Low wifi speeds, low signal strength

Redx11

27 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Hi

using your iPhone install this app below and then run it and see what your connection rate is. Test it at around 6ft away and see what the results are. 
it’s a very good and handy app for finding problems with WiFi.

post back the results please.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/wi-fi-sweetspots/id855457383

Hello. So I downloaded this on both my Android and iPhone devices and it shows 300+ speeds which is great. 

But when I check my speeds on common different websites. It shows 90mbs.

Now I am confused. 

14 minutes ago, Redx11 said:

Ok that’s great. WiFi Sweetspots just shows your internal WiFi throughput so here you show 300 plus which is fine but now we need to find out why you don’t get your full speeds on WiFi. 
WiFi will not achieve the same throughput as wired but I would expect to see at least 350mbps. 
May I ask have you checked with a WiFi scanner what neighbouring channels are in use? 
Are you in a property like a flat where there are lots of WiFi flying about.

Airport utility has a way of doing a scan and showing all local WiFi and can be done with your iPhone if you don’t have a scanner. I can talk you through that if needed.

when you test your speed it’s best to have a nice quiet network so make sure only one device is connected so you get a fairly accurate reading.

what speed test sites are you using ie.dslreports and so on?

How is the router positioned within the property and is there any electrical equipment nearby?

The test shows your WiFi is working at a good level so the issue is not hardware or software but more likely something unique to your property or servers used to speed check.

have you ever had wifi issues in the past with your last router?

Guest Killhippie

Have you got any older Wi-Fi devices i'e 802.11n as sometimes the speed of a network can be slowed down by the limitation of one device on 5Ghz which uses 802n, as that will slow down an ac network. Also what is the structure of the walls in your property and is your router place up high and central in the property as well.

I'm having Signal strength issues and sometimes, old devices wont find the wireless signal.

To put it on perspective, is on par with the R1's WiFi strength wise, but with more devices issues.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Tua PR said:

I'm having Signal strength issues and sometimes, old devices wont find the wireless signal.

To put it on perspective, is on par with the R1's WiFi strength wise, but with more devices issues.

Hi Tua PR, Thanks for purchasing the R2. Could you please create a new thread and we'll help you there? Your issue is different to the OP.

@Netduma Anas will access your router and see if he can increase it. Can you please allow "Netduma Tech Support" in the Settings section?

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Tua PR said:

I have made a new topic for you and the devs to continue with this issue, please post there and let us know once you've enabled the remote access option.

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/32054-r2-signal-strength-issue/

• Netduma Staff
5 minutes ago, Netduma Iain said:

Hi Tua PR, Thanks for purchasing the R2. Could you please create a new thread and we'll help you there? Your issue is different to the OP.

@Netduma Anas will access your router and see if he can increase it. Can you please allow "Netduma Tech Support" in the Settings section?

Thanks for reporting Tua PR. We are expanding the available wifi channels on the next firmware so could you please test in the next firmware on channels 52 - 140 on 5G and let us know if you can see any improvements.

• Netduma Staff
On 8/8/2020 at 1:04 AM, Redx11 said:

Hello! 

Former xr500 owner here, I love Dumaos and as you see I got R2 day one.

Here are some of my basic info: Based in NYC, have the newest 3.1 Netgear Cable Modem. have 1000gb download/50mb upload from ISP. 

After setting the router up, I ran into a couple of issues. 

1. When I run ookla Speedtest via a wired connection, i get my normal "800mb" speeds. I also get these speeds in the internal R2 Speed test. Now went i connect via wifi/Chrome OS laptop, i get an abysmal "90mb" speed on Ookla. When i run the internal router speedtest, i once again get the 800+ speeds. my wifi strength also lowered from strong to medium and even weak in same place i usually sit at. 

i havent really tinkered with the settings yet but i am wondering what should i do or where should i start?

thanks!

Hi Redx11,

Thanks for purchasing a Netduma R2 unit. We are going to release a new firmware where we have expanded the available wifi channels if you can check different 5G channels that might have less interference and let us know how it works.

Guest Killhippie
2 minutes ago, Netduma Casey said:

Hi we're also going to be adding a tool to help troubleshoot low WiFi speeds.

Sounds good, also for anyone on Android phones download the free Wi-Fi Analyser which can help you see what channel and how much its effecting your Wi-Fi, plus channel suggestions.If ou have iOS download the Apple Airport utility which is free, go to its settings in settings> general and set it to scan then return to the app, that will show you all channels including hidden and their strength and frequency, its just no way near as elegant as Wi-Fi Analyser.