Low wifi speeds, low signal strength

Redx11

Hello! 

Former xr500 owner here, I love Dumaos and as you see I got R2 day one.

Here are some of my basic info: Based in NYC, have the newest 3.1 Netgear Cable Modem. have 1000gb download/50mb upload from ISP. 

After setting the router up, I ran into a couple of issues. 

1. When I run ookla Speedtest via a wired connection, i get my normal "800mb" speeds. I also get these speeds in the internal R2 Speed test. Now went i connect via wifi/Chrome OS laptop, i get an abysmal "90mb" speed on Ookla. When i run the internal router speedtest, i once again get the 800+ speeds. my wifi strength also lowered from strong to medium and even weak in same place i usually sit at. 

i havent really tinkered with the settings yet but i am wondering what should i do or where should i start?

thanks!

• Administrators

Hi Red - thanks for being one of the first to order! 

First thing to check is making sure your chrome book has connected to the 5GHz WiFi band. The fact you’re getting 90mbps makes it sound like you could be on the 2.4GHz band (which maxes out at about 90mbps). Simplest way to find out is to go on the DumaOS Device Manager when connected as that will show which band you are on. If it’s on 2.4GHz then look for Netduma R2 5G in your wireless search. 

In terms of range, you could play around with the wireless channels to see if you get better signal. The obvious point to make here is the R2 WiFi is solid, but it’s not as strong as the XR500s, hence the ~$150 price difference. 

thanks so much for the quick reply!

I can confirm that i am on the 5ghz band. i also just moved the router closer to my device so i understand! 

any help on the 90mb speeds?

Its the same speed for my other devices as well. Phone and tablet. 

• Administrators

Are the WiFi settings mirrored? If so I would suggest disabling this and setting them up individually and manually connecting some of your devices to 5GHz. Do you still get 90mbps speeds then? I would recommend for the channels you use a WiFi analyzer (should be able to find one for free) to find the least congested channels in your area and then change to that.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are the WiFi settings mirrored? If so I would suggest disabling this and setting them up individually and manually connecting some of your devices to 5GHz. Do you still get 90mbps speeds then? I would recommend for the channels you use a WiFi analyzer (should be able to find one for free) to find the least congested channels in your area and then change to that.

Hi Fraser, 

just did this and found a empty channel and still. same sub 100mbps speeds. 

Thank you for helping

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you using PPPoE, DHCP Identifiers or IPv6 at all? If you disable QoS completely from the Congestion Control 3 line option menu do you get faster speeds then?

I have IPv6 turned on. I also disabled QoS completely and my speeds bumped up to 101mbps. 

let me know my next steps or test.

• Administrators

What speeds do you get to Speedtest.net when you're connected via ethernet to the router? Could you also disable IPv6 from WAN and LAN and see if that improves it please?

Are you antennae in optimal positions? Do you have any wireless devices e.g. wireless headphones within 3 feet of the router? If so move them away as they may interfere with the signal.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What speeds do you get to Speedtest.net when you're connected via ethernet to the router? Could you also disable IPv6 from WAN and LAN and see if that improves it please?

Are you antennae in optimal positions? Do you have any wireless devices e.g. wireless headphones within 3 feet of the router? If so move them away as they may interfere with the signal.

via ethernet, i get 800mb+

i have actually just disabled the IPv6 from both WAN and LAN as you mentioned and no change. I cleared out any  physical devices nearby and have tried using wifi right next to the antennae and the same. 

actually right now after disabling IPv6, i keep getting a no IP addresses error on all of my devices. 

• Administrators

Thank you very much for the information. Okay re-enable IPv6 and it should be fine. I will have to pass this on to the developers to take a look at, they may have some more questions to ask or might want to remote into your router on Monday. Thank you for your patience and apologies that you're experiencing this issue, I'm confident we'll be able to get this resolved with the help of the developers.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you very much for the information. Okay re-enable IPv6 and it should be fine. I will have to pass this on to the developers to take a look at, they may have some more questions to ask or might want to remote into your router on Monday. Thank you for your patience and apologies that you're experiencing this issue, I'm confident we'll be able to get this resolved with the help of the developers.

Ok thanks! I will for further instructions

17 minutes ago, Redx11 said:

Ok thanks! I will for further instructions

Hi

have you reset the WiFi settings on your mobile devices or at least one to see if that helps.

theres an app called WiFi Sweetspots, could you install that. This shows the connection rate between the router and your device. 
On 5ghz you should see around 350mbps or there about. It will be handy to test as it will show if the WiFi is throwing out the right spec and will be handy to check if you are on 5ghz.

you can also use it to plot your property to find the best place for the router to obtain max coverage.

• Administrators

Hi @Redx11, firstly thanks for supporting Netduma.

Have you got an iPhone or Android, they are usually the best devices for testing Wi-Fi. Could you try run a speedtest on one of them near the unit. What speeds do you get? You should be getting over 300mbits consistently.

1 hour ago, Netduma Iain said:

Hi @Redx11, firstly thanks for supporting Netduma.

Have you got an iPhone or Android, they are usually the best devices for testing Wi-Fi. Could you try run a speedtest on one of them near the unit. What speeds do you get? You should be getting over 300mbits consistently.

Hello Iain, 

I am right next to the router and same speeds. I have also changed my DNS settings and still the same speeds. 

Different wifi devices and everything

• Administrators

Just another quick suggestion for you to try please as confirmed by another user: Disable Port Scan Protection & Syn Flood Protection in Settings please and then retry a speed test in the scenario Iain mentioned.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Redx11 said:

Hello Iain, 

I am right next to the router and same speeds. I have also changed my DNS settings and still the same speeds. 

Different wifi devices and everything

Could you be specific please as it will help us troubleshoot. What devices did you test on? As mentioned before the most reliable Wi-Fi testing device is new iPhone/Android

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just another quick suggestion for you to try please as confirmed by another user: Disable Port Scan Protection & Syn Flood Protection in Settings please and then retry a speed test in the scenario Iain mentioned.

Just did everything and same speeds on pixel 4 Android device and on different speed test sites. 

22 minutes ago, Netduma Iain said:

Could you be specific please as it will help us troubleshoot. What devices did you test on? As mentioned before the most reliable Wi-Fi testing device is new iPhone/Android

I tested speeds on pixel book , pixel 4, Iphone XR and surface book pro 

• Administrators

ok that is strange, can you take a screen shot of your device-manager tree and post here please. Also can you attach a screenshot of your wireless settings as well please.

15 minutes ago, Netduma Iain said:

ok that is strange, can you take a screen shot of your device-manager tree and post here please. Also can you attach a screenshot of your wireless settings as well please.

Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 10.07.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 10.07.03 AM.png

1 minute ago, Netduma Iain said:

Sorry, could you click on the WiFi tab please. Also would you be able to provide TV access to a wireless unit for us to debug?

sure, i just downloaded team viewer for my pixelbook.  

Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 10.12.48 AM.png

Hi

using your iPhone install this app below and then run it and see what your connection rate is. Test it at around 6ft away and see what the results are. 
it’s a very good and handy app for finding problems with WiFi.

post back the results please.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/wi-fi-sweetspots/id855457383

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Redx11 said:

sure, i just downloaded team viewer for my pixelbook.  

Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 10.12.48 AM.png

Only thing unusual is "Don't Broadcast Network Name" is disabled. That feature will not have been tested very much. Can you try enabling that and see if the speeds improve please?

4 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Hi

using your iPhone install this app below and then run it and see what your connection rate is. Test it at around 6ft away and see what the results are. 
it’s a very good and handy app for finding problems with WiFi.

post back the results please.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/wi-fi-sweetspots/id855457383

Please try this advice as well. Thanks Newfie