Fttp

kinel

Im just curious about upgrading from fttc to fttp

Have any members went from fttc to fttp 

Im just wandering  if it will make my ping even lower

Atm its sround10 ms to my local dedis

10 ms is brillilliant  but if fttp may make it lower i might be intested in trying to upgrade

I am only intested in the ping

I know it would increase my download and upload speeds but i aint bothered about that really

All advice welcome

It would depend on how far you are off your dedi and how far the cabinet is where your FTTC connects to. It's it's right around the corner it won't make much difference.

21 hours ago, Bert said:

It would depend on how far you are off your dedi and how far the cabinet is where your FTTC connects to. It's it's right around the corner it won't make much difference.

Thanks

Guest Killhippie
21 hours ago, Bert said:

Bert you have it the wrong way around FTTP is pure fibre to the premises, the cabinet distance does not matter at all as that only effects FTTC and G.Fast. Pings may well be lower. However most people would also enjoy the benefits of improved download and upload throughput for future proofing their network.

40 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Bert you have it the wrong way around FTTP is pure fibre to the premises, the cabinet distance does not matter at all as that only effects FTTC and G.Fast. Pings may well be lower. However most people would also enjoy the benefits of improved download and upload throughput for future proofing their network.

I think what Bert meant was if the FTTC cab is right round the corner (thus you will have a low ping) then having FTTP will probably not decrease the base ping by much if at all.

45 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

I think what Bert meant was if the FTTC cab is right round the corner (thus you will have a low ping) then having FTTP will probably not decrease the base ping by much if at all.

Exactly this.

If you remember RL he lived right next to the FTTC cabinet. I think he was on 7ms to his local server, which was 60km away or so.

You can have lower baseping with FTTP/FTTH by simply eliminating the DSL component but I doubt it's much. Unless you have a huge distance to the cabinet.

The biggest advantage of FTTP is you usually get a symmetrical upload / download.

At those low latency's it's more important how your ISP is connected up to 3rd party backbone and internet exchange points. In Holland my place is about 70km from the server and I get about 7ms, the people that live in Amsterdam get about 5ms I would think. I don't think FTTP would decrease that very much as it's going from the ISP network to a 3rd party backbone across AMS-IX and then to the game server.

4 hours ago, Bert said:

Exactly this.

If you remember RL he lived right next to the FTTC cabinet. I think he was on 7ms to his local server, which was 60km away or so.

You can have lower baseping with FTTP/FTTH by simply eliminating the DSL component but I doubt it's much. Unless you have a huge distance to the cabinet.

The biggest advantage of FTTP is you usually get a symmetrical upload / download.

At those low latency's it's more important how your ISP is connected up to 3rd party backbone and internet exchange points. In Holland my place is about 70km from the server and I get about 7ms, the people that live in Amsterdam get about 5ms I would think. I don't think FTTP would decrease that very much as it's going from the ISP network to a 3rd party backbone across AMS-IX and then to the game server.

Yeah, I still talk with RL from time to time.

I too live a stones throw away from my cab... I would have a 7ms ping if my line wasn't forever on interleaving.

Being close to the cabinet does not make your ping lower it will however give you a lot of SNRM headroom.

Being close to your ISP and your ISP having good routing will give you the lowest ping.

Guest Killhippie

Some ISPs routing is all over the place, mine is dependant where you are in the country, although a friend with Zen living in southern England has been routed though Manchester at times. I'm with IDNet and get routed  via London though either LONAP or Linx depending where on the south coast you are. I get a 7ms ping to London and 13ms to Amsterdam and 30ms to Frankfurt on FTTC, but IDNet do have 700 peering agreements in place which makes then great for gaming, streaming etc, AAISP are very much the same, most small ISP's are built this way.

Hey kinel, we are in the process from gong to fiber to curb to fiber to home.. Our town has started its own fiber ISP.. We are doing it for symmetrical speeds. I cant say yet for sure latency will be any different.. If it is it will be minimal.. But im excited to get symmetrical speeds.. Im on the broadband board here for our town that has helped build out our CO-OP fiber company.. We have had enough of these Corporate ISP that rely on only there stocks.. Then never invest into there own network.. So we took matters into our own hands..

Zippy..