Packet Loss in Cod

Hi Guys,

I got this router xr500 i have QOS on and im lagging in Call of Duty alot i keep getting packloss sign. 

I get a reset to the router and it was fine a for a bit and then again it happened, i get 1gb download and 35upload. But i set the router to 500mbps to download and 20up at 70%, since its cable and the speed isnt consistent. But i dont know what to do now, i called the provider they said that connection is fine from there end.

image.png.50a80bf3338118dc2f17768ff26b1743.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If you do a PingPlotter test (using wired PC) to a local website when nothing is using the internet do you see any packet loss there? It's quite possible that it is just the game, I'd suggest using the Geo-Filter to force some different servers, even ones slightly further away and see if they play any better.

I went through weeks of notes & settings and hours upon hours of testing when I purchased my Duma R1 back in the day. Tweaking your settings takes some time, so take notes what works for your gigabit asymmetrical connection. Make sure you backup your settings every couple weeks. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here, Welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 2:59 PM, Sukhi said:

Hi Guys,

I got this router xr500 i have QOS on and im lagging in Call of Duty alot i keep getting packloss sign. 

I get a reset to the router and it was fine a for a bit and then again it happened, i get 1gb download and 35upload. But i set the router to 500mbps to download and 20up at 70%, since its cable and the speed isnt consistent. But i dont know what to do now, i called the provider they said that connection is fine from there end.

image.png.50a80bf3338118dc2f17768ff26b1743.png

You must make sure that your download & upload speeds is close to the speed test results.

I was having packet drops as well & the culprit was that I putting the test results either too high or too low in the buffer bloat section. My sliders were left at 70%.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 3:03 AM, Zirkawn said:

may i ask is cox your provider? 

Sorry i did not see this..No its Rogers, i live in toronto

On 5/27/2020 at 12:04 PM, qpierce said:

You must make sure that your download & upload speeds is close to the speed test results.

I was having packet drops as well & the culprit was that I putting the test results either too high or too low in the buffer bloat section. My sliders were left at 70%.

So i dropped my internet speed for bufferbloat to 500 and then set it to 70%...same issue.

I've been noticing severe lag spikes in COD MW.  

I am running QOS at 70/70 and getting A+ for all tests at DSLreports.
I have Telus 1GB fiber. 

I think its the games dedicated servers, these issues started once Warzone was released. 

This is PC Modern warfare with cross play enabled.

Nyd

28 minutes ago, nyder said:

I've been noticing severe lag spikes in COD MW.  

I am running QOS at 70/70 and getting A+ for all tests at DSLreports.
I have Telus 1GB fiber. 

I think its the games dedicated servers, these issues started once Warzone was released. 

This is PC Modern warfare with cross play enabled.

Nyd

You are feeling spike, I have the packetloss warning on my screen all the time when I multiplayer. And i feel im skipping in most games. 

1 minute ago, Sukhi said:

Here is my Ping potter: 

First one is with the modem

and second is with the xr500

XR500.JPG

No Router - Just rogers.JPG

Sorry its backwards.

Top is with XR500 

And bottom is no router. 

Hi, I will disable ipv6 (i thought that would make it better for connection). QoS was set to alway. Only the laptop was connected wired to the router. 

17 hours ago, Sukhi said:

You are feeling spike, I have the packetloss warning on my screen all the time when I multiplayer. And i feel im skipping in most games. 

I feel the skipping and get the symbol.  Some games everything is perfect, others I get the packet loss.

This game is the bane of my existence. 

3 minutes ago, Sukhi said:

Hi, I will disable ipv6 (i thought that would make it better for connection). QoS was set to alway. Only the laptop was connected wired to the router. 

IPv6 support for gaming really isn't ready for prime time. I would for sure keep IPv6 disabled, if you're gaming.

3 minutes ago, nyder said:

I feel the skipping and get the symbol.  Some games everything is perfect, others I get the packet loss.

There's no question some of the servers used for COD, are bad, and have high latency, and lag. Normally you can tell if a server/lobby is bad early game, if it is, I suggest leaving the game. As there's no sense in staying in a laggy server.

Anti bufferbloat does not really affect packet loss too much.

The issue you have to resolve is where your packets are being dropped and why. Ie on a backbone somewhere, at your ISP, or at the server. 

What is your in game packet loss %?

2 hours ago, Bert said:

Anti bufferbloat does not really affect packet loss too much.

The issue you have to resolve is where your packets are being dropped and why. Ie on a backbone somewhere, at your ISP, or at the server. 

What is your in game packet loss %?

It can have an effect on a slower connection, but if you've got a connection over 100mbits or so, it's unlikely to help...

So to narrow down the issue, I find PingPlotter to be a pretty good tool. Unfortunately there's often not much you can do about a problem outside of your house but I guess it's good to know who you need to write your complaint emails to! If you can prove that the issue is outside of your house, your ISP will have more pressure to do something about it. They'll try to get rid of you by blaming your internal network setup, so you've gotta be ready with the evidence.