Long wait for games when forcing different servers

Squizz

Hi guys, so I live in the UK and due to the poor experience I have in this game I try forcing different servers to try out (eg Spain, Germany etc) or even just place my geofilter over continental europe in general to see if things improve. However, it means I have to wait more than at least 5mins at a time for a game, even in well populated game modes. Is this a typical experience when using the geofilter? Also in game it also still shows I am in the UK, it just shows me as London when I live in Yorkshire lol but this might just be because of my IP. Anyway I'd appreciate any input regarding your experiences and if this is normal or not. Thanks.

Try this. Before turning on your console, expand the geophilter along UK to make sure it connects to the PS Plus/Xbox live servers, and then turn on console.
Once the console is on, do not enter the game yet. Set your geo-philter in the region you want to play and enter the game. 

If during the game you want to change regio, set the geophilter in the wished region, exit the gme, and enter again.

Same problem here, I live in Liverpool but for me the best game play experience is when I play in the Italy or Spain servers, ( I´m spanish btw ), but it takes like 5 minutes between games to find a lobby so is super annoying and time consuming..So what I do is just disable the geo filter and play in the UK...I can´t wait 5 minutes between matches...

9 hours ago, Grafti said:

Try this. Before turning on your console, expand the geophilter along UK to make sure it connects to the PS Plus/Xbox live servers, and then turn on console.
Once the console is on, do not enter the game yet. Set your geo-philter in the region you want to play and enter the game. 

If during the game you want to change regio, set the geophilter in the wished region, exit the gme, and enter again.

I do usually restart the game if I move it but gotta admit I dont usually have it covering the UK on boot up cos i assumed the Ireland authentication server being whitelisted made it unnecessary. I'll be sure to try that, thanks pal.

8 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

Yep. When I was camping the Spanish server, I was sometimes waiting 5 mins for a match of TDM, KC or Dom.

Even when I added the French server, it didn't really help. With the geo filter off, I find matches within seconds.

Yep same here. No geofilter I'm straight into a game and as soon as that one ends I'm usually in another game/lobby instantly. Maybe it's just how it is then.

8 hours ago, mercuryin said:

Same problem here, I live in Liverpool but for me the best game play experience is when I play in the Italy or Spain servers, ( I´m spanish btw ), but it takes like 5 minutes between games to find a lobby so is super annoying and time consuming..So what I do is just disable the geo filter and play in the UK...I can´t wait 5 minutes between matches...

Yeah I seem to have the best experience playing on the Spain servers, ironically I do tend to see alot of English people on them, which makes me believe either it's all you guys lol... or that somehow people have that shite of a ping they end up on it naturally (very unlikely IMO). But sometimes I'm waiting so long it's a bit tedious so I know what you mean... and I'm going for Damascus, so I really need to just play matches. But then I also need a good connection to be competitive going against all the M4s and MP5s lol. Theres no winning. 

55 minutes ago, Squizz said:

Yeah I seem to have the best experience playing on the Spain servers, ironically I do tend to see alot of English people on them, 

I only had spanish folk on there at first but now its mostly english, french and germans.

3 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

I only had spanish folk on there at first but now its mostly english, french and germans.

Yea this weekend has been fucking terrible for connections on that Spanish dedi, french players and Germans every lobby. Makes no sense.

32 minutes ago, Sable said:

Yea this weekend has been fucking terrible for connections on that Spanish dedi, french players and Germans every lobby. Makes no sense.

You've got nukes. Its probably SBMM screwing you over just like its doing to me.

• Administrators
On 2/3/2020 at 8:46 AM, Squizz said:

Hi guys, so I live in the UK and due to the poor experience I have in this game I try forcing different servers to try out (eg Spain, Germany etc) or even just place my geofilter over continental europe in general to see if things improve. However, it means I have to wait more than at least 5mins at a time for a game, even in well populated game modes. Is this a typical experience when using the geofilter? Also in game it also still shows I am in the UK, it just shows me as London when I live in Yorkshire lol but this might just be because of my IP. Anyway I'd appreciate any input regarding your experiences and if this is normal or not. Thanks.

It depends, if it's really trying hard to put you on a different server then yes it could take longer as you're trying to force something else. You're making it do something it doesn't want to essentially. Yes that is because of your IP. Advice above was good, if you set your Geo-Filter to force a different server while the console is off and then boot it up then you may find games faster then.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It depends, if it's really trying hard to put you on a different server then yes it could take longer as you're trying to force something else. You're making it do something it doesn't want to essentially. Yes that is because of your IP. Advice above was good, if you set your Geo-Filter to force a different server while the console is off and then boot it up then you may find games faster then.

Yeah I guessed it was kinda because everything still knows I'm physically in the UK and not in Spain, just wanted to be certain it was normal behaviour. Thanks for clarifying that and I will take the advice and see how I fare. Thanks mate

for me too, spanish & italian servers are the best so far for me , sometimes the french server is ok, sometimes not, and i've no difficulty to find matchs, never had to wait more than 30 sec

even with a moderate nat , opening the nat will destroy my hitreg

Hi Squizz,

Which COD?

I find the Geo-Filter map lights up like a Christmas tree when I play WWII, but if I play MW it takes ages to put me in a game, when I have Filtering Mode enabled. MW seems very particular in matchmaking whereas other games don’t. 

37 minutes ago, Bat 'n' Ball said:

Hi Squizz,

Which COD?

I find the Geo-Filter map lights up like a Christmas tree when I play WWII, but if I play MW it takes ages to put me in a game, when I have Filtering Mode enabled. MW seems very particular in matchmaking whereas other games don’t. 

Could be the SBMM at play since its not location or connection based. Or it could be that more peoples are playing WW2 than MW which wouldn't actually surprise me one bit.

33 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

Could be the SBMM at play since its not location or connection based. Or it could be that more peoples are playing WW2 than MW which wouldn't actually surprise me one bit.

If I use Spectating Mode with MW, I get shoved into a game almost straight away, but if I use Filtering Mode I can be waiting minutes.

If I play WWII (or GTA V for that matter), I don't have any of the waiting issues I do with MW in Filtering Mode.

I'm not convinced it's SBMM.

6 hours ago, Bat 'n' Ball said:

Hi Squizz,

Which COD?

Hi pal

Yeah its MW I'm talking about. Yeah the matchmaking is quite bizarre in this game with the splitting of lobbies and SBMM at play. Could possibly be something to do with that.

5 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

I have been wondering if it's this. I'm not amazing but I'm plenty decent, had lots of nukes in past games, but rarely get above a 15 streak in this game lol. I'm doing damascus though so most of the time I'm using off meta weapons too, so that doesn't help. I'm of the opinion SBMM belongs in ranked (or it at least needs toning down for pubs).

8 minutes ago, Squizz said:

I have been wondering if it's this. I'm not amazing but I'm plenty decent, had lots of nukes in past games, but rarely get above a 15 streak in this game 

15!!! I struggle to get a 3 now!

Was getting regular 10s and VTOLs, struggle to get a UAV now. I can't even camp and do well.

5 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

15!!! I struggle to get a 3 now!

Was getting regular 10s and VTOLs, struggle to get a UAV now. I can't even camp and do well.

Yeah I meant 15 is an absolute stormer of a kill streak for me in this game lol. Very rare that it happens. Every game feels like I'm playing GBs and it's super sweaty, everyone is running meta weapons and are very good players in terms of map and spawn knowledge etc.

17 minutes ago, Squizz said:

everyone is running meta weapons and are very good players in terms of map and spawn knowledge etc.

All I'm getting mostly is campers that just hold up on a point and wait for someone to peak. Most of them would get trashed at any other CoD.

Hi Squizz,

I have just completed some highly testicle, sorry ‘technical’ and scientific experiments (not), and the highly scientific testicle conclusion I have come to is that the DumaOS/Modern Warfare combination is f’d. 

Seriously, I have genuine doubts whether the DumaOS is handling Modern Warfare network traffic correctly at all.

For example, when I start COD World War II from the PlayStation 4 menu, this is the DumaOS startup flow when it is ‘Connecting to online services’:

•    The DumaOS Geo-Filter screen lights up with lots of dedicated server icons from round the world
•    During a live game, DumaOS seems to correctly identify the server icon (dedicated or peer) which is handling the session
•    There are approximately the right amount of player icons for the game in progress.
•    Screen video capture here: 

The above is how you would expect the DumaOS to handle this game. So far, so good...

But let’s put COD aside for one moment, here is the DumaOS startup flow when I start GTA V Online from the PlayStation 4 menu:

•    The DumaOS Geo-Filter screen lights up with player icons from round the world (to my knowledge, GTA V Online does not use dedicated servers, it’s P2P, so DumaOS doing its job correctly)
•    During a live game, DumaOS seems to correctly identify the peer server icon which is handling the session
•    There are approximately the right amount of player icons for the game in progress

Once again, DumaOS seems to be correctly handling the above game as you would expect.

In contrast to the above two games, this is the DumaOS startup flow when I start COD Modern Warfare from the PlayStation 4 menu, and it is ‘Connecting to online services’:

•    The DumaOS Geo-Filter screen lights up with ambiguous dedicated server and player icons overlaid over one another **
•    During a live game, DumaOS sometimes identifies the server icon (dedicated or peer) which is handling the session
•    Few, but usually no player icons at all, appear on the Geo-Filter screen for the game in progress (despite 12 people being in the session)

All the tests above were done in Spectating Mode. But, if you further restrict the already inaccurate detection of MW player/servers with the Geo-Filter, think this is where your problem lies, Squizz.

I too have problems with MW in particular when setting my home location somewhere miles away from where I live. This isn't an issue with other games. It's just MW.

I love my XR500 (strokes it like Blofeld’s cat) but if you want to do some Geo-Filtering sourcery with it, MW will be more miss than hit.

Sorry for the long post 😁

** P.S. Reporting mislocated servers and server types via the online form is all well and good but months after MW's release, this approach is obviously not working.

• Administrators

Thanks for doing a thorough test, it does look like we are missing quite a few servers for the game and they could be mislocated as well. I will get on to Alex about this, as far as I was aware the updates the cloud has had since launch should have resolved this. Also regarding having players shown in the game that won't always happen, especially if you're connecting to a dedicated server.