SBMM & Reverse Boosting: Down the rabbit hole....

Bert

So, tonight I tried a little expiriment.

I have my old PS4 Slim around since I have a PS4 Pro system since a few days. Made a new account today, hooked up the PS4 Slim to a 720P plasma TV from 2005, set up the wifi connection to my XR500, no traffic rules, geofiltering or nothing. No headset, just sitting on the sofa with my feet on the table.

I was attempting to reverse boost the account, so I went playing like a total noob. Just go through the map at walking speed no ADS, just hipfire at enemies. After 2 games the enemies were so shockingly bad that I had to be carefull not to go positive while hipfiring like that. From level 4 I just played the standard classes, so a AUG or Kilo without attachments. It's just amazing. I can walk right in the middle of the map on Crash by the helicopter, without getting shot at all.  Almost no claymores or mines, a few people prone but not a single player jumpshotting. I would litterally stand there hipfiring from 20 meters and they would be unable to hit a slow or stationary target. Even had multiple hipfire kill across half the map, was meaning to miss but killed them by accident LMAO. Played 20 games in total. Game 15 was a FFA game on Vacant and I was down 5-10, could not control myself any longer and won the game with 30-12 LOL. Game 16 actually had better enemies right away, not god tier but noticably better so went back to my routine before. Game 17 was on Shipment, here I was able to pull off a 23-13 just slow walking and hipfiring with a no attachment kilo. Up to game 15 I was actually at 0.5 K/D / 80 SPM, but after that at game 20 I ended 0.72 K/D 126 SPM.

Some observations:

1. I checked the ping for every game, all my games were on the Amsterdam server. I litterally had no connection issues at all over these 20 games.

2. I found all games litterally within 5 seconds, on my main account this absolutely takes ages, sometimes 10 minutes with geofiltering on.

3. Out of 20 games, 19 had session joiners or reverse boosters in the lobby. So the whole purpose of SBMM is kinda defeated.

4. In those lobbies, there is only a handfull players with headsets, in my normal lobbies everybody plays with a headset.

Playing like this kinda makes you wonder why we are beeing daft spending all that money on 1ms screens, scuf controllers, headsets, special routers etc. The better stuff you buy the harder the game gets for you with this SBMM.

I can see why IW isn't listening to the complaints about matchmaking or other things though. If you play the game like that the lobbies are totally different. Dead silence doesn't matter since nobody uses a headset anyway. Weapon balance doesn't matter since your enemies miss so many shots you might as well poke them with a stick. Netcode, lagcompensation etc all of that don't matter since they react so slow you wouldn't be able to tell. If you play just casually on the TV and you don't read reddit etc you would not know about any of this.

I tried session joining this account with my main account one game. It's actually not so easy since these lobbies tend to fill in a few seconds. But once you do manage to get in, you get a genuine bot lobby. I also tried partying up with that account as host and this gives harder enemies but not as hard as I normally get, more right between the two.

I know you just wanted to experiment. But the fact of the matter is, that you had thought about doing this. As this was never the case in older CoD's pre-SBMM. Just get on and play. I'm 100% certain that a few high profiling CoD users does this. That is, joining a new lobby account to upload gameplay on youtube. Needs to make sure get them below 2 minute nukes and traffic right?

Thanks for sharing your observations and experience.

Plasma TV's have nearly instantaneous response times.

You have to set your consoles output to 720p so the TV does no downscaling to stop the processing lag and your golden.

Just pointing this out as plasma rocks for gaming :)

SBMM has been in these titles for donkeys years, the low TTK and the campy nature of the map design has pushed this to the for front of peoples minds on this title.

How many years have we seen threads upon threads about I shot first, (bullets purposely missing by the algorithm because the enemy has had a few bad games previously) or the time you felt untouchable and you go on massive streaks.

It is all about money for the game developers / distributors everyone has a great game some of the time so they are more likely to spend money, I get that it is a business but it makes gaming in these times frustrating.

I agree that SBMM has been around since long, but in this game it is noticeable because of it's strict implementation, it's so damn thick. Hell, even the dev went on record talking about SBMM, and how they want to protect NEW players. This has never happened in previous COD's. The skill gap is already so narrow in this game, and SBMM is the icing on the cake. 

Just as microtransactions was a hot topic before MW launch (because BO4 messed it up), I think SMBB will be the boiling topic before launch of next COD. (because MW messed it up lol).