XR300 GUI full of "nil" values

Help!!! I just noticed that the reason I'm lagging is that moving the sliders on the Anti-buffer bloat control does not have any effect. (XR300 1.0.1.4_10.1.4.). 10% or 100% makes no difference whatsoever. 

9 hours ago, SM961 said:

which one is the server on this screenshot?

Screenshot - 2019-11-21T163217.252.png

The rectangle that's near the two people and not inside a circle. The bigger rectangle. That's the server... I think.

8 hours ago, SM961 said:

Help!!! I just noticed that the reason I'm lagging is that moving the sliders on the Anti-buffer bloat control does not have any effect. (XR300 1.0.1.4_10.1.4.). 10% or 100% makes no difference whatsoever. 

Set Anti-Bufferbloat to Always while we test this. Open the side menu and make sure that Disable QoS isn't ticked.

Are you using any non-standard WAN settings such as PPPoE or VLAN?

5 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

The rectangle that's near the two people and not inside a circle. The bigger rectangle. That's the server... I think.

Set Anti-Bufferbloat to Always while we test this. Open the side menu and make sure that Disable QoS isn't ticked.

No, I'm using standard settings. It was working fine, I will use another firmware it looks like this firmware stop working and I also I see I'm connected but I have no internet. 

5 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

No, PPPoE or VLAN, I'm using standard settings. I 

So, right now I'm running XR300 1.0.3.34_10.3.27 firmware update, so far I have only experience wifi disconnections. Anti bluffer bloat seems to be working no problems.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you provide a screenshot with what happens on the 300 please? I'd suggest saturating your connection and then following this guide and trying different percentages to see what brings it down the most and keeps it stable: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Screenshot - 2019-11-22T210805.742.png

• Administrators

Both Geo-Filters are using the same Cloud Database (our database of the world's IP addresses and their locations) - so they should be working very similarly.

I assume both Geo-Filter screenshots are from the same gaming device and same game? Because the XR300 looks like it's working correctly, i.e. a server outside your range has been blocked. So did you then see it allow a nearby server when you continued search?

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Both Geo-Filters are using the same Cloud Database (our database of the world's IP addresses and their locations) - so they should be working very similarly.

I assume both Geo-Filter screenshots are from the same gaming device and same game? Because the XR300 looks like it's working correctly, i.e. a server outside your range has been blocked. So did you then see it allow a nearby server when you continued search?

Yes, same device same settings from my R1, and same game BO3. No, I don't see any thing because it doesn't gets populated inside the circle so I was getting confused thinking that the triangle was the server, is there any way to get bigger icons or bigger legend, they are to small, R1 legends are better, bigger. 

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, SM961 said:

Yes, same device same settings from my R1, and same game BO3. No, I don't see any thing because it doesn't gets populated inside the circle so I was getting confused thinking that the triangle was the server, is there any way to get bigger icons or bigger legend, they are to small, R1 legends are better, bigger. 

We've designed them to be consistent with the zoom so you don't get them on top of each other. But it's good to know you would like an option to make them larger. I'll add this idea to our list of usability improvements.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 10:31 PM, C00LhandNUK3 said:

I recently upgraded from the R1 to the XR300 but so far I'm not impressed. The GUI seems really sluggish compared to the R1. But what is bothering me most right now is that the GUI has"nil" values all over the place. More than half the labels say "nil". Oddly, if I change the language to something other than English, the "nil"'s go away and (as near as I can tell) the right labels are there. Any thoughts on how to get this back on track?

Edit: Changing the Router IP back from 192.168.88.1 (my old R1 address) to the default 192.168.1.1 seems to have done the trick.

Screenshot 2019-09-04 22.22.56.png

I just purchased the XR300 about a week ago and am encountering this same issue. nil values all over the place, especially in the settings for the Geo-Filter. I tried what the OP suggested which was to change the router back to 192.etc and this didn't fix my issue. 

Is there a fix coming for this? Currently running XR300 1.0.3.38_10.3.30

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Mi6300m said:

I just purchased the XR300 about a week ago and am encountering this same issue. nil values all over the place, especially in the settings for the Geo-Filter. I tried what the OP suggested which was to change the router back to 192.etc and this didn't fix my issue.

Is there a fix coming for this? Currently running XR300 1.0.3.38_10.3.30

Yes there will be a fix coming for this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 8:31 AM, C00LhandNUK3 said:

I recently upgraded from the R1 to the XR300 but so far I'm not impressed. The GUI seems really sluggish compared to the R1. But what is bothering me most right now is that the GUI has"nil" values all over the place. More than half the labels say "nil". Oddly, if I change the language to something other than English, the "nil"'s go away and (as near as I can tell) the right labels are there. Any thoughts on how to get this back on track?

Edit: Changing the Router IP back from 192.168.88.1 (my old R1 address) to the default 192.168.1.1 seems to have done the trick.

Screenshot 2019-09-04 22.22.56.png

I have  been having the exact same issue on my brand new XR300.

So far the latest XR300 firmware seems to be a hot mess. "Nil" values everywhere, QoS High priority traffic detection not working very well for my PS4 pro if don't perform a daily router restart etc. 

On 12/17/2019 at 11:57 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes there will be a fix coming for this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Guys are some of the builds that are being published on the XR300 not getting QA tested at all perhaps? I see that here in this forum the "official" latest version of the XR300 firmware is this one:

1457824068_Screenshot2020-01-04at4_51_17PM.thumb.png.ee11548b6747f985b5ecab4fcc0b54ee.png

However when the XR300 auto-updated, it went to this firmware version instead:

2037334873_Screenshot2020-01-04at10_20_47AM.png.02ca6ca08378db32fdb34d1bc507747b.png

I mean this issue with the "nil" string values especially is so blatantly obvious that you ll encounter it after 30-40 seconds of smoke testing. So could it be that Netgear is pushing untested builds into production? Is it perhaps a better strategy to not update to the latest firmware that Netgear pushes but instead abide on what has been written on the before mentioned firmware forum post? 

• Administrators

I've posted replies to your questions elsewhere, it terms of how this managed to get past testing I'm really not sure but we are aware of it and it will be fixed so this shouldn't happen again. Also thanks for bringing the outdated forum link to our attention, I've now updated this.

It's my job to keep the firmware updates section of the forum up to date, so it's possible this is actually my mistake and I forgot to update it.

I'll look into this, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

FYI: All of our firmware goes through extensive QA testing at Netduma and also at Netgear. Sometimes Netgear publishes an update which doesn't involve our sections of the software, and in this situation it's possible we wouldn't be involved in the testing.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

It's my job to keep the firmware updates section of the forum up to date, so it's possible this is actually my mistake and I forgot to update it.

I'll look into this, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

No problem, don't even mention it. I was secretly hoping that the older version mentioned at the forum was somehow a more "stable" version of the XR300 firmware as the 1.0.3.38_10.3.30 seems to be one huge mess :(  

16 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Sometimes Netgear publishes an update which doesn't involve our sections of the software, and in this situation it's possible we wouldn't be involved in the testing.

Yeah I was thinking that this could be the case. Do you happen to know which of the XR300 firmwares were most throughly tested by both parties? I am currently on 1.0.3.38_10.3.30 and it is actually really bad  

Guest Killhippie

Auto update on routers is a nightmare and causes so many issues because firmware is badly tested. Better to check for updates manually and look for issues before applying new firmware, I always have auto update turned off just in case this kind of stuff happens.

Guest Killhippie
On 11/22/2019 at 10:12 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Alex, why do you consider PPPoE non standard? It's been around since 1999 and is a standard protocol for most DSL providers.

19 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Auto update on routers is a nightmare and causes so many issues because firmware is badly tested. Better to check for updates manually and look for issues before applying new firmware, I always have auto update turned off just in case this kind of stuff happens.

Yeah I couldn't agree more with that statement!

Which firmware are you rocking on your XR300?