Announcement: NETGEAR launch the Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR300 Router: Powered by DumaOS

• Administrators

NETGEAR have announced the latest addition to the Nighthawk Pro Gaming range, the Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR300 Router powered by our DumaOS.

It will be available worldwide in April and will retail at $199. Official press release here.

This is the start of several big announcements we'll have over the oncoming months, including our progress on DumaOS Milestone 1.4 which will bring even more features to your DumaOS powered router. Make sure you are signed up to our DumaOS Mailing List to be the first to hear about them. 

Thanks for your support,

The ND Team

1 hour ago, N3CR0 said:

Might consider this since I think I'm gonna sell the XR500.

On Amazon its only £20 cheaper than the XR500. Maybe not then...

The specs are not as good as the XR500 so I would be cautious before making a decision. If you can afford it then buy the XR300 on launch and return it if unhappy for a full refund. I have done that would countless items from amazon .............including routers :)

I bought the flagship ASUS ROG router a month or so ago to test it out and it does not compare to the XR700 or XR500 it is all bells and whistles and basically the Asus router firmware with a skin and 1 or 2 extra features.

29 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

The specs are not as good as the XR500 so I would be cautious before making a decision. If you can afford it then buy the XR300 on launch and return it if unhappy for a full refund. I have done that would countless items from amazon .............including routers :)

Maybe so but you know I had nothing but problems with the XR500. Been under my bed for the last year so think I may as well sell since others are still reporting the same problems I had so they obviously haven't been fixed. Also, compared to using the R1, I never found any consistency on CoD with the XR whereas with the R1, I do.

2 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

Maybe so but you know I had nothing but problems with the XR500. Been under my bed for the last year so think I may as well sell since others are still reporting the same problems I had so they obviously haven't been fixed. Also, compared to using the R1, I never found any consistency on CoD with the XR whereas with the R1, I do.

you have not tried it with the 2.3.2.40 Firmware? Mine purrs like a kitten.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#download

34 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

Nope and not bothered. My R1 with old firmware works better than the XR did with DumaOS.

Thats why I'm scared to go and buy one of these netgear routers. Not to mention we get the updates way before the netgear suits sit around a fkn table and finally decides to finally implement them in. I'll sit back in the weeds and wait until everything is ironed out.

6 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

Might consider this since I think I'm gonna sell the XR500.

On Amazon its only £20 cheaper than the XR500. Maybe not then...

usa the xr300 is 1.99 and the xr500 is 300 the xr 450 is 50$ less sometimes even 100$ less than the xr500.

2 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

Nope and not bothered. My R1 with old firmware works better than the XR did with DumaOS.

I mean if you dont try it then you cant really say that it doesnt work....updates happen for a reason. Even the R1 isnt perfect by any means and honestly its lower processing power is a bad thing esepecially for things like QOS, throughput, geofiltering. The faster the processer the faster things are computed and the better off you are 🤷‍♂️

Dont get me wrong, the R1 was a great breakthrough in gaming routers. But DumaOS is ready to take advantage of some snazzy features on routers that are able to handle these processes, in addtion to the ones it already has. Im considering it for sure. That 2.4ghz dropping is kinda getting old. I know I lived somewhere where there werent many routers around and that was probably why it worked great. Now I got 50 million routers all around me. 14 channels (11 that we can see) just isnt enough.

7 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Thats why I'm scared to go and buy one of these netgear routers. Not to mention we get the updates way before the netgear suits sit around a fkn table and finally decides to finally implement them in. I'll sit back in the weeds and wait until everything is ironed out.

Buying from Amazon means if you are not happy you have 30 days in which to use an item and return if not satisfied, it is a no-brainer. Many many people buy a router such as the Nighthawk or ROG to improve their connection but if you have a crap connection then no router in the world can resolve that as it can be caused by external issues outside your home such as poor wiring, poor isp infrastructure but everyone is quick to blame a router. I have had hundreds of routers and tested them, they are all the same but dumaOS offers more usable and beneficial features than other routers and that is why I have stuck by them for the past 3 years or so and will continue to do so.

5 hours ago, bbursley said:

usa the xr300 is 1.99 and the xr500 is 300 the xr 450 is 50$ less sometimes even 100$ less than the xr500.

The XR450 is a Costco exclusive and also has less capabilities than the XR500 which is why it costs less.

2 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

Buying from Amazon means if you are not happy you have 30 days in which to use an item and return if not satisfied, it is a no-brainer. Many many people buy a router such as the Nighthawk or ROG to improve their connection but if you have a crap connection then no router in the world can resolve that as it can be caused by external issues outside your home such as poor wiring, poor isp infrastructure but everyone is quick to blame a router. I have had hundreds of routers and tested them, they are all the same but dumaOS offers more usable and beneficial features than other routers and that is why I have stuck by them for the past 3 years or so and will continue to do so.

The XR450 is a Costco exclusive and also has less capabilities than the XR500 which is why it costs less.

Actually the only difference I could see in the two was wifi capability on the 2.4ghz side, big woop lol, 200mbits/s faster on the xr500 than the xr450, as if anyones gonna really notice that or even need to be on the 2.4ghz anyways. Also the xr450 has more flash than the xr500, I would much rather have more flash than less, as its essentially the storage of the device, I did this with my Asus to create a partition to store scripts on it in some experimentation I was doing. Aside from that they are virtually the same thing. It does not have "less" capabilities. Nice try though, lol.

router compare.jpg

2 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

Also, I wouldn't argue that a router doesn't help at all. Sure your ISP connection is the biggest factor, but my Asus far outperforms the Netduma R1 in so many ways its not even funny. Even with Qos set on codel, fqcodel, etc. It still buffers like a dream, the R1 tends to hiccup alot more. Again this goes back to having much more powerful hardware, the Asus has dual core processors and the R1 has one measly 600mhz processor? I mean it gets the job done for sure but it often seems to strain itself doing so. Anything in the xr300 and up are going to be plenty powerful for whatever the Netduma team has to offer. The R1 does tend to boot faster, but this is also because the firmware is a lot more simplified, DDWRT on the other hand isnt as much so, but again it has its focus while the R1 has its own too. I am personally more of a fan of Asus than Netgear tbh. Maybe someday that will become a reality.

1 hour ago, bbursley said:

Actually the only difference I could see in the two was wifi capability on the 2.4ghz side, big woop lol, 200mbits/s faster on the xr500 than the xr450, as if anyones gonna really notice that or even need to be on the 2.4ghz anyways. Also the xr450 has more flash than the xr500, I would much rather have more flash than less, as its essentially the storage of the device, I did this with my Asus to create a partition to store scripts on it in some experimentation I was doing. Aside from that they are virtually the same thing. It does not have "less" capabilities. Nice try though, lol.

router compare.jpg

by less capabilities i meant the wifi (which may not be a deal breaker for you, but for some it may be) and the flash memory are the same not different as Netgears own data sheets show!...............LOL!!!!!!

XR450.jpg

XR500 (2).jpg

Guest Killhippie

I wouldn't buy any router yet tbh, AX is just around the corner, with much better Wi-Fi when the clients are released and it comes out of draft later this year . AX Wi-Fi 6 routers will be so much better in congested areas on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, also with 64 bit SoC's, WPA3 and more ram they are the routers to be watching. I imagine NTGR will do a AX8 and AX12 version with DumaOS at some point.

I beta tested the AX12 and its a monster, Quad Core 2.4Ghz CPU, 64 bit Soc, 1GB ram, 12 stream Wi-Fi 6 so up to 1.2Gbps over 2.4Ghz 4x4 and 4.8Gbps over 5Ghz 8x8, it makes the XR700 look old, which it is since its a R9000 from 2016 with DumaOS added. Also gaming it didn't have DumaOS and the AX12 played great with my gaming needs and a switch. No matter how much I love DumaOS updates take way to long with Netgear, its approaching 3 months again on the XR500. I would rather have the AX12 with just NTGR firmware or a pure DumaOS device.

2.3.2.40 is buggy for one the table view in device manger on DumaOS has port mapping back to front to NTGRS on the same device, that makes no sense, in fact every release has been buggy in one way or another on all of the XR routers depending on your configuration and I imagine its hard for Netduma  to push NTGR to update in a reasonable time frame. DumaOS does not even support IPv6 with its proprietary QoS, FQ_CoDel and Cake do.

I see that omission as kind of inexcusable on a router released in 2018, no router should be released in 2018 or 2019 which relies on IPv4 solely for its main functionality , especially when the router it was built off of supported IPv6 with Qualcomm's Streamboost QoS. (XR500 is a R7800 with just 512mb of flash over the R7800's 256mb of flash). Also NTGR are just way to slow as has been mentioned many times with updates, then regressions and bugs and then 3 months before a fix and then more yet bugs. Its tiresome. At least with the R1 you have pure DumaOS and a router like the AX12 just NTGR code, so as I see it less to go wrong overall. Also more chances of third party builds for NTGR models like Voxels great R7800 build, which make the routers safer and faster.

7 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

by less capabilities i meant the wifi (which may not be a deal breaker for you, but for some it may be) and the flash memory are the same not different as Netgears own data sheets show!...............LOL!!!!!!

XR450.jpg

XR500 (2).jpg

Funny enough I pulled those both from the netgear website.  It’s no less capable in any instance except in 2.4ghz WiFi big WOOP lol. 

6 hours ago, Killhippie said:

I wouldn't buy any router yet tbh, AX is just around the corner, with much better Wi-Fi when the clients are released and it comes out of draft later this year . AX Wi-Fi 6 routers will be so much better in congested areas on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, also with 64 bit SoC's, WPA3 and more ram they are the routers to be watching. I imagine NTGR will do a AX8 and AX12 version with DumaOS at some point.

I beta tested the AX12 and its a monster, Quad Core 2.4Ghz CPU, 64 bit Soc, 1GB ram, 12 stream Wi-Fi 6 so up to 1.2Gbps over 2.4Ghz 4x4 and 4.8Gbps over 5Ghz 8x8, it makes the XR700 look old, which it is since its a R9000 from 2016 with DumaOS added. Also gaming it didn't have DumaOS and the AX12 played great with my gaming needs and a switch. No matter how much I love DumaOS updates take way to long with Netgear, its approaching 3 months again on the XR500. I would rather have the AX12 with just NTGR firmware or a pure DumaOS device.

2.3.2.40 is buggy for one the table view in device manger on DumaOS has port mapping back to front to NTGRS on the same device, that makes no sense, in fact every release has been buggy in one way or another on all of the XR routers depending on your configuration and I imagine its hard for Netduma  to push NTGR to update in a reasonable time frame. DumaOS does not even support IPv6 with its proprietary QoS, FQ_CoDel and Cake do. I see that omission as kind of inexcusable on a router released in 2018, no router that's a year old should be released so it relies on IPv4 solely for its main functionality, especially when the router it was built off of supported IPv6 with Qualcomm's streamboost QoS. (XR500 is a R7800 with just 512mb of flash over the R7800's 256mb of flash). Also NTGR are just way to slow as has been mentioned many times with updates, then regressions and bugs and then 3 months before a fix and then more yet bugs. Its tiresome. At least with the R1 you have pure DumaOS and a router like the AX12 just NTGR code, so as I see it less to go wrong overall. Also more chances of third party builds for NTGR models like Voxels, which make the routers safer and faster.

More reasons I don’t like Netgear. Honestly all they have ever done is throw their outdated crappy ass firmware on some juiced up hardware as a selling point, and then that’s it. At least the ASUS brand has a lot of support from what I experienced with it and especially with third party’s altering the code (Merlinwrt) and making it better all the time. But you are right, there are advantages on the hardware end of Netgear and the advantage of software updates for the R1. That’s kinda why I had suggested perhaps a turbo boost when the demand calls for it. It keeps the router cool still while also giving it that edge to be absolutely functional. Plus routers get overclocked all the time, there’s more risk for sure though. I kinda wonder why the Netduma team didn’t just slap DumaOS on another router that had more power, but still under their control? I mean I get it, Netgear offers exposure and growth and funds to invest back into the company’s future. 

Guest Killhippie

This looks like a R6400v2, in which case the antennas are part of the unit and cant be replaced, and its a broadcom BCM4708C0 Soc that's 3 years old, like the XR500 and XR700 Socs that are Qualcomm IPQ8065 and Annapurna Labs Alpine AL-514 respectively, and are both from 2016 too. I would not be surprised if the XR450 was dropped along the way at some point. Its to close to the XR500, the XR300 makes more sense, so the jump in Wi-Fi and CPU specs are spaced apart more widely so you have 1Ghz, 1.7Ghz and quad 1.7Ghz. Right now the XR450 is still using the XR500 CPU and I bet sales of it are not so great, its to close to the XR500 for NTGR profit margins.

NTGR  is recycling old hardware again by having DumaOS as the overlay. None of the routers released so far are actually new hardware at all.  No AX8 or AX12 machines with DumaOS although I'm sure they will come with a huge price tag, I mean the AX12 is £443 in its non gaming form. NTGR appear to be making money for rope. (common expression in England and means easily earned or easily obtained money with the suggestion of having sold something that is normally considered low value)  NTGR must be raking it in by selling 3 year old hardware and making it look like its new, when its really three years out of date.

With AX  out this year,  Wi-Fi 6 is the new standard over 802.11ac(Wi-Fi 5) and boosts 2.4Ghz up to 1.2Gbps and 5Ghz up to 4.8Gbps buy having 8-12 streams at once depending on what router you buy, its very important for improved Wi-Fi  connectivity going forward, and the new WPA3 standard for security as well.

• 2 weeks later...

While I think this it is a good idea to release something a little cheaper don't you think you should fix the problems with current Dumas before releasing something that will be half broken like the rest? I'm a big fan of Netduma but come on it doesn't work that good. I have an xr500 and it reboots sometimes like 3-4 times a day. I've tried all fixes that you guys recommended for others and it's a no go. Factory reset, all that stuff. I have gig internet and im starting to think a regular router might be better. I have to disable sometimes just to be able to play. Also the features only work in some modes of games and not others. Just my 2 cents.

I was one of those guys that had an R1 and got tired of all the promises of waiting for Dumaos to release so I sold it, well I ended up getting XR500 cause I'm a sucker haha.

How about more features like app store where others can develop addons? It would make the router more fun!!

• Administrators

The reboot issues you mentioned are a Netgear issue, they have enough resources to dedicate to multiple platforms at the same time, they're a big company! With DumaOS being an actual operating system fixes should apply across the board for devices so it's ever evolving and improving. I'd recommend for your reboot issue you contact Netgear as it could be a faulty unit. 

Those features will likely be coming in the future, there is a reason we called the features R-Apps! 

50 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The reboot issues you mentioned are a Netgear issue, they have enough resources to dedicate to multiple platforms at the same time, they're a big company! With DumaOS being an actual operating system fixes should apply across the board for devices so it's ever evolving and improving. I'd recommend for your reboot issue you contact Netgear as it could be a faulty unit. 

Those features will likely be coming in the future, there is a reason we called the features R-Apps! 

Ok thanks for your reply. I'll see what they can do.