Network Map and Network Monitor do not work properly

I need help figuring out an issue with the Network Map and Network Monitor. None of them work and are not a representation of my network. I have restored defaults many times. After defaults at first both seem to work and show devices offline and online. However, over time the Network Map just stops working and freezes. The Network Monitor shows activity but never changes. The attached screenshot shows many devices offline that are not offline and nothing moves as before between the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands. I can still block devices, etc.  Any assistance would be great.

Network Map.jpg

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If a device is connected but not doing anything traffic wise then it will flick over to offline until traffic happens again. If you do a speed test or something on one of the offline devices does it flick over to online? Are you using smart connect for WiFi or do you have devices connected to either 2.4/5GHz? Network monitor shows the top 5 devices in terms of bandwidth, does it not update depending on what devices are doing?

The PHIL-LAPTOP device shows offline yet I am using it and the speedtest from this laptop does not force anything to move. All wireless devices are connected to 2.4/5GHz. Even the wired devices show up but do the same thing. It's like the icons are just stuck in a static state and not working. Also the Network Monitor shows the same top 5 devices (they never change), same traffic, and never moves a device up or down. Also even if a device is not on the network it shows it having traffic! I have thought maybe it's something to do with another device on the network but I have removed things. Also I have used Nighthawk and Genie apps to block devices....could those be causing issues? This seems to have happened after the ping assist firmware update. 

I flashed the XR500 back to 2.3.2.32 firmware and the issue was resolved. Both the Network Map and Network Monitor work perfectly. I am not sure why the new 2.3.2.40 has this issue. I may try to reflash to the latest 2.3.2.40 again and test. Thanks again!

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, philaufan6 said:

I flashed the XR500 back to 2.3.2.32 firmware and the issue was resolved. Both the Network Map and Network Monitor work perfectly. I am not sure why the new 2.3.2.40 has this issue. I may try to reflash to the latest 2.3.2.40 again and test. Thanks again!

Hi Phil, welcome to the forum! This is a peculiar one, I've never seen that before. I'm guessing something went wrong when it was upgraded in the first place (whether you did the upgrade or the factory did). I haven't seen anyone on .40 with the same problem, so upgrading again is probably not going to risk this happening again. Thanks for letting us know your solution!

Thanks for the great support. It could have been just a bad flash to the latest firmware. I am testing it. Also can you tell me how long should LAN devices show connected once they are disconnected?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, philaufan6 said:

Thanks for the great support. It could have been just a bad flash to the latest firmware. I am testing it. Also can you tell me how long should LAN devices show connected once they are disconnected?

Okay let us know your findings. We did update it to be much quicker so it could be anywhere from a few seconds to 2 minutes. Depends if the device is still sending small amounts of information.

3 hours ago, xr500user said:

lol, reported this since day 1 of .40 firmware, also sent all my findings to NetDumaAdmin.  Hopefully not falling on deaf ears? :)

bug in duma os.

network monitor not effected

I let the developers know about this as well so they are aware.

I reflashed to the latest 2.3.2.40 firmware again. The Network Map works at first but it seems over time that devices still do not report properly. A lot of my devices show offline but they are online and functioning. Also LAN devices seem to not disappear once disconnected, etc. Yes this does seem like a bug as 2.3.2.32 works perfectly.

I also have this same problem with the latest firmware .40   Can this also be the reason why UPnP shows a port active long after a device is offline?  It never did this until this firmware .40  And where are we at with this issue? Have the developers figure what is the cause of the original issue of devices showing incorrectly? Thanks guys! :) 

Zippy.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:24 PM, xr500user said:

lol, reported this since day 1 of .40 firmware, also sent all my findings to NetDumaAdmin.  Hopefully not falling on deaf ears? :)

bug in duma os.

network monitor not effected

xr500user do you happen to use UPnP? And if so does it always show active for a device even when offline?  Thanks!

this is actually happening to me on the xr500. My firestick is currently streaming movies so its being used but still showing offline. PS4 show offline even though im on it. only things that show online are my wifes and my cell phone.

Everything else says offline. including the PC im using to type this.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, jdmefsir said:

this is actually happening to me on the xr500. My firestick is currently streaming movies so its being used but still showing offline. PS4 show offline even though im on it. only things that show online are my wifes and my cell phone.

Did you experience on the previous firmware or just .40 as well?

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks very much for the extra information, as you know the developers are aware of this so they're diagnosing it. Good spot Zippy, they very well could be related.

Thank you Fraser! :) I have a hunch they likely are related and just wanted to share that with you..

Zippy.

17 hours ago, jdmefsir said:

Yeah it's the same with me. It's only with the .40 code. I am sure many others have the issue but they are just not aware.

Having the exact same issue on an XR500 that I bought 3 days ago. I don't lose connection on any of the devices that are offline in the map but active on the internet, but I did notice network discovery actions, mainly chrome casting to devices, will not work while the map is in its "frozen" state. I have noticed that resetting the router will fix the issue, and chrome cast works again but only for about a day, also on the .40 firmware. 

On 2/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you experience on the previous firmware or just .40 as well?

only .40 ive noticed this. and its recent to. I would have noticed once i first updated but overtime it has happened.

4 hours ago, achronos said:

Having the exact same issue on an XR500 that I bought 3 days ago. I don't lose connection on any of the devices that are offline in the map but active on the internet, but I did notice network discovery actions, mainly chrome casting to devices, will not work while the map is in its "frozen" state. I have noticed that resetting the router will fix the issue, and chrome cast works again but only for about a day, also on the .40 firmware. 

Exactly what mine is doing. I hope they fix it soon. 

• Administrators

Not sure if this will do anything - but if you click Flush Cloud on the Ge-Filter map options does the problem then permanently clear?

Just as achronos stated the only way to get things working properly is a reboot.. And it is very temporary.. It can last as long as a few days to a few hours.. From my observation and digging into this more when things get mixed up there is a chain reaction that takes place that effects other things such as UPnP, and QoS. And very likely the Geo Filter. From my observation the QoS basically becomes unresponsive.. Meaning you can make adjustments but they don't seem to take effect.. During my observation I also noticed that when I went to adjust bandwidth allocation in the flower the device that was labeled xbox no longer was the actual device it adjusted.. Example is I went and added more bandwidth for my xbox and the more bandwidth I gave it the less and less it got.. Even though I was allocating more bandwidth by the device labeled xbox that was no longer my xbox even though it was labeled as such..  And I also believe this is why some are having trouble with the Geo Filter.. Because you have to add your device that you want to have the Geo Filter filter.  If that device even though labeled as the correct device actually isn't the device no longer then one would start to notice this because the Geo filter would start to not work.. Ive tested this several times with the Geo filter and noticed this.. Which is why I currently don't use the Geo filter..  The reason im bringing this to your attention is I don't think people may notice this because from a glance things look correct when in reality they may not be.. Bascially things are taking place behind the scenes that are messing things up that we cant detect because visually they are labeled correct and seem okay...

Zippy.

2 hours ago, Zippy said:

Just as achronos stated the only way to get things working properly is a reboot.. And it is very temporary.. It can last as long as a few days to a few hours.. From my observation and digging into this more when things get mixed up there is a chain reaction that takes place that effects other things such as UPnP, and QoS. And very likely the Geo Filter. From my observation the QoS basically becomes unresponsive.. Meaning you can make adjustments but they don't seem to take effect.. During my observation I also noticed that when I went to adjust bandwidth allocation in the flower the device that was labeled xbox no longer was the actual device it adjusted.. Example is I went and added more bandwidth for my xbox and the more bandwidth I gave it the less and less it got.. Even though I was allocating more bandwidth by the device labeled xbox that was no longer my xbox even though it was labeled as such..  And I also believe this is why some are having trouble with the Geo Filter.. Because you have to add your device that you want to have the Geo Filter filter.  If that device even though labeled as the correct device actually isn't the device no longer then one would start to notice this because the Geo filter would start to not work.. Ive tested this several times with the Geo filter and noticed this.. Which is why I currently don't use the Geo filter..  The reason im bringing this to your attention is I don't think people may notice this because from a glance things look correct when in reality they may not be.. Bascially things are taking place behind the scenes that are messing things up that we cant detect because visually they are labeled correct and seem okay...

Zippy.

Mine is not an issue with the geo-filter but with just the network map and devices. After a restart it seems to work with devices shown as they are. Over time though the Network Map freezes in place and even if a new device is added or taken away nothing changes.

44 minutes ago, philaufan6 said:

Mine is not an issue with the geo-filter but with just the network map and devices. After a restart it seems to work with devices shown as they are. Over time though the Network Map freezes in place and even if a new device is added or taken away nothing changes.

I have the same issues with what your saying as well.. The other issues ive stated above only seem to occur once I notice the network map and network monitor quit working.. And to be fair I may have two issues.. lol.. Once you notice your network map and network monitor quit working do you reboot right away? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Zippy said:

I have the same issues with what your saying as well.. The other issues ive stated above only seem to occur once I notice the network map and network monitor quit working.. And to be fair I may have two issues.. lol.. Once you notice your network map and network monitor quit working do you reboot right away? Thanks!

Actually I have tried rebooting the router many times and restoring defaults, etc. I gave up after a few times. We will just need to wait for the fix or go back to the previous firmware. I just need ping assist. :)

yea i did a facotry restore and it worked for about an hour or two and now its back to not working. Also the geo filterbasically doesnt work because the device shows offline even though its hardline and im on it right now also