Beaver error on Destiny 2

Dmaune

28 minutes ago, Azlios said:

I play with my filter set to roughly around 200 miles with a ping assist of 0 and I too find matches quickly when playing in Quickplay. It does make it take forever when matching in comp though. 

Shouldn't mattr though if the geofilter is actually doing it's job.  With my radius so small and ping set to 0 i should NEVER find a match much less one in under a minute.  Also, the matches i find are super laggy.  

• Administrators

No it wouldn't be able to bypass the filter in that case, you would either wait an incredibly long time for a game to be allowed within your settings range or it would kick you back in order to search for a game again.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No it wouldn't be able to bypass the filter in that case, you would either wait an incredibly long time for a game to be allowed within your settings range or it would kick you back in order to search for a game again.

Will it do that with regardless if strict mode is on or off?

This can't possibly be opperating as intended.  My ping assist is set on 10 and none of the player icons i click on show a ping even close to that.  This pic is just one of the player icons that remained as i was flying into the match.

20190313_211338.jpg

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Dmaune said:

Will it do that with regardless if strict mode is on or off?

Strict off it would allow dedicated servers outside the radius so you could get a game.

16 hours ago, Dmaune said:

1500km, 10 ping assist, strict mode on.  Found a match in 24 seconds.

20190313_205813.jpg

20190313_205820.jpg

20190313_205828.jpg

That all looks fine, everything within your radius.

Lowered it to 694 miles, ping still at 10 and strict mode still on.  This time it found a match in even less time.

20190313_210930.jpg

20190313_210938.jpg

20190313_210943.jpg

That still looks like it's working as expected.

This can't possibly be opperating as intended.  My ping assist is set on 10 and none of the player icons i click on show a ping even close to that.  This pic is just one of the player icons that remained as i was flying into the match.

20190313_211338.jpg

15 hours ago, Dmaune said:

It's doing absolutely nothing

Any ideas as to how to "fix" this?

Ping Assist only works outside the radius, so anything within the radius can be allowed and it would not be tethered to your Ping Assist limit. If you're connected to the dedicated server which I suspect you are it's close to you so should be a good connection there so you should have the advantage

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Strict off it would allow dedicated servers outside the radius so you could get a game.

That all looks fine, everything within your radius.

That still looks like it's working as expected.

Ping Assist only works outside the radius, so anything within the radius can be allowed and it would not be tethered to your Ping Assist limit. If you're connected to the dedicated server which I suspect you are it's close to you so should be a good connection there so you should have the advantage

Ok so if i understand this correctly, if i set my radius to say 69 miles (lowest it will go) and my ping assist to around 10, i should almost neverfind a match? 

I guess I'm just not sure how it operates.  It looks inside your radius first with no regard to ping assist, then if it can't find anyone it looks outside the radius and only allows those connections that meet the ping assist criteria?

• Administrators

In theory yes if there is nothing within that 69 mile radius and strict mode is enabled.

They work side by side at the same time, neither will supercede so if both are being used at the same time it would really depend on what players/servers are available at the time you start searching so you could have a mixture of icons within the radius and icons outside the radius that have been ping assisted.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In theory yes if there is nothing within that 69 mile radius and strict mode is enabled.

They work side by side at the same time, neither will supercede so if both are being used at the same time it would really depend on what players/servers are available at the time you start searching so you could have a mixture of icons within the radius and icons outside the radius that have been ping assisted.

How does it operate with strict mode off? 

Now I'm confused about what ping assist actually does.  If they're working in tandem how is it that I'm still finding matches when i set my radius and ping assist so low? Not only do i find matches but i find them fast

• Administrators

Strict off allows dedicated servers outside your radius, it was introduced for Destiny and that's how we recommend it to be set as they use a P2P/Dedicated Hybrid system.

The radius you had still has hosts and a server in it so it got the game fast, especially since you were probably connected to it previously with the expanded radius

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Strict off allows dedicated servers outside your radius, it was introduced for Destiny and that's how we recommend it to be set as they use a P2P/Dedicated Hybrid system.

The radius you had still has hosts and a server in it so it got the game fast, especially since you were probably connected to it previously with the expanded radius

I denied that sever near (bad connection to that one for some reason) me so will i most likely see the affects of that when i log in tonight?  

If i have that one denied and my radius is too small to include the others should i experience long wait times with strict mode off?

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, Dmaune said:

I denied that sever near (bad connection to that one for some reason) me so will i most likely see the affects of that when i log in tonight?  

If i have that one denied and my radius is too small to include the others should i experience long wait times with strict mode off?

In theory, but I think there's a few factors at work here that are complicating it. First off, the player base on D2 is massive at the minute due to Gambit Prime, some of the more veteran players have come back to bolster the online population. By all counts, I'm not surprised (even given your location) that you're able to find games quickly.

If you used those settings with strict ON, you'd get booted or wouldn't connect to anything. With strict OFF, it's not so certain - since dedicated servers are allowed in from outside your radius, you're likely connecting to a server bank on the East coast which I can see on some of your screenshots.

If you denied every server outside the radius other than that server bank, you'd probably only ever connect to that one server. It's unrealistic to do that though. Maybe try setting your radius on top of the East Coast servers with Strict Mode on?

3 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

In theory, but I think there's a few factors at work here that are complicating it. First off, the player base on D2 is massive at the minute due to Gambit Prime, some of the more veteran players have come back to bolster the online population. By all counts, I'm not surprised (even given your location) that you're able to find games quickly.

If you used those settings with strict ON, you'd get booted or wouldn't connect to anything. With strict OFF, it's not so certain - since dedicated servers are allowed in from outside your radius, you're likely connecting to a server bank on the East coast which I can see on some of your screenshots.

If you denied every server outside the radius other than that server bank, you'd probably only ever connect to that one server. It's unrealistic to do that though. Maybe try setting your radius on top of the East Coast servers with Strict Mode on?

Yeah I'll try that today.  Just doesn't feel like the software is restricting anything.  I'm really just looking for settings that will give me the best possible connection.  Wait time is a non issue for me.

On 2/26/2019 at 1:40 PM, Dmaune said:

Ok.  I'll do that tonight

Just as a quick thought. What is your NAT type on Destiny? I know back when I played destiny 1 having an open NAT was ESSENTIAL. I find that sometimes, and I have NO idea why. That when I boot some games with the Geo on, ill get a moderate NAT type. Maybe this might also be another part of the issue? Just a shot in the dark. Maybe try just placing your circle around the server you want to specifically connect to with strict on. That way all the others will be blocked out, however, if your friends are party leader and are connected to a different server that is filtered out you will not be able to connect to it. Geo filter is weird and tricky sometimes, but when it works its great, unless its black ops 4 ;))

On 3/16/2019 at 2:22 AM, bbursley said:

Just as a quick thought. What is your NAT type on Destiny? I know back when I played destiny 1 having an open NAT was ESSENTIAL. I find that sometimes, and I have NO idea why. That when I boot some games with the Geo on, ill get a moderate NAT type. Maybe this might also be another part of the issue? Just a shot in the dark. Maybe try just placing your circle around the server you want to specifically connect to with strict on. That way all the others will be blocked out, however, if your friends are party leader and are connected to a different server that is filtered out you will not be able to connect to it. Geo filter is weird and tricky sometimes, but when it works its great, unless its black ops 4 ;))

I'm nat 2.  

• Administrators
On 3/15/2019 at 5:49 PM, Dmaune said:

Does allow/deny do anything while not in strict mode? I've denied all but one server but the others still keep showing up on my map.  The one that I've allowed never shows up.

Strict Mode won't block servers, so it will be overriding that. You would need to re-enable strict mode to force that.

I know some Destiny players like using Ping Assist as a ping filter. See the bottom half of this guide to try it out. Don't set it as low as 10ms though, perhaps try 35ms or so:

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-ping-assist

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Strict Mode won't block servers, so it will be overriding that. You would need to re-enable strict mode to force that.

I know some Destiny players like using Ping Assist as a ping filter. See the bottom half of this guide to try it out. Don't set it as low as 10ms though, perhaps try 35ms or so:

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000087579--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-ping-assist

Ok so I think I may have found the sweet spot for my settings.  

I seem to get the best connection to the server in the west for some reason so I blocked the midwest server and the east coast server, set my ping to 10, radius of 600 miles and set my search location to an area near that server.  STRICT MODE OFF.

Played about 5 matches solo with these settings and didn't have any noticeable lag.   I was dumping on people it was great.

Now I'm in the midwest but a buddy of mine who lives in Moscow joined my fireteam for a little while.  I added him to my allow list and we played some games.  Lag was horrible.  Every match there was a huge delay.  My ping to him was hovering around 150ms so I have a question.  

How does the connection to my fireteam members effect lag in Destiny?  Should I expect my matches to be laggy with him in my fireteam?  

• Netduma Staff

I'm glad you've nailed your settings! I'm afraid that yeah, you can expect more lag playing with your buddy if he's all the way in Moscow. His high ping will affect how the server itself compensates for lag and averages out the game. I couldn't go into the sort of depth you'd like since I don't know a great deal about lag compensation, but I know that having a party member with such a high ping will probably cause issues.