Beaver error on Destiny 2

Dmaune

while flushing the cloud made it to where I'm not getting booted, I have my doubts about whether or not this router does anything at all except give me a pretty map to look at.  I can set my radius to 50 miles and it will still almost instantaneously find me a match with the worst connections known to man.  Does it actually filter anything at all?  

I mean unless of course there's hundreds of thousands of people playing in rural midwest at the same time

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, Dmaune said:

while flushing the cloud made it to where I'm not getting booted, I have my doubts about whether or not this router does anything at all except give me a pretty map to look at.  I can set my radius to 50 miles and it will still almost instantaneously find me a match with the worst connections known to man.  Does it actually filter anything at all?  

I mean unless of course there's hundreds of thousands of people playing in rural midwest at the same time

Hi Dmaune; super glad flushing the cloud solved the booting issue :)

50 miles is a teeny tiny radius, I'd be surprised if there's anything to connect to within that. The best way to use it in the US is to pick the coast with the best servers, or try to get lucky with the central American servers (if they exist - I play Destiny 2 but in the UK, I'm not actually sure if they have central servers).

Maybe you'd have a better time using Ping Assist? Set that to 50ms or so and see how it works for you. What ping were you getting on the 'worst connection known to man'?

On 2/28/2019 at 5:47 AM, Netduma Jack said:

Hi Dmaune; super glad flushing the cloud solved the booting issue :)

50 miles is a teeny tiny radius, I'd be surprised if there's anything to connect to within that. The best way to use it in the US is to pick the coast with the best servers, or try to get lucky with the central American servers (if they exist - I play Destiny 2 but in the UK, I'm not actually sure if they have central servers).

Maybe you'd have a better time using Ping Assist? Set that to 50ms or so and see how it works for you. What ping were you getting on the 'worst connection known to man'?

What I'm saying is it will find me matches almost instantly even when I have the radius set as low as 50 miles which leads me to believe it's not filtering anything at all.  I've tried my ping assist all over the place anywhere from 0-60 with the same results.  It should be almost impossible for me to find a match with my radius set that small especially considering I live in a fairly rural area in central US.  That's not the case though it finds me matches very quickly and they're some of the laggiest matches ever.  

• Netduma Staff
13 hours ago, Dmaune said:

What I'm saying is it will find me matches almost instantly even when I have the radius set as low as 50 miles which leads me to believe it's not filtering anything at all.  I've tried my ping assist all over the place anywhere from 0-60 with the same results.  It should be almost impossible for me to find a match with my radius set that small especially considering I live in a fairly rural area in central US.  That's not the case though it finds me matches very quickly and they're some of the laggiest matches ever.  

Could you keep distance set to 50ms, enable Strict Mode, set Ping Assist to 0ms, and then see if you connect to a game of Quickplay (if you're still in D2)? If you connect and see stuff on the Geo-Filter map, could you screenshot what you see for me? A couple of screenshots (one showing all your settings, one showing the hosts on the map) would be ideal in this case. If this turns out to be a Geo-Filter bug then we can work on diagnosing it, and I'll escalate it straight to the development team :)

8 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Could you keep distance set to 50ms, enable Strict Mode, set Ping Assist to 0ms, and then see if you connect to a game of Quickplay (if you're still in D2)? If you connect and see stuff on the Geo-Filter map, could you screenshot what you see for me? A couple of screenshots (one showing all your settings, one showing the hosts on the map) would be ideal in this case. If this turns out to be a Geo-Filter bug then we can work on diagnosing it, and I'll escalate it straight to the development team :)

Absolutely I'll do that tonight

On 3/6/2019 at 5:04 AM, Netduma Jack said:

Let us know how it goes!

Ok so these first two pics are in strict mode at 69 miles 0 ping.  It found a match within about 30 seconds but then booted me with beaver error.

20190305_211734.jpg

20190305_211807.jpg

Then i turned strict node off and started expanding both ping and radius.  Still found matches and never more than a minute wait.  Problem is it would find matches almost instantly when it did and they were laggy as hell.  Like i would be sitting there on 1/12 then it would instantly jump to 12/12.  Doesn't seem to matter what my radius or ping is set on i get the same results.  Always finds matches within a minute and it jumps from 1/12 to 12/12. Btw the pictures were always taken the second i found a match.

20190305_213143.jpg

20190305_213153.jpg

20190305_215121.jpg

20190305_215132.jpg

20190308_234646.jpg

20190308_234656.jpg

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Strict mode on it's expected behaviour to get booted. Have you added a lot of servers to your allow list by any chance? 

I know I totally expected that.  That's why I only tried it in strict mode once.  Only the first two pictures were with strict mode enabled.  All the other pictures are with strict mode off.  Yes, every server I've ever seen I allowed.

• Administrators

That's the problem then, every server you've seen you've added to your allow list which means your filter likely isn't filtering because it's just putting you in one of those allowed servers, that's why matchmaking is so quick now. If you're allowing them regardless of their connection quality then you may be unfortunate enough to get those frequently. I'd suggest you remove all those servers you have allowed and try again but with a bigger radius as 250 miles is very restrictive, would suggest at least 650 miles.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:30 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

That's the problem then, every server you've seen you've added to your allow list which means your filter likely isn't filtering because it's just putting you in one of those allowed servers, that's why matchmaking is so quick now. If you're allowing them regardless of their connection quality then you may be unfortunate enough to get those frequently. I'd suggest you remove all those servers you have allowed and try again but with a bigger radius as 250 miles is very restrictive, would suggest at least 650 miles.

Oh ok.  I didn't realize allowing the server had that effect.  Should I allow any servers?

Oh and i only set the radius so small for testing purposes.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would recommend you only allow servers that you've had a really good connection on because by allowing it your allowing that server to bypass your Geo-Filter settings.

Son of a bitch lol.  I've rendered the netduma useless with my own doing.  

Thanks for your help.  I'll delete them tonight and see how it goes.

So if i take the servers off the allow list and set my radius very small, very long wait times should be expected correct?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Easy mistake to make! You're welcome. Yes it would make for longer waiting times. We usually recommend 650miles/1000km for a good mix of quick search times and good quality games.

I'll probably experiment with the radius a bit as i don't mind a long wait if the connection is good.

So i deleted my entire allow/deny list, left my radius at 250 miles, ping at 20 and it still found me a match in like 30 seconds.  That shouldn't be possible.

Edit: had it in spectating mode.  Stand by.

I dropped it all the way down to 150 miles.  Still found a match in no time at all.

I rebooted twice and waited thinking maybe it just takes a while for the effects to happen.  Nope still finding matches faster than ever which leads me back to my original question, is the filter actually filtering anything?

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, Dmaune said:

I dropped it all the way down to 150 miles.  Still found a match in no time at all.

I rebooted twice and waited thinking maybe it just takes a while for the effects to happen.  Nope still finding matches faster than ever which leads me back to my original question, is the filter actually filtering anything?

Hm, maybe with Strict Mode off it's just able to connect you to any of the dedicated servers. This seems like a weird case... Try increasing your radius to about 1500km and turn Strict Mode on. That way you may have enough servers to choose from not to get booted, but it'll still filter distant ones.

Ok I'll try tonight.

Btw i lowered my radius all the way down to 100 miles and lowered the ping to 0.  Still found matches.  I shouldn't find anything with those settings given my rural location.

1 hour ago, Dmaune said:

Ok I'll try tonight.

Btw i lowered my radius all the way down to 100 miles and lowered the ping to 0.  Still found matches.  I shouldn't find anything with those settings given my rural location.

I play with my filter set to roughly around 200 miles with a ping assist of 0 and I too find matches quickly when playing in Quickplay. It does make it take forever when matching in comp though.