Traffic Prioritization

in this screen shot I don't like how only a couple packets are in High Priority and the rest in the Background. I want everything coming out of my ps4 to be top priority. please tell me the settings to make what I want go to the High priority category. the high priority traffic detected red light keeps fleeting on and off.

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 11.54.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 5.01.52 AM.png

• Netduma Staff

Hi - as far as gaming goes, this is standard behaviour. Traffic Prioritisation is only designed to prioritise low-latency traffic (games) - that's the core objective of the feature. It'll be doing that by default.

Prioritising bigger things like downloads could grind your entire network to a halt; it'd be putting something massive at the front of the queue. You may be able to do it - you can click 'add device' on Traffic Prioritisation and in theory just add all the PS4 ports there are. That would have the effect you want, but it would be massively inefficient and bad for gaming.

as jack said above is right. You could do add device, ps4 and then in advanced add ports 1-65535 tcp/udp to source and destination but it would be inefficient. 

or, you could create a rule for only the desired ports for ps4 such as 3074 1935 ect ect but would still be a waste.

On 2/1/2019 at 6:01 AM, Netduma Jack said:

Hi - as far as gaming goes, this is standard behaviour. Traffic Prioritisation is only designed to prioritise low-latency traffic (games) - that's the core objective of the feature. It'll be doing that by default.

Prioritising bigger things like downloads could grind your entire network to a halt; it'd be putting something massive at the front of the queue. You may be able to do it - you can click 'add device' on Traffic Prioritisation and in theory just add all the PS4 ports there are. That would have the effect you want, but it would be massively inefficient and bad for gaming.

even when I put all the ports it doesn't move much.

what settings would you suggest?

• Administrators

Were you using the PS4 at the time?

Is QoS still enabled (check this in Anti-Bufferbloat's Options)?

If you could take a screenshot of your Traffic Prioritization panel that would be very helpful (the one where you add devices etc)

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Were you using the PS4 at the time?

Is QoS still enabled (check this in Anti-Bufferbloat's Options)?

If you could take a screenshot of your Traffic Prioritization panel that would be very helpful (the one where you add devices etc)

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 8.55.23 AM.png

• Administrators

Could you delete the manual rules and re-enable DumaOS classified games.

1. Is QoS still enabled (check this in Anti-Bufferbloat's Options)?
  2. Does it behave like this when you are playing a game?
  3. Have you change the PlayStation to a different device type? Please make sure it's still listed as a Playstation in Device Manager

37 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Could you delete the manual rules and re-enable DumaOS classified games.

2. Does it behave like this when you are playing a game?
  3. Have you change the PlayStation to a different device type? Please make sure it's still listed as a Playstation in Device Manager

still nothing.

this is during an online game.

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 11.37.51 AM.png

soccerjean17 what port is your ps4 using.? You can try this for the heck of it.. source port (whatever your ps4 is UDP) and 3544 destination UDP. It is odd though that DumaOS Classified Games isn't prioritizing this for you.. I would check like they said and make sure your ps4 is still tracking correctly in your Device Manager and is corresponding correctly as the correct device which is your ps4.. Another thing to check is when your online playing see if it is also showing in your Network Monitor..  Good luck!

Zippy.

• Administrators
  2. Have you change the PlayStation to a different device type? Please make sure it's still listed as a Playstation in Device Manager

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, SturmButcher said:

I use a the preset rule of console games and all my traffic is prioritized on PC

Prioritising all traffic on a PC isn't recommended - Traffic Prio is built for low latency traffic like games, so if you've got big downloads prioritised it can cause issues!

21 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Prioritising all traffic on a PC isn't recommended - Traffic Prio is built for low latency traffic like games, so if you've got big downloads prioritised it can cause issues!

Oh thanks for the head up. I haven't had any issue but if you recommend not to do it I will disable it

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, SturmButcher said:

Oh thanks for the head up. I haven't had any issue but if you recommend not to do it I will disable it

You'd only really see issues if you downloaded something big, and that download took priority. Your whole network would grind to a halt! No worries :D

On 2/5/2019 at 5:27 AM, Netduma Admin said:
  2. Have you change the PlayStation to a different device type? Please make sure it's still listed as a Playstation in Device Manager

yes I have.

On 2/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes you have changed the device type to something other than PlayStation? 

Does the device appear online in the Device Manager when you're on the console? How is the console connected to the router?

yes, yes

it's connected through wire.

• Administrators

Please change the Playstation back to the Playstation device type.

Could you also take a screenshot of your Device Manager page after you have done this.

Thanks.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:47 AM, Netduma Admin said:

Please change the Playstation back to the Playstation device type.

Could you also take a screenshot of your Device Manager page after you have done this.

Thanks.

is it possible that the VPN might be causing that? when I turn off the VPN it works fine.

• Netduma Staff
55 minutes ago, soccerjean17 said:

is it possible that the VPN might be causing that? when I turn off the VPN it works fine.

That'll be it. That'll be the cause.

I wish I'd thought of that earlier, lol. All data flow will be routed through the VPN server, which is probably why they aren't showing up in Traffic Info. Good catch!