New XR700 Firmware Version v1.0.1.8

Question, can I use the 10G SPF+ port as my regular ethernet port to hard wire my XBOX one or PS4 or PC? Or is it a specific thing about it that doesn't recommend one to use it?

Yes, you can use the 10G LAN SPF+ port as regular Ethernet port, but first you have to buy a 10GBase-T Module or 1000Base-T Module. I recommend to only use the SPF+ for devices that supports 10G speeds like a NAS or a 10G switch. You could buy a 10G network card for a PC but for a gaming console you're better off just plugging it into a LAN port. I was using the SPF+  port for my SX10 switch for a 10G LAN setup before I changed it to be the WAN.

10 hours ago, Micbot said:

Yes, you can use the 10G LAN SPF+ port as regular Ethernet port, but first you have to buy a 10GBase-T Module or 1000Base-T Module. I recommend to only use the SPF+ for devices that supports 10G speeds like a NAS or a 10G switch. You could buy a 10G network card for a PC but for a gaming console you're better off just plugging it into a LAN port. I was using the SPF+  port for my SX10 switch for a 10G LAN setup before I changed it to be the WAN.

So would something like this work to turn sfp port to a wan connection?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075WNMFPN/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?pd_rd_i=B075WNV21H&pd_rd_w=VXKJD&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=ZD8qe&pf_rd_r=JHG37SFFH0BD28JTGBM3&pd_rd_r=35d84fb3-15a0-11e9-9b78-f979129cfbae&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-Ubiquiti-UF-RJ45-1G-Transceiver-1000Base-T/dp/B01LW2P72V/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QR83DBCA585ZPR5Z8AYF

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Micbot said:

I think I've found a temporary fix to the WAN disconnection by using the 10G LAN SFP+ port for the Internet connection. It's been stable for 2 hours and everything looks good so far. No interruptions while playing games or browsing the web. I looked everywhere online to see if someone has tried this but I didn't find anything.This could be a solution until NETGEAR comes out with an update to fix it. I will keep everyone updated if it stays stable or not.

fix.PNG

fix 2.0.PNG

Has it continued to be stable @Micbot ?

The current firmware has been bad for my household with disconnects every 5 mins,  previous firmware was about one in 20 mins which didn't bother me much which now i have reverted back to. I'm going to try Micbot's hopeful remedy a try over the weekend and see how it goes.

Sounds promising until a fix can be found.

• Administrators

Great keep us updated matt! Theres another suggested solution here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR700-Periodic-WAN-disconnects-still-on-latest-v1-0-1-8/m-p/1689265/highlight/true#M7139 if that doesn't work out for you.

Not having any joy with ipv6 set to disabled or 6-4 tunnel losing disconnects every 5 mins, couldn't find an spf+ to try don't want to buy one as i'm not sure it will even work on my talktalk fiber set up?

In Fraser's link some say it's stable going back to .20

Ps.. by using SPF+ do you need 2 one for modem and then one for port in router?

1 hour ago, sncjez said:

Not having any joy with ipv6 set to disabled or 6-4 tunnel losing disconnects every 5 mins, couldn't find an spf+ to try don't want to buy one as i'm not sure it will even work on my talktalk fiber set up?

In Fraser's link some say it's stable going back to .20

Ps.. by using SPF+ do you need 2 one for modem and then one for port in router?

Disabling IPV6 didn't help me either. I've always had that disabled.

Going back to .20 was the only solution for me, because I never tried to use the SFP+ port.  

On 1/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd go back to .20 in that case sncjez and hopefully they'll be a resolution soon

Same here. Had to downgrade to .20.  No WAN drops since.

The 10Gtek 1000Base-T SFP works like a charm for $20 on the XR700. For the first time in a long time, no packet loss or WAN drops tonight, very happy, cheap and easy fix. 👍

Forgive the size of the pic, I have an ultrawide monitor.

Does the old WAN port act as a LAN port if SFP is used? At least thats what it looks like.

wef.png

• Administrators
2 hours ago, six4bravo said:

The 10Gtek 1000Base-T SFP works like a charm for $20 on the XR700. For the first time in a long time, no packet loss or WAN drops tonight, very happy, cheap and easy fix. 👍

Does the old WAN port act as a LAN port if SFP is used? At least thats what it looks like.

wef.png

Thanks for the update. How have you set this up exactly? Is it plugged into the WAN port on your XR700?

20 hours ago, six4bravo said:

wef.png

Yes, when SFP+ port works as Internet port (WAN port), the original Internet port will work as "LAN" port.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:00 AM, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks for the update. How have you set this up exactly? Is it plugged into the WAN port on your XR700?

Just plugged the SFP right into the SFP slot next to the WAN port while powered off. DumaOS recognizes it and uses it as WAN port automatically. No setup needed and for $20, still stable.

The LAG I created between the XR700 and my S8008 nighthawk switch, however seems to be going down every few hours for 3 seconds then back up again, log says LAG inactive then LAG active 3 seconds later. So I disabled the LAG and am just using using a single connection between it and the switch to see how it acts. But the WAN issue looks to be resolved with the 10Gtek SFP adapter.

10 minutes ago, six4bravo said:

Just plugged the SFP right into the SFP slot next to the WAN port while powered off. DumaOS recognizes it and uses it as WAN port automatically. No setup needed and for $20, still stable.

The LAG I created between the XR700 and my S8008 nighthawk switch, however seems to be going down every few hours for 3 seconds then back up again, log says LAG inactive then LAG active 3 seconds later. So I disabled the LAG and am just using using a single connection between it and the switch to see how it acts. But the WAN issue looks to be resolved with the 10Gtek SFP adapter.

You just inserted the adapter and in the XR700 what setting did you change?