50% download speeds with XR500 (AT&T's fault)

TheDude2850

I have att fiber with no issues. Do you have good put selected? Even if you have QOS disabled if the good put is checked it will reflect those numbers and I noticed if I did the initial speed test the router does when it sets up, the highest it sets it to automatically is 500

31 minutes ago, JimPaps said:

I have att fiber with no issues. Do you have good put selected? Even if you have QOS disabled if the good put is checked it will reflect those numbers and I noticed if I did the initial speed test the router does when it sets up, the highest it sets it to automatically is 500

Good put selected where?  In the gateway's UI or the XR500's?

11 minutes ago, TheDude2850 said:

Good put selected where?  In the gateway's UI or the XR500's?

in the XR500 where you can disable the QOS. If you let the XR500 do the speedtest to set up the router it will only put it at 500 for some reason. You have to manually change the number to 950 or whatever your speed is or just disable the "good put" box. 

2 minutes ago, JimPaps said:

in the XR500 where you can disable the QOS. If you let the XR500 do the speedtest to set up the router it will only put it at 500 for some reason. You have to manually change the number to 950 or whatever your speed is or just disable the "good put" box. 

Oh I see.  Yes, I have that set correctly.  It's not an issue with the XR500 since I get the same speedtest results when I hook up my PC directly to the gateway and bypass the XR500.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31832196-BGH-210-IP-Passthru-Help

The login to the bgw210 is normally 192.168.1.254 but you change the 1.254 to 2.254 so there are no conflicts. The router will hand out DHCP ip's to all devices. After you change bgw210 to 192.168.2.254 and hit save you will need to type it in the address bar to get back in. 

IMG_20181021_213044.jpg

IMG_20181021_213203.jpg

Screenshot_20181021-212625.png

Screenshot_20181021-210930.png

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators
49 minutes ago, taruks said:

Any update on this, TheDude2850? I have the same exact issue.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Have you double checked your settings as shown here for your speeds?: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-maxmimum-bandwidth-speeds have you narrowed it down to definitely an ATT issue?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 5/24/2019 at 7:53 PM, TheDude2850 said:

No, I've just been living with it.  AT&T never got back to me.

You should definitely contact them again and let them know the issue exists still, its worth being persistent to see if it can be fixed

• 8 months later...
On 5/24/2019 at 11:53 AM, TheDude2850 said:

No, I've just been living with it.  AT&T never got back to me.

Literally having the same issue. My download speeds are super low with the xr500 and the ping goes up to 30 when it should be at 2. 

Contacted Atnt and they said I their Modem/Router would always have issues if connected to another router and they would not recommend using third party routers. Anyone ever figure out a solution? I know this post is almost a year old...Any advice I would appreciate it, if not ill just return the router :(

18 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Ensure you have set up the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Thru for the XR router.

Disable QoS on the XR router? 

FInd an ISP that supports modem only units. 

Tried that too, and no luck.. I was wondering if there were any additional settings I needed to adjust on the xr500

What speeds do you pay for UP and DOWN?

ISP modem/routers are problematic at best with external routers. If Qos is disabled on the XR router, and your not getting to spec speeds, I would presume the modem will be the main cause. the XR500 supports near 900Mbps. My XR450 does and they are the same HW sans 2.4Ghz radio HW. 

Be sure your using good quality LAN cable between the modem and XR router. CAT 6 is best. 

Wire speed test with a PC. 

You can try setting QoS enable and set the Down and Up speeds to max value and see if this changes anything. 

13 hours ago, Steve said:

Tried that too, and no luck.. I was wondering if there were any additional settings I needed to adjust on the xr500

1 hour ago, e38BimmerFN said:

What speeds do you pay for UP and DOWN?

ISP modem/routers are problematic at best with external routers. If Qos is disabled on the XR router, and your not getting to spec speeds, I would presume the modem will be the main cause. the XR500 supports near 900Mbps. My XR450 does and they are the same HW sans 2.4Ghz radio HW. 

Be sure your using good quality LAN cable between the modem and XR router. CAT 6 is best. 

Wire speed test with a PC. 

You can try setting QoS enable and set the Down and Up speeds to max value and see if this changes anything. 

I pay for 999 up and down. For some reason I get way less download then I do upload. 

I have a high quality lan cable and do have my computer hard wired to the xr500. I was wondering if the OP ever solved it. If he did, I wonder what he swithed on the ISP Modem to allow the xr500 to work at its full potential. 

15 hours ago, Steve said:

Literally having the same issue. My download speeds are super low with the xr500 and the ping goes up to 30 when it should be at 2. 

Contacted Atnt and they said I their Modem/Router would always have issues if connected to another router and they would not recommend using third party routers. Anyone ever figure out a solution? I know this post is almost a year old...Any advice I would appreciate it, if not ill just return the router :(

There is no rhyme or reason to it.  I was just living with it, but then I did a random speed test at some point and noticed I was getting full speeds with the XR500, even though I hadn't changed any settings.  The problem wasn't just limited to the XR500.  I was having the same issue when I just plugged my laptop directly to the AT&T gateway.

Over the holidays, I decided to get an Orbi system and it was getting 50% download speeds.  I ended up getting rid of it for other reasons and picked up an Eero system.  The Eero system gets 100% download speeds.  So it really makes no sense.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Steve said:

I pay for 999 up and down. For some reason I get way less download then I do upload. 

I have a high quality lan cable and do have my computer hard wired to the xr500. I was wondering if the OP ever solved it. If he did, I wonder what he swithed on the ISP Modem to allow the xr500 to work at its full potential. 

Firstly I'd suggest you double check you've done everything from this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-maximum-bandwidth-speeds

If you're still experiencing slower speeds change the router MAC address to the MAC address of your previous router, it may still be in the syncing phase which can lower your speeds.

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2020 at 12:10 PM, TheDude2850 said:

There is no rhyme or reason to it.  I was just living with it, but then I did a random speed test at some point and noticed I was getting full speeds with the XR500, even though I hadn't changed any settings.  The problem wasn't just limited to the XR500.  I was having the same issue when I just plugged my laptop directly to the AT&T gateway.

Over the holidays, I decided to get an Orbi system and it was getting 50% download speeds.  I ended up getting rid of it for other reasons and picked up an Eero system.  The Eero system gets 100% download speeds.  So it really makes no sense.

Are you using bgw or the 5268? BGW has had a known issue reported with double NAT and reduced speeds even using IP Passthrough, 5268 had a similar issue but was liimited down to 50 Mbps for DMZ.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32323881-BGW210-Firmware-1-9-14-15-16-2-3-4-2-4-4-2-5-6-2-6-4-2-7-1~start=330

A lot of people have seen success using a dumb switch bypass (switch costs around $17) it's not approved, however it's a way to bypass ATT gateway altogether .

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32094182-

On 3/31/2020 at 4:48 PM, Spdsk8race said:

Are you using bgw or the 5268? BGW has had a known issue reported with double NAT and reduced speeds even using IP Passthrough, 5268 had a similar issue but was liimited down to 50 Mbps for DMZ.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32323881-BGW210-Firmware-1-9-14-15-16-2-3-4-2-4-4-2-5-6-2-6-4-2-7-1~start=330

A lot of people have seen success using a dumb switch bypass (switch costs around $17) it's not approved, however it's a way to bypass ATT gateway altogether .

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32094182-

I had the BGW initially.  AT&T swapped it out for the Pace 5268 to see if that would help, but it didn't.  I considered the dumb switch route, but I'm getting full speeds right now with my Eero, so no need.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 2:48 PM, TheDude2850 said:

I had the BGW initially.  AT&T swapped it out for the Pace 5268 to see if that would help, but it didn't.  I considered the dumb switch route, but I'm getting full speeds right now with my Eero, so no need.

if your using the 5268, I do have a couple of recommendations, if interested.

to start:

do not change the ip address of the gateway from 192.168.1.254 The 5268 doesn't play nice if you do. if you did change this, would honestly recommend to factory reset the gateway.

Make sure to disable both wifi's on the 5268

Disable the ipv6 on the 5268

make sure to uncheck the firewall items on the 5268 also, and allow your duma router to manage that. I had my setting like this when i was connected to the 5268image.thumb.png.2012ab0d40b411f054610049af90cb34.png