Can't get netduma to work!

mlg135i

Hello, pursched a netduma a few weeks ago and can't seem to get it to work with my other router/modem. ISP is bt and the other router is a bt smart hub. Tried pppoe and dmz but can't get the netduma to connect to a laptop or PS4. The smart hub can not be put into bridged mode or modem only mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just to clarify.....

Can you access the interface of the Netduma? 

If so, did you take the WAN IP of the Netduma  (found at the top of the Device Manager page)  and put it in the DMZ of the BT modem/router?

connect the duma to lan 1 of smarthub and the other end into the wan port of the netduma. Factory reset the netduma and enable cookies, disable ipv6 in wan,lan and misc. make sure all wifi functions are disabled on the smarthub. Connect a pc wired to lan 1 of the netduma and go to a browser (chrome) and enter 192.168.88.1 and go to device manager. there will be a blue box with a link to also connect to your bt hub wan page. go to it and find the ip of the netduma and add it to the dmz in the bt hub.   Go back to 192.168.88.1 and there should be internet! Then set up the netduma!

• Netduma Staff

Hello, pursched a netduma a few weeks ago and can't seem to get it to work with my other router/modem. ISP is bt and the other router is a bt smart hub. Tried pppoe and dmz but can't get the netduma to connect to a laptop or PS4. The smart hub can not be put into bridged mode or modem only mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey, welcome to the forum! I'd suggest trying the advice given above. Please let us know how you get on :)

I'm on BT Infinity with the Smart Hub too. The only thing I can think of is you may have a cable in the wrong port. I got online from day one by doing exactly this:

1. Plug in and turn on the Netduma.

2. Connect LAN cable from port 1 on the Hub to port 1 on the Netduma.

3. Access Smart Hub GUI (192.168.1.254 typed into a browser) from a computer. You can do this from a phone over Wi-Fi if you'd like for convenience, but in that case I'd suggest ignoring step 6 below until the rest of the steps have been completed and you've ensured you can access the Netduma's Wi-Fi. Your GUI password is on the back of the Smart Hub itself.

4. Go to Advanced Settings, then Firewall, then Configuration. While you're here, turn off UPnP and UPnP Security. Save settings.

5. Hit the DMZ on button, click show device, then click the drop down menu to find the R1. This is easier than finding the right IP. Select it then save changes at the top of the page.

6. Head back out to the main menu to access basic settings, find the Wi-Fi section and turn it off, then save settings. Close the Smart Hub GUI page.

7. Access the Netduma GUI by typing 192.168.88.1 into a browser address bar as you did with 192.168.1.254 to access the Smart Hub GUI before.

7. Customise your settings as required. First I'd suggest changing your Wi-Fi password from "netdumar1" to something stronger. Then go to Congestion Control, make sure you set your sliders to 100%, click Set Bandwidth, type in what you pay for from your ISP and then run a speed test to see what you really get. Adjust the figures in the Set Bandwidth boxes accordingly.

8. Now you can tweak other settings like the Geofilter, profiles, WAN/LAN, UPnP/port forwarding and miscellaneous to your liking. Turning off IPv6 under both WAN and LAN tabs is usually recommended here. Auto MTU seems to do the job but you can manually change it to BT's 1492 if you'd like. Enabling cookies in the miscellaneous section is a good idea as it means you'll retain your Geofilter preferences whenever you navigate away from and back to the Geofilter page in future. This doesn't affect radius and ping assist, but does affect settings like strict mode, kilometres/miles preference, map legend and whether or not dormant hosts are displayed on your map. It's a pain loading the page up the next day just to have to disable kilometres, the legend and dormant hosts lol.

I haven't really added anything that Big_Dog didn't cover, but I thought I'd just share my experience as I've had no issues getting set up with Infinity and the Smart Hub :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Is there a way to use netduma for PS4 only and have all other devices in the home connectted wirelessly to the bt smart hub?

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Is there a way to use netduma for PS4 only and have all other devices in the home connectted wirelessly to the bt smart hub?

You can indeed do this, but it's definitely not recommended; allowing other devices to use the line while the PS4 is behind the Netduma's Congestion Control means the PS4 doesn't get the benefit because the other devices will be allowed to use all of the bandwidth up. This will cause lag when playing games.

Of course you can do what you want with your router, but you'll be missing out on one of its main benefits if you don't stick all of your devices behind the Netduma ;)

• 11 months later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, S_Tron81 said:

Hi this is a great thread,

I got to step 5 but the duma does not show up in the list 😕any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks 

Could you create a new topic with your exact issue and we will help you there. Thanks.