Netduma, last hope for fifa

tiibor

Hi all

I've gone thru a lot of pain with Fifa for a long time,.. my story short:

- it all started 2-3 Years ago when I was pushed down from League two with 12 points to League 6 and never came up to more then league 5 that season.

- now with FIFA17 in FUT (the only mode I play online) I can play without input lag / network lag up to League 7 or 6 (tested with multiple accounts) and since then I can climb to league 4, but with input lag and delay all the time

- started on Xbox One and got it replaced twice to ensure it's not my Xbox

- now on PS4 as I thought maybe it's a problem with Xbox Live (you can imagine, was better in down leagues, but not from league 6 onwards)

- Ordered an additional fibre internet as I did not know if the one I am using (fibre 100/100) could be the problem (it wasnt)

- spent much time in forums, optimizations and with the Microsoft and EA support

- my ISP monitored my line, they told me I connect to strange servers / clients what they would not expect

So I really hope that the Netduma will finally help me here. I am not 100% convinced, as the problems from this thread here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/19992-ps4-fifa-17-sluggish-gameplayinput-delay/?hl=fifa

the problem sound so familiar...

My Netduma should arrive tomorrow or on Thursday... So really looking forward to test is. If I can anything before (run pingplotter or what ever) please let me know.

Looking forward for some more testing and really hope I will find a solution for my problem.

Kind regards

Welcome to the forum and if any problems arise make a thread in general support and we'll get you straightened out

Hi all

I've gone thru a lot of pain with Fifa for a long time,.. my story short:

- it all started 2-3 Years ago when I was pushed down from League two with 12 points to League 6 and never came up to more then league 5 that season.

- now with FIFA17 in FUT (the only mode I play online) I can play without input lag / network lag up to League 7 or 6 (tested with multiple accounts) and since then I can climb to league 4, but with input lag and delay all the time

- started on Xbox One and got it replaced twice to ensure it's not my Xbox

- now on PS4 as I thought maybe it's a problem with Xbox Live (you can imagine, was better in down leagues, but not from league 6 onwards)

- Ordered an additional fibre internet as I did not know if the one I am using (fibre 100/100) could be the problem (it wasnt)

- spent much time in forums, optimizations and with the Microsoft and EA support

- my ISP monitored my line, they told me I connect to strange servers / clients what they would not expect

So I really hope that the Netduma will finally help me here. I am not 100% convinced, as the problems from this thread here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/19992-ps4-fifa-17-sluggish-gameplayinput-delay/?hl=fifa

the problem sound so familiar...

My Netduma should arrive tomorrow or on Thursday... So really looking forward to test is. If I can anything before (run pingplotter or what ever) please let me know.

Looking forward for some more testing and really hope I will find a solution for my problem.

Kind regards

Duma isn't going to help you with the input lag for fifa. That input lag is built into the game itself and has nothing to do with your internet connection.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I can't specify if it will help with input lag or not but it will help you get the lowest ping possible. Though with FUT there are not many servers. 

A PingPlotter direct from your existing modem/router would definitely be a good start. Also I would just double check everything from our blog here to see if anything can be improved: https://netduma.com/blog/fifa-17-lag-fix-guide/https://netduma.com/blog/fifa-17-lag-fix-guide/

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I can't specify if it will help with input lag or not but it will help you get the lowest ping possible. Though with FUT there are not many servers. 

A PingPlotter direct from your existing modem/router would definitely be a good start. Also I would just double check everything from our blog here to see if anything can be improved: https://netduma.com/blog/fifa-17-lag-fix-guide/https://netduma.com/blog/fifa-17-lag-fix-guide/

Ok. I will also try to forwards ports instead of using UPnP

@all, wow thank you for your input and answers! :-)

I should be able to pick up my R1 tomorrow :-)

@fuzzy clam

"if any problems arise make a thread in general support and we'll get you straightened out"

=> will do, thank you

@Shane

"Duma isn't going to help you with the input lag for fifa. That input lag is built into the game itself and has nothing to do with your internet connection."

=> OK, maybe it's not input lag, it's more sluggish gameplay from time to time, and different from the "lag" when playing offline. So I am quite sure it has something to do with the network (some things seem just to get worth when having delays). So let me see.

@Netduma Fraser

Have seen this Blogpost (and many threads in the forum) already, and will defenetily stick to that. :-)

I've downloaded pingplotter and it seems that I get many "packet loss" when setting the interval to 0.5 seconds. Not sure if this is normal. I will restart the modem from the ISP for a next test. And I will as well test with my other ISP (also Fibre, but a bit slower)

Shall I post my first results from pingplotter here? Or just wait and see what Netduma can do for me? Do not want to occupy you guys for nothing :-)

Pingplotter from my "special ISP just for Fifa" does seem to be not ideal. Not sure if my PC is suffering or if it is due to the fact, that here I've connected my PC directly to the "FTTH to LAN" converter, not sure if this is a proper modem. I think normally I should have an router attached in between the "modem" and the FTTH kit.

pingplotter with iWay (ISP2):

1496853947-U16852.png

and this is the pingplotter with Swisscom (ISP1):

1496854660-U16852.png

Edited by tiibor

I've now also made two pingplotter runs to the ea server (easo.ea.com)

=> does not really look awesome... normally I would not expect to see packet loss with an fibre connection.

=> I am using a ISP provided "flat LAN" cable (cat 6) for the testing, to connect my computer directly with the modem. But I do not think that the cable is the issue here? Or shall I once run it on my laptop with an shorter cat6e cable?

What surprises me is, that I've very good results with other "local" tests, but maybe it's because they run only for a very short time. On former "pingtest.net" I've got an A rating. With the now available desktop version I get also decent results (Ping 1ms, Jitter 0.18ms and packet loss 0%) with an local server.

ISP2 (iWAY):

1496856679-U16852.png

ISP1 (Swisscom):

1496856718-U16852.png

There is packet loss emanating from the first hop which is your modem, it is either a faulty cable from the wall or a faulty modem.

Hi Zennon, thank you for your answer. Could it as well be my computer? I am not sure if maybe my image backup wanted to run in parallel.

=> I think I will try again with all processes shut down that I can.

edit: 20:16 => I've just started my other partition / OS. So far after 130+ counts zero packet loss localy. So I think it was my computer that couldn't handle the traffic / load. (or really crazy coincidend and it is a problem only from time to time). Will run the tests now again for twitter.com and easo.ea.com

edit: 20:57 => so for the ISP1 (Swisscom) it was really the PC, I've not had any packet loss when testing from my other OS.

But on the other ISP2 (iWay) I still face heavy packet loss. I assume this could be due to being "directly" in the internet, so I will test this one again tomorrow when I am behind the R1.

=> I would recommend to leave my "wrong" screen above anyhow as it shows (from my understanding, please correct me if wrong):

1. that some packet loss can be caused by an overloaded pc or faulty network cable

2. that being with a pc directly on a FTTH (fibre to the home) to lan converter (it's a modem, but just one port activated, so I think this device is just overloaded itself with handling the traffic) can also cause problems.

I will post the new results in a new comment. Please just let me know if I should copy everything into a new support thread (I thought I will wait until I've actually got / connected the R1 to open a new support thread).

Anyhow, I am quite confident that I will find a good solution with the R1 :-)

Edited by tiibor

Ok, now the pingplotter (to 1. twitter.com and then 2. easo.ea.com) with both ISP.

=> as mentioned above, I expect the problem with the ISP2 (iWay) to being that I am using the FTTH 2 LAN converter without any router. I will give this a try tomorrow with the R1 between. Anyhow, optimal would be if I can have a decent Fifa with my ISP1 (Swisscom), as this would mean that I can unsubscribe the second ISP (that I just had for Fifa... crazy... yes...)

ISP1 (Swisscom) to Twitter:

1496861930-U16852.png

ISP2 (iWay) to Twitter:

1496861954-U16852.png

ISP1 (Swisscom) to easo.ea.com:

1496861968-U16852.png

ISP2 (iWay) to easo.ea.com:
1496861978-U16852.png

• Netduma Staff

Yeh it definitely looks like you need to ditch or replace that second ISP; there's no way you'll be able to game on that. It's worth replacing the Ethernet to / from ISP 2 and checking that out, but otherwise the solution would be to remove ISP 2 from the equation.

Thank you Zennon and Netduma Jack

I've used the same ethernet cable for both IPS / Modems, so I will see where this will get me.

I will run a first test today (I've got my R1 now :-)) with the "brillant" ISP. I've also IPTV from this provider, so far I couldn't manage that IPTV is working when the box is plugged into the R1. But I've found in another thread that this shouldn't be the biggest issue.

Depening on the testing I will decide if I have to give the other ISP a test or if it OK with the first ISP. Really curios what the R1 can do for me. As I've as well tested to use only my PS4 on the modem, so without any other devices connected, but I think I will like the host filtering a lot.

I've seen that my location was set wrong automatically, but I was able to correct it.

=> what could be the issue here?

• Netduma Staff

Thank you Zennon and Netduma Jack

I've used the same ethernet cable for both IPS / Modems, so I will see where this will get me.

I will run a first test today (I've got my R1 now :-)) with the "brillant" ISP. I've also IPTV from this provider, so far I couldn't manage that IPTV is working when the box is plugged into the R1. But I've found in another thread that this shouldn't be the biggest issue.

Depening on the testing I will decide if I have to give the other ISP a test or if it OK with the first ISP. Really curios what the R1 can do for me. As I've as well tested to use only my PS4 on the modem, so without any other devices connected, but I think I will like the host filtering a lot.

I've seen that my location was set wrong automatically, but I was able to correct it.

=> what could be the issue here?

Yeah that's definitely worth testing out. You shouldn't really need the other ISP anyway - if your objective is great gameplay, having the second ISP isn't going to get you that. Your location was set wrong? You can manually set your home location using the "Home" icon if this is the case. Let us know how your tests go.

Hi again

I've tested today and was surprised to see that I've mostly fantastic pings (peer ping) from 18 - 30ms, once it was up to 60ms for one opponent, but there was not real difference.

But my problem was that I still felt some lag or slagish gameplay, so I thougt, OMG, ok, it's just the bloody game then.

I've then decided to give the Tracert Feature a try, and if this is somehow acurate (I mean the hop over the Ocean) this would explain lags while having great pings. BUT, why should there be one hop in the US? Any ideas?

=> I will definitely test it with the other ISP to ensure that it's nothing hardcoded with them.

=> based on the outcome I will try to clarify with EA or Sony support, could also be a problem with the Playstation servers?

ISP1 (Swisscom)

1496952816-U16852.png

ISP1 (Swisscom)
1496952830-U16852.png

ISP1 (Swisscom)
1496952840-U16852.png

For this one I've enlarged the radius to have the UK within reach and restarted the PS4 completely, no difference.

ISP1 (Swisscom)

1496952850-U16852.png

Yeah that's definitely worth testing out. You shouldn't really need the other ISP anyway - if your objective is great gameplay, having the second ISP isn't going to get you that. Your location was set wrong? If it's your Geo-filter you're talking about, the Netduma doesn't detect where you live - you need to set that manually anyway. Let us know how your tests go.

Have done some tests now, please see the results below, due to the time I need to run a new pingplotter with the R1 and ISP2 (iWay) tomorrow.

The internet test from R1 is promising:

1496957796-U16852.png

Related to the location, hope this gets changed then in the new OS to be released :-)

1496957784-U16852.png

Ok, here now the results from the tests with the other ISP (ISP2 (iWay).

In general it seems that it's now a server in the UK. I've three samples, where sample three is very interesting:

- in sample three the ping to the oponent was around 20ms, so great. But FUT gave me 1-2 bars out of 5, so I normally would never play against such a player. In the end there was really a lot of network lag, but I was easily able to win this game. <= I've taken an video from the first half that you can "link" the low ping against the opponent, see the result from tracert and make your own thoughts about that either I or the opponent must have had a bad connection to the server / host in the UK.

ISP2 (iWay):

1496957806-U16852.png

ISP2 (iWay):

1496957817-U16852.png

ISP2 (iWay):

1496957831-U16852.png

and link to the video from the last screenshot: low ping, but same strange tracert and only 2-3 bars from EA FUT:

Hello again, I ran pingplotter this morning with ISP2 (iWay) behind the R1, so seems it was really the FTTH device that could not handle the traffic.

Please let me know if I shall try to shrink the screenshots or if I shall move some of the posts in this thread to the "support" area.

Anyhow, thank you already now.

1496993716-U16852.png

1496993761-U16852.png

Now ISP 2 looks good without the ISP router in-line.

You really do not need two ISP's when you own a Netduma as congestion control and hyper traffic fix the downsides of gaming on a utilised network.

Now ISP 2 looks good without the ISP router in-line.

You really do not need two ISP's when you own a Netduma as congestion control and hyper traffic fix the downsides of gaming on a utilised network.

So you think the problem with the "one hop" in the tracert I have seen in the US with ISP1 (Swisscom) was maybe just some bad luck? I will give this a try.

Could this mean that:

- FUT Seasons: in general it's P2P but some (whatever) stuff is also during the game synced via an EA-Server

=> I need to set the location in a way, that I have an EA server within my radius, because if I haven't if will take "any" outside the radius, so maybe even one to far away?

So with ISP1 (Swisscom) I have as well IPTV that I've to connect directly to the modem. In addition it seems that the "DMZ" mode on this modem is not really DMZ. So not sure what to do here, I think working with an - even not real - DMZ for the R1 is the best way?

This is my home setup, all purely related to ISP1, as ISP2 was only for FIFA, so yes, I am happy if I can get rid of that :-)

Edit: I needed to correct my setup, my ATV is already today connected via WLAN not LAN (as the R1 only has 4 network ports to be used by devices)

1497018249-U16852.png

The ISP provided Modem/Router has as well WLAN, but I wanted to have just one centrally placed WLAN, so all devices are using the WLAN Router (ASUS RT-AC66U). So normally only the main WLAN will be used thru the WLAN Router.

Edited by tiibor

• Netduma Staff

This is my home setup, all purely related to ISP1, as ISP2 was only for FIFA, so yes, I am happy if I can get rid of that :-)

The ISP provided Modem/Router has as well WLAN, but I wanted to have just one centrally placed WLAN, so all devices are using the WLAN Router (ASUS RT-AC66U). So normally only the main WLAN will be used thru the WLAN Router.

As Zennon said, this is looking great. We always advise connecting all devices to the Netduma, so make sure you switch that IPTV over. It's often the simplest setup that gives the best results; let us know how your gaming goes with this setup.