Netduma, last hope for fifa

tiibor

As Zennon said, this is looking great. We always advise connecting all devices to the Netduma, so make sure you switch that IPTV over. It's often the simplest setup that gives the best results; let us know how your gaming goes with this setup.

Hello there, my IPTV will not work behind the Netduma, maybe I need to "play" with the settings. Is there a WIKI / Blog entry for IPTV users?

As far as I know the router needs to support multicast.

This is the setup I would like to build / have, but not sure if my ISP / IPTV will allow this. But I will read in, maybe there is a way:

1497018320-U16852.png

Edited by tiibor

I think Fifa is just kidding with me... :-)

I've run some tests and games over lunch time, in short what Iv'e seen:

1. With my main account (where I bought many packs and being in league 3) I was not able to find an opponent within my radius. Some guys from Saudi Arabia popped up (I think it where three different location". Finally I was able to find an opponent within my radius, I ran the ping and as well tracert, and the result was strange: => it seemed that the packages got routed thru Saudi Arabia? Not really sure what this should or could mean. By a closer look it looked like the opponent is sitting in Netherlands, where the EA servers are...

=> not sure if this could show that I need to open the ports for my PS4 to ensure to get "all potential" opponents".

Here Tracert has shown now "strange" hop clearly outside expected range:

1497015853-U16852.png

2. As I was not able to find an opponent I switched to my second account where I have never bought any packs and just promoted to league 4.

Strange thing, I was able to find opponents very fast and gameplay was OK (I've lost two games, but it was really due to my crappy team and good skills from the opponent).

1497015873-U16852.png

1497016030-U16852.png

This one here again was a bit strange, but I think this could also be due to the tracert is not fully accurate.

1497016052-U16852.png

3. I've then switched back to my main account and was able to find an opponent, gameplay was not really good so I tried a tracert again, and look there, It's again going thru an Hop in Netherlands, Amsterdam I guess. So this is either due to my account or due to the league I am playing in on this account. But this is a really, really strange behavior.

1497016068-U16852.png

• Netduma Staff

The trace route feature is not very accurate; we don't usually recommend using, especially not when trying to diagnose an issue. Fifa also depends on which game mode you are playing; for instance, we recommend having the Geo-filter off when playing FUT champs since there are only around 3 dedicated servers anyway.

As for IPTV, if it isn't working try turning off Turbo Mode and switching algorithm (in Congestion Control). If this gives you results you don't like (such as lower speeds etc) or if IPTV still doesn't work, then you may have to run it through your other router instead.

The trace route feature is not very accurate; we don't usually recommend using, especially not when trying to diagnose an issue. Fifa also depends on which game mode you are playing; for instance, we recommend having the Geo-filter off when playing FUT champs since there are only around 3 dedicated servers anyway.

As for IPTV, if it isn't working try turning off Turbo Mode and switching algorithm (in Congestion Control). If this gives you results you don't like (such as lower speeds etc) or if IPTV still doesn't work, then you may have to run it through your other router instead.

Hi Netduma Jack

Well I know that there are differences in the different FUT gamemodes, but still I am suffering from huge lags in all of them. And I think when comparing my internet and results from Netduma I shouldn't. This is why I want to understand how I suffer from heavy lags / delays when I've got 4-5 green bars from EA and also Netduma Peer Ping says I've a 20-30ms ping to my opponent. There must be clearly an issue somewhere.

=> So far I can say the R1 does not resolve my issue with Fifa yet, but I hope I will at least find some settings to avoid the heavy lagging as I've just had before. (I will comment this on a separate answer).

About my setup: I was able to get it run over the R1, but seems the traffic is to heavy, some HD channels and especially the UHD channels did not run properly. So I leave this one just at my modem. But I've tested Fifa as well with having all / everything disconnected from my modem beside my PS4 and there was no difference, so I do not think my issue with FIFA is somewhere within my network or what I can influence.

The only think I am not happy so far is the fact, that even when using the R1 and forcing opponents to be very close it's not helping with the lags as it seems that even in the P2P modes (FUT Season, but as well normal Season) there is a EA Server "involved. At least this was something I didn't know before.

Ok

this oen is an hard one again, as you can not really see button delay, or this general sluggish game play in fifa. Just belief me, input lag was horrible.

As my setup is decent (wired usb controller, ps4 directly attached at 20ms in game mode samsumg tv) this input delay is nothing else as some strange network lag.

Please see the "perfect" results from ping with this opponnent, includeing some tracnert (that looks "good" in this example) and the video.

In the video you can see in:

min 0:05 => 4 out of 5 green bars <= somehow I do almost never get 5 bars anylonger, but to be honest, there is also no difference

min 0:55 => first delays you can not just "feel" but actually see in the video going up to min 1:20

min 7:55 => again lag you can see up to about 8:05

The R1 Screen:

1497193579-U16852.png

and the video:

From what I see I do not really have an ping issue, but some other issue. The R1 is helping me anyhow in identifying at least opponnets which should be ok.

Even if it shouldn't be the case, I feel that the connection with ISP1 (Swisscom, my main provider) seems more likely to be laggy. As I would like to get rid of the second ISP (iWay) I of course would like to find the best results possible for me with the ISP1.

I see three potential issues with ISP1:

1. Higher Speed (100/100 instead of 10/10) so maybe there is some strange disadvantage for me from FIFA (unlikely)

2. UDP packet throttling, as far as I know my ISP1 is throttling UDP traffic due to his IPTV, I could run some iPerf testing if anyone knows the packages and sizes sent by Fifa

3. Bandwidth consumed by IPTV, as far as I know IPTV traffic runs "on top". Anyhow, the IPTV box is never running during gaming session so also unlikely.

Are there any ways I can perform more testing with the R1? I know that the R1 does what he should, and I like what he is doing, but I would of course rather prefer to a) work with only one ISP and B) having decent (as possible) FIFA gameplay.

So from the video I've posted, do you think UDP throetteling could cause those issues? From what I could find from an old support thread it seems that packages of 1400+ Bytes get throttled. But I doubt that the packages sent / used from FIFA will have this size.

But I've also read that my ISP1 is using PPPoE from some reason even with Fibre. And this could cause problems with MTU.

=> is there a feature to test UDP MTU size with the R1? Or do you have any idea of a MTU size I could / should test manually?

Edit: 15:48 => when I start "playing" with MTU, where shall I do this? Directly on the PS4? On the Netduma? On the modem from my ISP? Or same setting on all of them?

Edited by tiibor

Hi there, just to understand, shall I open a real "Support" Thread? Or won't there be any support in this matter?

At least testing around UDP etc. would be interesting. Or to see / understand what exactly is going on network likewise during a FIFA P2P game. I am sure we do have some users here in the forum which can work with an network scanner like wireshark or similar. Or explain to me how to set it up.

Thank you :-)

Edit 12:50:

I am as well active on other forums and I've got an interesting theory there about why I getting lags / stuttering in certain events.

=> It could be caused by larger or more packages (I assume UDP) during those events.

Events with larger / more packages:

- entering the box (either way)

- skill move

- opponent player is near to year player and influencing (holding back, pushing, just comes near).

I find this theory especially interesting as I've watched the peer ping to grow to 300-400ms from before 20-40ms during this events.

So this could really mean there are larger / more packages sent during this events. Or the packages are "synchronized" with the EA Server

Examples:

- influencing player,

minute 10:13 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=PVl8ilFh62I

minute 5:35 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=W0hjATbAUV8

Edited by tiibor

• Netduma Staff

Hi there, just to understand, shall I open a real "Support" Thread? Or won't there be any support in this matter?

At least testing around UDP etc. would be interesting. Or to see / understand what exactly is going on network likewise during a FIFA P2P game. I am sure we do have some users here in the forum which can work with an network scanner like wireshark or similar. Or explain to me how to set it up.

Thank you :-)

Hey Tiibor; we appreciate all the information you've been sharing. It might be better to start a thread in 'Technobabble', where forum users like to theorise and get to the bottom of the causes of lag in games on a technical level. From what I can see of your connection, it looks to me like the Netduma is doing its job as best it can - the gameplay you shared with us look pretty smooth, especially compared to a high ping game. You appear to be getting a consistently low ping, so from a technical support perspective the Netduma is functioning properly and your settings are good. This would be worth discussing with other forum users though :)

Hi Netduma Jack, ok good point and I agree: Netduma is doing a great job:

- helping me avoid high lag games (Geo Filter)

- congestion control

- come closer to the real root cause of my problem

=> I will open a new Thread in the "Technobabble". Would be great if we can find some evidence to my assumptions / theory with UDP packets etc. :-)

All in all: THANK YOU NETDUMA Team, it's just a pleasure to see what you did here and where you plan to go! Wish you all the best, and be sure that I will recommend the Netduma to anyone with lag problems.

So big thumbs up for the R1 and the Netduma team! :-)  :)  :)  :)

• Netduma Staff

Hi Netduma Jack, ok good point and I agree: Netduma is doing a great job:

- helping me avoid high lag games (Geo Filter)

- congestion control

- come closer to the real root cause of my problem

=> I will open a new Thread in the "Technobabble". Would be great if we can find some evidence to my assumptions / theory with UDP packets etc. :-)

All in all: THANK YOU NETDUMA Team, it's just a pleasure to see what you did here and where you plan to go! Wish you all the best, and be sure that I will recommend the Netduma to anyone with lag problems.

So big thumbs up for the R1 and the Netduma team! :-)  :)  :)  :)

Thanks Tiibor; I'm glad you're enjoying your R1! Feel free to open a support thread if you encounter any problems. I'll now lock this one, and I'll look out for your new thread :)