Dedi's, good and bad.

bagsta69

Hi yall, It's early and I am up way before I should be, (the downside of coming off vacation).

I was wondering why there are so many inconsistencies between dedicated servers on AW.

Also is it something in the games code that means on occasion I get a better experience on a server in the USA when I am in the UK than I do playing on a server based in Europe.

The last few day's the game has been putting me onto the server in the Netherlands which is THE most damn awful gaming experience I have ever had. (ping of 15-20 ms)

Lower ping below 30ms and I have to wait an age to find a lobby.

The UK dedi on South coast plays OK most of the time but not great.

If I switch the geo filter off and accept invite from a friend East Coast USA we usually get put into a dedi near or in New York and the game plays great with around 80 - 100 ms ping.

I know this is asking for the location of the Holy Grail but I am interested to hear peoples theories on the subject.

Cheers.

Yeah I agree with Zennon. You may be connecting with 20ms pings to the server but other players will have high pings to it and then AW's magic lag comp kicks in and ruins the game.

I can't really think of any other reason.

Hmmm, interesting. The thing is you would think that it would be playable on some occasions but that particular server in the Netherlands has never given even a half decent game. Im talking 3-21 etc on Domination. I literally feel I am half a second behind the action and this is all game.

I will usually stay in a game as I find the lag swings on occasions but that one server for me plays awful.

It must play well for some people as the scores show after the game but it don't like me. Maybe it knows I stopped smoking funny stuff years ago and is punishing me.!!!!!

Hmm.... Smoking funny stuff.......EH.  Back on the topic I completely agree with you since I got my router last December it woes amazing. Just constant goodly connections. Then i had a month and half maybe a bit less when i could barley stayed positive on my K/D just littery always behind even with SMG with quckdrwa grip there woes nothing i could do to winn a gun fight. Around that time i got Bal-27 inferno i i hated it as it woes so slow on ADS. Now since may prety much everything went back to goodly again and now The Inferno its a melting machine. Just past this long weekend here in UK i uped up my overall K/D from 1.43 to 1.48. I have no clue what happened i haven't change any settings on my R1 apart form unticking multicast snooping. 

here is a picture form yesterdays session

post-331-0-76476700-1430998904_thumb.jpg

When i first go my duma (end of December) the game ran great.It ran so good that the guys i run with bought duma's after only 2 night's being partied up with me.It was the best gaming i've ever had not because i felt i had an advantage but because i felt it was a level playing field.I felt like when i died it was because i got outplayed not because i was behind other players.

Now it's a completely different story the game is all over the place as others have stated,AW has become a fickle bitch.No matter what i do with my settings,it's at best inconsistent.And just like the rest of you guys i didn't mess with my settings until the game play started to change.

IMO they changed settings in the game,maybe messed with lag comp ? I would like to hear from Adam as i trust that dude's opinion when it comes to lag,lag comp and what it does and doesn't do.

But i'm with the rest of you,i have no idea what happend but the changes were not on my end.I ended up going back to my original settings and when i play it just use guns i don't usually run with and try to enjoy myself,or play older titles

For me the magic number seems to be between 55-80 ms ping. When playing in those lobbies my hit detection is fantastic and I don't feel like I'm being cheated... Now on those hosts between 15-30 ms it seems I'm shooting marshmallows. This is usually only a problem with dedicated servers. Although I rarely play on p2p, when I do and the ping is low and the host has sufficient bandwidth the game plays wonderfully.

Just out of interest a couple of nights ago I joined my East coast USA friends, (2 of them both near New York) I switched off geo filter and joined their lobby. Played on a dedi in or near NYC with 80-100 ms ping and it played very average.

after a couple of games the host location switched to UK south coast server and I kicked ass. (despite party host been in USA)

So this is a really basic interweb 101 question which I do not know the answer too so feel free to take the proverbial.

If I am connected to my friends party in USA but the host of the game is in the UK where I am based. Do my packets of information go straight to the UK host or do they go via the party I am in, in this case UK to USA back to UK?

Sorry for the dumb question.

I find it is down to people in your party.

When I play solo my games are on the whole good using the 316k from Cumbrian borders down to south UK and 0 ping assist.

When I play with a friend who is using Virgin cable with bad jitter. As tested by myself using team viewer to access his pc, my games are crappy, it is affecting the whole party.

The lobby's must be making an average ping of the team and because his ping is all over the place its giving me negative lag comp adding whatever ms ping his line is showing at the time.

I am going to fall out with him so I am no longer affected lol ;)

Archived