Thinking Of A Scuf??

MrTrakky

So I've the Netduma, the 5.1 surround sound headset, the low input lag TV and a singular Kontrol freek  but now I'm eyeing up a custom Scuf controller and just wanted to know if anyone has had any dealings with them and what are your opinions???

All depends on how big your hands are and how aggressive you push buttons.In all honesty I went thru a scuf about every 3 weeks or a month,IMO battle beaver would be a better choice,better built and some cool features you can get on them.

Might be worth checking out,I know JD loves his.

All depends on how big your hands are and how aggressive you push buttons.In all honesty I went thru a scuf about every 3 weeks or a month,IMO battle beaver would be a better choice,better built and some cool features you can get on them.

Might be worth checking out,I know JD loves his.

is it good for large alien facehugger hands?

Scuf on PS4 is kind of useless. The advantage on my 360 model was the trigger stops and PS3 style sticks but as they dont have trigger stops on PS4 all you need is Kontrol Freeks to get better aim, I find they help.

Don't think I'd agree there useless especially on the likes of black ops 3 the use of the rear triggers will give a distinct advantage over those who have to remove their thumbs off the sticks to press buttons to jump the revert back to the sticks I find my aiming is knocked off instanly doing this

Don't bother getting a Scuf on PS4 mate.

I've had got one and it took 4-6 months for it to break.

The right paddle suddenly stopped working, it continuously disconnects from my PS4, the thumbstick edges have broken away and the paint is chipping away from it everywhere.

Their customer service is equally shocking. They never respond to emails and they seldom get back to you on Twitter etc. I opened the controller up to see if I can fix the problem myself as Scuf never got back to me... The insides look like its been soldered by a monkey - I managed to fix the duff paddle (it is still a little intermittent from time to time - usually at a point when I really need to use it).

Awful company.

I'm getting a Battlebeaver instead when I get some extra funds.

Don't think I'd agree there useless especially on the likes of black ops 3 the use of the rear triggers will give a distinct advantage over those who have to remove their thumbs off the sticks to press buttons to jump the revert back to the sticks I find my aiming is knocked off instanly doing this

One of the issues is price. It's around £100 just so you may get a few extra BO3 kills. To me it's almost like the people that buy a £200 BenQ monitor just for Call of Duty. I used to have a low ms monitor but I recently switched to an IPS screen with more ms and honestly it makes no difference to me.  I know we all spent money on the Duma but that's an all round useful bit of kit that has more uses than just gaming. 

I must be in the minority here but I love my scuff. Stuck a KF extender on the right thumb stick and its great.

As people have mentioned I guess it depends on how brutal you are with your controller. Ive had mine around 7 months without a single problem. No paint chips no disconnects no unresponsive controls.

I got it about half way through Advanced Warfare and it took me all of about three games to start seeing the benefits of it.

I love mine is all I can say.

here is my review of it. http://bagsta69.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/scuf-4ps-review-and-first-impressions.html

Plus if you switch your ADS and fire buttons to L1 and R1 as I have you don't need trigger stops. :) If you need any more drop me a message and ill try and answer any questions you have.

I must be in the minority here but I love my scuff. Stuck a KF extender on the right thumb stick and its great.

As people have mentioned I guess it depends on how brutal you are with your controller. Ive had mine around 7 months without a single problem. No paint chips no disconnects no unresponsive controls.

I got it about half way through Advanced Warfare and it took me all of about three games to start seeing the benefits of it.

here is my review of it. http://bagsta69.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/scuf-4ps-review-and-first-impressions.html

Plus if you switch your ADS and fire buttons to L1 and R1 as I have you don't need trigger stops. :) If you need any more drop me a message and ill try and answer any questions you have.

I just don't like how the scuf sits in me hands. Just prefer the cinch for that reason, the paddles are awkward for me.  

There are lots of options and lots of suggestions from forum members.It boils down to what feels the most comfortable to you personally but as I said earlier I would check out BattleBeaver.

But if your heart is set on a SCUF then go for it,the only way to know is to try it out.I like SCUF's and this is going to sound stupid but I have large hands,hands that would make NFL scouts drool if I were a receiver coming out of college.For the pro combine they have you open your hand and measure from the tip of your thumb to the tip of your pinkie for hand size and mine is 11 1/2 inches,that's why I say the SCUF is nice but if you have big hands and are a hard button pusher you'll break it.

I like the XBOX controller feel and size but not the system,just a personal preference I've always been a PS guy.There is a tread on here about JD's trying a HORI from japan and having it modified by BattleBeaver and I think he was happy with the way it came out.But again it's all a personal preference thing

i've a scuff 4PS   and i'm very satisfied.

it's very confortable, strong and the rear PRO trigger are easy to get.

i've had 2 shitty burn (from burn controller) too  and it has nothing to do with scuff . 

I own a Cinch & a Scuf & I prefered to use the Scuf. The buttons on a Cinch aren't in the correct position for me, I can't hold it naturally for it to be effective. The Scuf felt better, I removed the RH paddle as I don' t use it to knife & just use the LH paddle to jump. Only issue is that they aren't very reliable & don't last long, I've had two in a year.

I'd recommend you change your button configuration on your standard PS4 controllrt before splashing out the cash. I use tactical button layout on BO3, but in accessibility options on PS4 settings menu I swapped R1 with X. Takes a bit of time to get used to but allows you to jump without taking your thumb off the stick.

I have probably the largest collection of worn out, broken or "not for me" controllers.

I started back in BO2 with a Scuf.  Got all the goodies, including that awful bedliner spray job on the back that was supposed to help you grip the controller.  Total sales pitch and I fell for it because my hands sweat.  I'm also a sweaty tryhard, but before gaming one of the places I sweat was my hands.   :ph34r:

Scuf's overall quality and customer service has really dropped off in my opinion.  That first Scuf that I had lasted forever.  Subsequent models have had less lasting time.

The final straw for me was shortly before the BO3 Beta.  I ordered a new Scuf for the XB1, and I ordered a replacement Scuf for PS3 (as I didn't know how long they would continue making them).  The order was made, the order was paid and when I finally got the package, it was one Scuf short!  Yeah, they billed me for two and sent the XB1 model, no PS3 model to be found.  So I get in touch with them and a couple of weeks go by, I don't get a refund, but I get another shipment.  With two controllers.  One that I had ordered (PS3) and an XB1 model I hadn't ordered at all.  The XB1 model was some other order that got thrown into my box, apparently, because I had ordered both.  *shaking head*

I moved over to Battle Beaver off a recommendation from a couple of early adopters on here.  I bought an XB1 model first and I love it.  I got increased stick tension on the right thumb stick (I've dislocated this thumb about 100 times playing ball when I was younger, so I have a dead spot in my shot off the right side of center).  I also got the SmartTriggers - which is an electronic version of the trigger stops that Scuf uses.

Holy shit!  These things are amazing.  I love the really crisp short throw of them.  Way better than Scuf.  I happen to LOVE the M8 battle rifle, and with this type of trigger I can hold headglitches overlooking "B" DOM on maps like Stronghold as if I actually have skill at the game.  LOL  These triggers just RIP.

When that monster Fuzzy Clam bullied me into getting a PS4 I got another Battle Beaver.  I did get the Smart Triggers and they are EVEN more crisp on the PS4.  Problem is, kind of like Fuzzy, I come from a construction background and I tend to grip shit a little tight.  Because of that I have personally worn out two sets of the triggers on the PS4 variant.  The XB1 I got is still the same as it was out of the box, but the PS4 is just a bit more fragile for my stupid Neanderthal-like application.

Recently (Net-1) I was shown a new controller called a Hori FPS, out of Japan.  The controller is hard wired stock and is the size of an XB1 controller.  The triggers on the face of it are nice and big, and they don't seem to operate as much on the rocker fashion as the stock PS4 controllers.  They are short throw and easy to find with clumsy fingers.

I sent the Hori into Chris from Battle Beaver and he hooked me up with a set of buttons on the back for melee and double jump, just like a Scuf or BBC, but on the stock Hori.  I am in love with this controller right now and it is all I use.  

Here is the thread I have ongoing.

For my money I would look at BBC.  Chris is a really good dude and so far every dealing with him has been straight up, fair and I haven't had any unnecessary bullshit.  

Good luck and post back with what you end up doing.  Interesting to see what others are using.

Don't bother getting a Scuf on PS4 mate.

I've had got one and it took 4-6 months for it to break.

The right paddle suddenly stopped working, it continuously disconnects from my PS4, the thumbstick edges have broken away and the paint is chipping away from it everywhere.

Their customer service is equally shocking. They never respond to emails and they seldom get back to you on Twitter etc. I opened the controller up to see if I can fix the problem myself as Scuf never got back to me... The insides look like its been soldered by a monkey - I managed to fix the duff paddle (it is still a little intermittent from time to time - usually at a point when I really need to use it).

Awful company.

I'm getting a Battlebeaver instead when I get some extra funds.

I have the exact same experience.  I have bought a Battle Beaver Custom controller to replace my broken Scuf.   However, BBC is VERY VERY slow right now.  I bought mine on Jan 18th and they have not even started working on it yet.  From their emails, they state that they had some people leave and they are greatly understaffed.   It will probably be another couple of weeks before they even ship it.

i have a scuf, and a sharQ. based on using them both for over a year. scuf is hands down the best!!! i haven't had any issues with either of thjem but the build quality of the scuf is much better

I have the exact same experience.  I have bought a Battle Beaver Custom controller to replace my broken Scuf.   However, BBC is VERY VERY slow right now.  I bought mine on Jan 18th and they have not even started working on it yet.  From their emails, they state that they had some people leave and they are greatly understaffed.   It will probably be another couple of weeks before they even ship it.

Damn, I had not heard that.  Hopefully Chris can get you taken care of soon brother.

OP

Save your money.

Use the Bumper Jumper Tactical / flipped button layout

post-436-0-89439900-1456519111_thumb.jpg

and switch L2 - R2 via the Accesibility Menu in PS4.

There you have it. A jump button available without lifting fingers.

Don't forget to practice, practice, practice.

Guy your responses have been great detailed and well thought out plus I love a good old debate hence why I asked the question lol. I'm not really fused about the money I've wasted a lot more money on things far less useful in my life I'm sure we all have, gaming is something I've done since I could first hold a pad so if a controller breaks it ends up as a trophy in my games room with the many others I've collected over the years. I've looked at what everyone has said and in the ideal world I'd buy them all but that would mean the wife removing my meat n veg lol soooooo

I chose the scuf as I've always had the urge and feel I'm at a level of gaming where I can actually warrant it's use I've been playing cod since November 10th 2009 and in reality it's pretty much been the only game in my console minus the odd Gta and BF games my hands are pretty small in honesty so they should have no problem operating it your more than welcome to open the books on how many weeks or months it lasts but me smashing it up the wall is a void bet lmao

Cheers again guys

I have a scuf and it broke at least 6 times in a year. The problem is the tact switch that the paddles make contact with are a membrane type. Basically a silicone bubble that gives the button its click. It bursts, and often for me. I ordered replacement tact switches from battle beaver and replacement them myself around 5 or 6 times. I finally gave up the last time it broke. Now I made my own custom controller. I bought a remap circuit board from eBay for 12 bucks, tact switches and buttons from Amazon for another 8 bucks. Some basic soldering and a hot glue gun and you have basically a BBC controller if all your looking for is to relocate the X and O buttons.

I've had scuf for x1 and recently bought one for the ps4. I too am really enjoying it, no issues. Very solid product, well worth the money.

Archived