Hephaestus spoke and said we need a new controller

Dillinger

Hephaestus spoke to me one day not too long ago while I was reading through the Tales from the Tree of Woe from the #DumaArmy.  

Many a yarn was told of broken R1 and L1 buttons, underside buttons giving way, thumb sticks coming loose or needing replacement.  This was leading to valuable members of the #DumaArmy falling to the hands of inferior players and those without honor.

Hephaestus was not impressed.  Given his lineage and the tales told of his weapons and armor in battle, he was immediately offended.  For those not well versed in Mythology, having an angry God or Demi God is not a place you want to be.

First he went about bringing me a new source of information.  Net-1 joined the forum (shout out to Net-1 *respect*) and with it came the story of a controller out of Japan that was designed with real buttons in place of rocker style triggers.  The construction was reported to be solid and the controller itself was said to be well worth the entry price of around $45-$55 USD (with shipping to the US).

I was intrigued.  I was also skeptical.  

For one, I don't hear many voices anymore, I must be getting old.  But this one was dominating and commanding.  Imagine if Fuzzy Clam was in a REALLY surly mood AND you were just given to him as your 24/7 drill instructor for the next 16 weeks.   :huh:

I was immediately put on notice.  This was my quest to take and denying it wasn't going to happen.  

I ordered the Hori FPS and began planning.  The thing doesn't have underside buttons for jumping/boosting and you really kind of need that for BO3 and AW.  Who knows about Ghost 2, but I suspect AW 2 will definitely need an active underside button for movement.

I could do it myself?  Lots of people have and it's a pretty basic operation.  Then again, I don't read Japanese.  I don't have a clear wiring diagram, and frankly my time is worth a little more than I was prepared to invest in fucking something brand new up six ways from Sunday.   :ph34r:

Enter Chris from Battle Beaver Customs (BBC)

Chris has been a stand up guy since the order of my first BBC controller.  I liked the first one so much, I ordered another one for back up (PS4) and one for the XB1 as well.  Note:  His SmartTriggers are AWESOME for burst guns in BO3.  They are OP as hell!  Just sayin'

I reached out to him.  Told him about the mission, explained the magnitude and would he be willing to be my hands in this quest?

Of course he was!  Hephaestus was the Muse of this Work and no creator in their right mind would dare question the vision.

I sent the Hori FPS over to Chris a couple of weeks ago to get two underside buttons added.

Yesterday I got the final bill (much less than I would have thought) and the new project is now in the hand of UPS heading back to my

So, my fellow #DumaArmy, I give to you the BEFORE images of this project and encourage you to stay tuned for the unboxing, the review and the game play results. 

And now a little Hori FPS BEFORE pron.

More to follow.....

Well,  unless no one cares but me....LOL

I look forward your review and photos.

I am still waiting for my BBC controller, which I purchased based upon your suggestions/reviews. After spending some time with it, I may send my DS4 controller to BBC to customize too.

I look forward your review and photos.

I am still waiting for my BBC controller, which I purchased based upon your suggestions/reviews. After spending some time with it, I may send my DS4 controller to BBC to customize too.

Damn man, sorry that is taking so long. :(  I feel partially responsible there, so please let me know if this drags out to an unfair timeline and I will see if I can do anything.

Damn man, sorry that is taking so long. :(  I feel partially responsible there, so please let me know if this drags out to an unfair timeline and I will see if I can do anything.

It is not your fault unless I hate this thing. LOL j/k.   It is just the nature of life.  I asked them to expedite since my controller is going bad and they quoted me $35 to expedite the order.  Without the expedite I would get around Feb 12 (which is about a month from when I ordered it).  At this point, I decided to not expedite it.  I can use my old DS4 if needed.  For $35 I could also buy another used DS4.   

UPDATE:

The modified controller has returned from Chris at Battle Beaver Customs and the work was fantastic.  Quick turn around and I now have two, very nice underside buttons for jump and melee.

I have been playing with this almost exclusively on BO3 on the PS4 through last weekend's double Weapon XP and into this week.  I really like the larger buttons and overall size of the controller as opposed to the PS4 variant.  This model more closely matches the XB1 style, which for my hands seems to fit better (probably because I was playing on the XB1 for years before Fuzzy made me buy a PS4.  Bully :(  ;) ).

The triggers and grenade buttons are much larger and don't rely as heavily on that rocker action that the other controllers mimic.  This is more of a press, like on a phone pad, as opposed to a squeeze like you would do with a firearm trigger.  The throw from off to activation is pretty quick, though a bit sloppy* and the reset is nice and fairly crisp.  For what is effectively a $60 base controller, it feels pretty solid.  I am definitely NOT disappointed in the construction and materials used based on normal wear and tear thus far.

So far I am really happy with the finished product.  It plugs and plays on the PS4 with no issues.  All the buttons and pads work as intended, no delay or special attention needed.  Chris charged me about $30 (plus shipping) to put the two underside buttons on and wire them up.  Definitely worth it as he did way better work being already set up then I would have if I had to tool up and DIY.  

Total price for the build:  Roughly $110 (two sets of shipping, one for the controller from Japan and then to/from BBC inflated this number)  Obviously buying a ready made BBC, or a Scuf, would feature complete one stop shopping and a warranty.  

For a guy on a budget with a DIY mindset though, this would be a great controller to pick up and modify.  The shell is quality plastic and the size of the controller itself gives you some room to play with as far as inserting your underside buttons in ideal locations.

I'll get some higher res pictures up sometime early next week.  

<more to follow>

*The BBC SmartTriggers are still the single best trigger I have used for gaming.  The BBC PS4 controllers that I have (while they have a design flaw) have been LIGHT YEARS ahead of the stock and Scuf triggers.  The BBC XB1 controller with SmartTriggers is still going strong and I have that for about 8 months now with no issues.

Archived