Opinions on skill based matchmaking

MrTrakky

So BO3 received quiet a large update and it's being stated that skill based matchmaking is back, I wanted to hear your opinions on it, do you think its a good or bad thing should they leave the pubs alone etc let me know what you think folks  

Oh it's horrible , honestly the worst thing that has happened to blops 3 IMO , if it isn't removed then I'm done with blackops 3.

I'll be refunding my purchase of the game + season pass too.

Its the very reason I found it very hard to bond with AW I got a headache from the sheer concentration level I'd be at because every lobby was a sweatfest lol 

I don't believe SBMM is actually in the game.

I believe what is happening is the die-hards a.k.a. try hards, who love CoD are always the first to download and play the new updates and DLC. So, these guys & gals are going to be triple digit prestige ranks (even though level has nothing to do with SBMM) because they play CoD 24/7, and it will look like SBMM is in just because a lot of people have been playing continually since launch. When the patch / DLC filters down to more average players who will check everything out, I feel you will see things return to normal, but it may never be like at launch when everybody was still learning the game.

So, I would wait at least a week, or so, and compare the lobbies to right now (DLC launch) and see if there is a difference. If there is, SBMM does not exist. If it's mostly try hards, then possibly, but again, these kids play the game eight hours a day -- as some of the YT comments confess to -- So, again, no real definitive evidence can be found, either way.

I believe what is happening is the die-hards a.k.a. try hards, who love CoD are always the first to download and play the new updates and DLC. So, these guys & gals are going to be triple digit prestige ranks (even though level has nothing to do with SBMM) because they play CoD 24/7, and it will look like SBMM is in just because a lot of people have been playing continually since launch. When the patch / DLC filters down to more average players who will check everything out, I feel you will see things return to normal, but it may never be like at launch when everybody was still learning the game.

So, I would wait at least a week, or so, and compare the lobbies to right now (DLC launch) and see if there is a difference. If there is, SBMM does not exist. If it's mostly try hards, then possibly, but again, these kids play the game eight hours a day -- as some of the YT comments confess to -- So, again, no real definitive evidence can be found, either way.

Anyone can make a youtube video getting stomped (because of ping/not picking their best games/being a scrub in general looking for attention) in a pub match and claim its sbmm.

Its really that easy.

I don't believe SBMM is actually in the game.

This is exactly what I think too.

Super Sweaty Steve* and Try Hard Trevor* already have the season pass, have the DLC downloaded and will continue to play - so this will feel like SBMM is in full effect.

Meanwhile... Casual Colin* who has not yet turned on his PS4 for the update and Laid Back Larry* hasn't even purchased the season pass are yet to play BO3 since the update to bring the matchmaking back to how it was.

Also, little Timmy No Thumbs* won't see the DLC or season pass until his parents give him some pocket money to buy it.

Until all/most of the existing player base have the DLC, then only the 'hard core' player base will be playing.

*names added in for comical value - I do not endorse or know any of these people.

Super Sweaty Steve* and Try Hard Trevor* already have the season pass, have the DLC downloaded and will continue to play - so this will feel like SBMM is in full effect.

So I'm not going to actually bother researching it because I can't be arsed to, but AM east coast ALWAYS has high SPM players online. (Because little jimmy corner sitter is at school) And they'll come out of the woodwork in the pm due to new maps for a few weeks.

This has always been the case in every CoD/MoH.

Meh, I don't know about SBMM but honestly, I've been placed with some horrible players! I'm a very strong player, over 600SPM and close a 3kd, 9 games out of 10 top of the board and almost always top of lobby leaderboards. The players who have been on my team today are awful! all going negative, some double or even triple negative while I'm the only player keeping the team in the game but just keep losing game after game. 

Something has definitely changed in recent updates.

I play with friends that are real slayers (min of 2.0 k/d with min SPM of 500+).  We played several games last night after the update, and we did not notice any difference in match making.   It definitely did not appear that SBMM was added.   I will say that the games were extremely odd last night.  We play Domination exclusively, they were not capping flags, they were hiding in corners, etc.  One guy was hiding the entire game (0 kills, 0 deaths, 0 caps).  We noticed his name in the beginning of the match, commented on his stats at half and the end of the game.  Therefore, he must have played the entire game.

For SBMM in general, I don't like it.  The basic concept of trying to provide more balance games is admirable.  My problem is how it is implemented and the end result.  With SBMM, it theoretically works to put everyone to a 1.0 k/d ratio, which will  eventually not give you SBMM.   For example, you have 1000 people with 0.5 k/d ratios and 1000 people with 2.0 k/d ratios.   With SBMM, the 1000 people with 0.5 k/d will be playing each other.  In theory they would eventually have a 1.0 k/d ratio.   The same thing would happen with the 2.0 k/d players.     As the two pools get closer to 1.0 k/d, they will start merging together the lower skilled and higher skilled players.  The better players will rise again and the lower players will fall again.  SBMM will then match the higher players together again and the lower players together again to continue the loop.   

I think it was a matter of who downloaded the patch and then got online to play, mostly all the tryhards. The population was small and only the tryhards.

So BO3 received quiet a large update and it's being stated that skill based matchmaking is back, I wanted to hear your opinions on it, do you think its a good or bad thing should they leave the pubs alone etc let me know what you think folks  

PANTS!!!!! to say the least

Surely the fairest way of matchmaking is pings!!!!! why can't they matchmake peoples ping?

Because ultimately the designers are far more concerned with ensuring that casual players don't get pubstomped through SBMM, as it is far more likely that a casual player will quit playing far sooner if they are getting manhandled than if they are simply experiencing bad connections, which half of them aren't even savvy enough to recognize as poor matchmaking and netcode (especially when lag and "randomness" is likely to benefit a bad player more than a good player anyway).  They just respawn and move on.

They need to keep casual players protected and happy and buying up that dlc and supply drops like candy after all..

I don't know what they put in or took out but BO3 (for me anyway) was a crap shoot at best before but today was brutal and I quit after a few hours.

This is the worst any game has ever ran for me,it use to be MW3 but a new champion has emerged.I hope it is just temporary as it was not fun in any way,shape or form.

And I hear the PS3 calling my name... ;)

Been averaging 30-40 kills a game on new maps and old all day. Campers are going to be WAY worse because of public stats <_<

Would be nice if I didn't loose after getting double Wraith HATR WRAPS with 40+ score on Splash, stinking no thumb teammates.

I don't believe there is any SBMM; I played in maps where there were 3 players with triple digit Master P and a couple of us were either not not Prestiged at all or like myself first.  Given my SPM and K/D they would never have me in a match with so much talent.  Yes we did ckeck the leaderboard the those guys were very good for the most part.

Is it me or are the teammates you get matched with are the worst I have ever seen with any other COD.  I mean they are not just going negative but like 2-27.  I mean crazy negative values.  I mean I think I would probably rage quite before I went that negative.  There is a point at which you would think that you are not helping your teammates but just feeding the opposing team kills. I'm at a loss.

You guys are really not making me look forward to the dlc packs being released for Xbox.

We gotta post vids of the shite gameplay and spread that crap all over the Internet -Twitter, YouTube etc. I'll like and retweet that stuff so it spreads. Maybe they will do something if we shame them a little.

It's a shame they take our money and give us crap product. And there is no telling how much money they've made off microtransactions.

This won't do a damn thing, unfortunately.

The ONLY way to effect real change is if the pros and / or big YTers like Drit0r, TMartn, et al. publicly address these issues and persuade their young fans to NOT buy any more mDLC, DLC or games until they move to a newer engine, or just finally FIX this crap. As has been stated ad infinitum, this will NEVER happen because there is too much money involved with all parties and that is the number one thing they all care about. Not the quality of the online game play, just that people are playing it even if it is a sub par experience. :( 

SBMM is not in the game. It is the players that are in your area that you get matched up againest. Try german lobbies and uk lobbies and you will see how annoyingly good german players are. Full try hard no kidding. When I host lobbies its even easier than playing on Uk servers.

SBMM is not there.

Archived