Black Ops 3 matchmaking will always prioritize network quality

Albo2001

According to Bunting’s remarks during today’s BO3Fridays live stream, Black Ops 3 matchmaking will always prioritize network quality while skill will only be weighed when the game is trying to balance teams after a lobby has been created. He explained that there’s a lot more that goes on behind the scenes than that, but it sounds like those unhappy with last year’s system will have their pub-stomping fun this year.

IF this works like it was explained, this will be awesome for everyone with a Duma.

Well, unless you live in the same city as an MLG team house.....

Crossy, Pro Innocence, Lukasz and the rest of you Young Slayers just keep your asses on that side of the pond! Fuzzy and I need some fresh newbs for the Funeral Pyre.

have they used any skillsystem in the games before?

cause for me it always felt like they didnt have any search criteria at all, sometimes you face extremly good players while most of the time you face easy random players

cause for me it always felt like they didnt have any search criteria at all, sometimes you face extremly good players while most of the time you face easy random players

I watched an interview with one of the developers (don't remember which one) regarding BO3.  To paraphrase: SBMM has been in the engine on previous games, but the priority weighting on it was set very low. 

The one thing that I will love in BO3 game matching is the de-prioritization of previous games.  For example, if you enter a game that is in progress and your team is losing badly.  If you back out and try to enter another game, the previous game will be set to a low priority so you aren't likely to enter it again.

Yes Bops2 had SBMM for the first month or so until the backlash made them take it out.

So if I get it right is this some sort of ping classification ?  Low ping lobbies, average ping lobbies, etc...?

I would have thought so, this is how the old cods work except if there is no games it moves to the next level of ping's so on and so forth.

With a duma it forces you into low ping local lobby's with a little wait.

wasnt MW3 like that?

i think i remember it started to search pings of 50ms first, then 75ms, then 100ms, then 150ms and then "any game"

tbh i didnt felt like it made much of a difference in that game

I would have thought so, this is how the old cods work except if there is no games it moves to the next level of ping's so on and so forth.

With a duma it forces you into low ping local lobby's with a little wait.

Z is right a great example of that is MW3 you can see it searching for games in the upper right hand corner and I think it goes by 50 ms at a time.If it doesn't find a game at 50 ms,you can see it switch to 100 ms and so on.

And I would love to jump on the hype train about how connectivity is gonna be the deciding factor in matchmaking but I just don't believe it because someone says it.After being mislead so many times,you gotta show me...not tell me.And when I see it with my own eyes then I will believe it.

I want this to be a good playing game,would love great but will settle for good.As I really think the franchise needs to crush this title and I myself would love to have a game I can play the entire year,good matchmaking and smooth gameplay.

And if everyone's gaming gets better then that's just a bonus,but like JD said as long as his and my gaming gets better that's the main thing... :D

With this method when there is a big population of players it works well its when players dwindle then higher ping matches kick in.

Agreed.  This will be great if the population is there to play it.  With this scenario if you live in a gamer devoid place, like a Tibetan Monastery or Amish COuntry, you are PROBABLY going to encounter some lobby issues.  

With the Duma, you will be able to restrict your distances and almost force a connection locally.  Provided those local to you have good internet (and haven't been black listed previous), you will eventually get good games.

All of which brings me back to the questions about optimization on the dedicated servers.  I'd love to have the ability to play some games on P2P, but I don't know if that will be possible.

As I have good internet, and I am close to that damn Seattle bank, I have my current Geo Filter shrunk down to the smallest possible size around the dedi location while playing Black Ops 2.  I am not going to lie, the P2P hosted games are much better for me.  On the Seattle bank, I can go absolutely ham for a few minutes and then, poof!  Just like magic I change magazines and load up an entire stack of marshmellows.  I'm playing without Toughness as well, so the games have been difficult at times to say the least.   :huh:

Like Fuzzy, I just want a fun game to play that "appears" to give me an even playing field.  If I get that, I can deal with the rest of the crap.  After two years of sub par offerings (my opinion only) I am really looking forward to getting a new game of CoD that I WANT to play.

All of that goes out the window if the game is 95% filtered on dedis as my only other close choice for the Beta was Kansas City.   :(  Maybe I can join Fuzzy on the midwest dedi, coupled with my distance from him, I might be a Lag Comp God.....LOL

Of course you can roll with me and if you're getting the short end of the stick on the Seattle server,you just might become a lag comp god on the midwest bank.

But damn I just hope it plays well for everyone,wherever they're at.

After the first few days of the beta it played really well here in the UK, I put that down to nobody being able to play unless they did the brazil trick on xboxlive.com website so I was playing with the far reaches of the world at first.

I too hope everyone gets the good end of the stick.

as a neutral player who rarely plays cod i need to say the beta played terrible connection wise

played both PS4 and Xbox One beta quite a lot

Xbox One was terrible (EU), PS4 was somewhat acceptable (EU)

i base my experience in comparison on other AAA online shooters, while if you rate the beta with CoD titles in mind it might played good connectionwise, as soon as you rate it against other AAA shooters the game plays like a 10y old kid programmed it in the garage within one day

absolutly terrible, netduma could increase the experience but still absolutly inacceptable for the development budget this game has

No argument there.  I got online with the Beta on Tuesday night (digital pre-order so I didn't have any code or access issues).  

• Tuesday night I got a few P2P games.  
  • Wednesday I was on the Seattle and Kansas City dedi's (depending on where I put my home) - The game played okay.
  • Thursday it was completely unplayable on the Seattle server.  I played a bunch of games on Kansas City and had better games than Sea, but still shit.
  • Friday there were (2) patches.  The first one made it playable, the second one really made it decent on Seattle and Kansas City.  It wasn't great, but it was better and I could play multiple games without rage quitting.
  • Saturday and Sunday it was pretty good on the dedi's.  It wasn't as good as P2P in other titles, but I could get used to it.

If they continue to optimize it, I'm hopeful.  But that has been my stance since they went to a three year cycle.  My horse has been Treyarch and I am still waiting for it to come in.  I want to like this year's edition and I want to "want to play it", but who knows.

I will say this.  I have a LONG commute each day, so I have a ton of time on the train to kill.  I have been watching release videos from some of the big you tubers (that I like) from Black Ops 2 and there were some issues.  This has reinforced the fact for me that I may not have a happy experience that first weekend and I need to remember that before whipping my BBC across the room and checking the secular density of the drywall in my gaming room.   :unsure:  :ph34r:

I have both the XB1 and the PS4, so one of them better give me a playable game.  I can't do another year of Blops 2 while I wait for Ghosts 2 to push Blops 3 out into the P2P world.

So if I get it right is this some sort of ping classification ?  Low ping lobbies, average ping lobbies, etc...?

"Realistic" setting is one hit and you are dead, no health regen.  In the campaign. :huh:   I can't wait to try it with Fuzzy Clam on an open mic.....LMAO!   :D  :P

You know that's right i'll be screaming from the time I turn the console on.

And JD no way we can do another year on BO2.But if BO3 is ass and I play it all year with you,no matter how bad Ghosts 2 is we're rolling with it the entire year.

That will be your penance for a bad BO3... ;)

Archived