VZW ONT - Netgear Router - NETDUMA Ping differences

Team,

I see a substantial difference in ping on the same dedi server just by plugging my xbone directly into my Netgear Router instead of R1.  I do not use the VZW Modem/Router.  The Netgear router is acting as my modem.  So my network set up goes: ONT>Netgear Router>Netduma R1>all other devices/switches.  The only thing plugged into my Netgear Router besides the Duma is a USB printer.

One of my main go-to games is Titanfall, and it plays on dedi servers. There is no P2P.  When using the R1 my Ping is usually in the 50-65ms range.  If I unplug my xbone cable from the R1 and plug it directly into the Netgear router my ping is reduced to the mid-20's ms every time. Is there some sort of problem initiated by using the ONT>router>router method?

The first attachment is a screenshot of the initial screen showing a ping of 52ms. This is using the R1

post-2841-0-59824100-1442789871_thumb.png

This attachment shows a ping of 27ms. This is xbone cable connected directly to Netgear Router instead of R1

post-2841-0-01692100-1442790065_thumb.png

Any suggestions?  I have to say, even though I stink at any ping level, it seems like my games were smoother/better hit detection/less feeling like a second behind in the Netgear @ 27ms.

Well the ONT is basically the modem. I have a cat5 cable coming from my ONT outside and it goes straight into the duma. The installer said they don't do that so I ripped out his coax and installed the ethernet. Much better than having to put their dumb router in bridge mode. 

If i understand correctly in the end you have sad that on those hihger ping ggames yousing netduma you had a lot better expirence then on that lower one?

If so you have answered you question. Those test in game of xbone o ps4 test are not reaiable at all because they are simply veey in accurate you can never tell what they are showing you.

So for future i would not use those as a point of reference. They are other ways to test you ping.

Well the ONT is basically the modem. I have a cat5 cable coming from my ONT outside and it goes straight into the duma. The installer said they don't do that so I ripped out his coax and installed the ethernet. Much better than having to put their dumb router in bridge mode. 

Codester, Your Duma works connected directly to the ONT? Mine always said "Limited connection."  Did you need to do anything special like wait and hour for the lease to renew for the Duma to work with the ONT?  

If i understand correctly in the end you have sad that on those hihger ping ggames yousing netduma you had a lot better expirence then on that lower one?

If so you have answered you question. Those test in game of xbone o ps4 test are not reaiable at all because they are simply veey in accurate you can never tell what they are showing you.

So for future i would not use those as a point of reference. They are other ways to test you ping.

what's up Lukasz?  Thanks for your input.  The games this weekend without the Duma plugged in seemed better.  Those examples I attached are very consistent when I experiment with/without the Duma. While I get what you're saying about them being unreliable. The experience in the games seems to show that there is some negative effect in the ping if the Duma is plugged in when dealing with these dedi servers.  It seemed like I was more up to speed in games without the duma in the system.  I'm still experimenting.  I wonder though.  Can just having the scond router in the line actually add 25-40ms in ping?

Hi Zennon,

I tried 2 different cables.  1 was new factory made, and I made the other. Both were cat6. All three cables worked the same.  There is still an additional 25-40 ms ping when I have the R1 in the mix.  As soon as I connect my xbone cable directly to the Netgear router the ping on the titanfall server is in the low to mid 20's.  The only thing I can think that could make a difference would be when I take the xbone cable out of the R1, I am also disconnecting the R1 from the entire network.  At this time it's just the xbox on the network.  In normal operation there are 16 devices connected to the Duma.  Not all are active at once.  I attached a screen shot of my settings and one of the the device manager at a typical moment in time. My network speeds typically test out to be 58-59 mbps down and 45-47 mbps upload, although I'm listed as 50/50 from the ISP.  I use the preemptive algorithm.

1443059808-U2841.png

1443059558-U2841.png

Just to add, I'm not sure if titanfall hosts appear on the Geo-filter but have you pinged the host/server there and seen what it says?

Z- IPv6 is/was unticked

Duma Internet Diagnostic XBone off

1443100601-U2841.png

Pingtest.net through R1-XBone off

1443102213-U2841.png

R1 Stats on Matchmaker Server

1443100661-U2841.png

Z- IPv6 is/was unticked

Duma Internet Diagnostic XBone off

1443100601-U2841.png

Pingtest.net through R1-XBone off

1443102213-U2841.png

R1 Stats on Matchmaker Server

1443100661-U2841.png

R1 Stats connected to actual game

1443100713-U2841.png

Pingtest.net using Netgear Only

1443102368-U2841.png

Your average base ping time through the Netduma's diagnostics are around 25ms, (speedtest.net ping's are never accurate) what are your pings through the other router?

if they are 25ms then it is the server that is showing either an incorrect ping from the game or the duma.

I would say the game.

I would agree.  I believe the R1's measurements are better than the games, but the main question remains...why would the ping be so drastically reduced from the same matchmaking server just by removing the R1 from the network and connecting the xb directly to the Netgear router?

The base ping through the Netduma is showing around 25ms so it should in theory be the same as your other router when connected.

All cables have been replaced between the two routers and the console?

Bandwidth set into the Netduma and congestion control set to 70%?

The base ping through the Netduma is showing around 25ms so it should in theory be the same as your other router when connected.

All cables have been replaced between the two routers and the console?

Bandwidth set into the Netduma and congestion control set to 70%?

Yes, Those are the settings I use.  Not all the cables have been replaced. I haven't replaced the cable from the router to my xb, but that shouldn't matter because the same cable is giving the 2 different measurements.  The only change is it's either connected to the R1 or the Netgear.  I know the cable is good, because I have a tester that measures pin-out and transmission quality of cat5 and cat6 cables.  If you look at the screen shots of the R1's measurements when connected to the matchmaking server and the actual game server; the pings actually match what I'm seeing in the original screen shots which i used to start the thread.  The only problem is I can't use the R1's measuring abilities when I am connected directly to the netgear router to help, because it's no longer part of the network. 

FYI,  I removed the Netgear Router from the Network and the ping reduced drastically.  It was consistent with 25 ms values shown in th ping diagnostics.  It turns out the R1 can be connected directly to the VZW ONT without the need for a modem in between. (as Codester had mentioned above)  The ONT is actually the piece of equipment that dishes out the IP's. All I needed to do was call VZW and ask them to break the lease and the R1 fired right up.  Doing this improved ping values on every game I tried.

Thanks for the help

Archived