Recommendations for a good gaming monitor?

lukasz

Ever since Ive had my PS4 ( I dont pc game at all ) ive had this monitor ASUS VH236H which when I bought back in 2012 had great reviews and allot of people liked it, back then it cost me under $180.00 and its the monitor I have connected to the PS4 currently. 

I can do a few things here, buy a better monitor and connect that one to the ps4 and use the current on for the new pc, yeah buying 2 monitors is not an option.

Buying that BENq 2420z would you really benefit much from it connected to a PS4, the main focus of buying a new pc was not for gaming at all but for an all in one machine to edit , stream, render, Ive always been a console gamer.

I seen the prices on amazon for it (2420z) and its like $319.00, I understand its 240z but worth it to connect the PS4 via hdmi?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As indicated by Od1n, we had a good thread going on with gaming monitor choices, so I have combined the threads into one.  Please let me know if either OP has a concern or need a "title" change.

Thanks,

JD

i use the extreme maximum to get the most out of spotting opponents as good as possible, i recommend using something in between

picture mode:

profile Gamer1 (this means you create a custom profile)

picture display:

full

menu:

picture brightness 20

picture contrast 100

picture black equalizer 20

picture blur reduction on

picture color temperature: whatever you prefer

picture reset color no

picture ama high

picture instant mode on

sharpness 10

anything else should be greyed out as already optimized for gaming (gaming profile)

its needed to adjust the RGB colors too as the benq ships with faulty color settings

here is what you need to set it to to have natural colors:

Red= 96

Green= 97

Blue= 100

Yeah I have the monitor and I put my PS4 and XB1 in (2 HDMI in) and output the image to my capture device (HDMI out).

I also found that the settings kindly shared by Od1n work perfectly on this model too.  :)

The only differences I made compared to Od1n's was to make sharpness 5 instead of 10 (I play BF and Titanfall on PC which is on the BenQ XL 2420TE) as I play COD mostly on these consoles which are connected to this (RL2460HT) monitor and I made the contrast 70 instead of 100 as I like the image slightly darker (whilst leaving Black EQ at 20).

These settings of OD1n's are awesome though (work on both my monitors), I really appreciate that he has shared them with us as it has helped me see the enemy much earlier than usual.

Thank you Od1n!  :)

Thank you to everyone for your sharing your experience, settings, advice, etc.  Based upon your inputs, I recently bought a RL2460HT that I will be using with my PS4.  It should arrive today, and I plan to set it up tonight.  I almost exclusively play COD Advanced Warfare.

I have seen the above, are there any other settings suggestions for PS4 COD Advanced Warfare? 

Thank you to everyone for your sharing your experience, settings, advice, etc.  Based upon your inputs, I recently bought a RL2460HT that I will be using with my PS4.  It should arrive today, and I plan to set it up tonight.  I almost exclusively play COD Advanced Warfare.

I have seen the above, are there any other settings suggestions for PS4 COD Advanced Warfare? 

I have no other settings to suggest, I still use those settings to this very day.

I got my BenQ RL2460HT yesterday from Amazon.  Unfortunately, it did not work.  None of the HDMI ports were working.  After talking with tech support, I am getting a replacement unit which should arrive Thursday.  Ugg, I was really looking forward to seeing the difference yesterday.  Oh well, another two days of waiting.

I blame it on Amazon packaging (which I fed back to Amazon).  The original BenQ box was put inside a bigger cardboard box without any packaging material what so ever.  Therefore, the BenQ box could bounce around in the other box through shipping.

Just brought the RL2455HM £117 guarenteed delivery for tomorrow

Hi Ashy im new here and was looking at this monitor myself after reading Od1ns post the other day. Where did you get yours from please? Cheapest i found was amazon for £127.

Its not as snazzy looking as the other ones but has the same black eq tech thingy and is more in my budget lol

Any chance if you could give your opinion on your new moni when you have it set up please ;) you know, just if its worth the money and pic quality :)

Hi Ashy im new here and was looking at this monitor myself after reading Od1ns post the other day. Where did you get yours from please? Cheapest i found was amazon for £127.

Its not as snazzy looking as the other ones but has the same black eq tech thingy and is more in my budget lol

Any chance if you could give your opinion on your new moni when you have it set up please ;) you know, just if its worth the money and pic quality :)

Hi Sir_smooch,

I've got the RL2455HM along with a few others on here and you're getting a lot of bang for your buck for that price.

I think I paid £120-30ish on Amazon a few months ago and along with my R1 router, this monitor is hands down one of the best purchases I have made for gaming.

Picture quality etc is amazing! The sound... not so... but I use a headset or have it running through some decent speakers.

The newer  BenQ monitors have a higher refresh rate, but if you're only going to use it for console and you're not bothered about having an HDMI out then the RL2455HM is the one to go for. 

Just for laughs, I plugged my PS4 back into my TV to see if I could notice a difference. I couldn't stand it and switched back to my monitor within an hour.

:)

I finally got a working RL2460HT and got it working with my PS4.   For some reason, I cannot get it working with my Dell XPS 702x.  Oh well, not a big deal, I don't really need it for that.  

I can am using Od1n and A7Legit's settings which are working well.  I was playing on a Sony Bravia 55" TV.  I can definitely tell the difference in response time.  I mostly play Domination and I am a rusher and OBJ player, so I often get quick, close encounters.  With the TV I found that I am lost more than I would like.  With the BenQ I find that I have been winning a very large majority of them now.  

The only draw back so far is that I need a better chair and a foot rest because I have a bad knee.   Also, with the 24" monitor, it is a little more difficult for me to see some players farther out (old man eyes).  

Thank you to everyone for the recommendations and help.  I am loving it.

I was playing on a Sony Bravia 55" TV.  I can definitely tell the difference in response time.  I mostly play Domination and I am a rusher and OBJ player, so I often get quick, close encounters.  With the TV I found that I am lost more than I would like.  With the BenQ I find that I have been winning a very large majority of them now.  

Thank you to everyone for the recommendations and help.  I am loving it.

Man, so much of that rang true with me.  I was playing on a 55" Vizio and I was losing gunfights all the time.  I didn't immediately jump to "get a new monitor" because I was playing a console game and it was made for casual gamers on TV's right??   :huh:  :wacko:

Jesus Christ - What a difference it was when I switched.  It was a jaw dropping difference. 

The Netduma has made the biggest change in my gaming, game play and enjoyment, but second place would definitely be my BenQ.  I absolutely LOVE that thing and what I can do with it. :D

My brother completely laughs at me because of my gaming while my son, nephew and their friends love that I game with them.  I play a $60 COD game.  I don't like the sluggish PS3, so buy a PS4.  Headset is broken, get a new headset.  Exo abilities on AW requires a lot more jumping and panic punching, so buy a Scuf.  Don't like the lag, so I get a NetDuma.  Still don't like display lag and losing too many gun fights, get a new monitor.  Need  place for new monitor, get a new desk.   Chair is not comfortable and bothers my bad knee, get a new chair and foot rest.  

As a executive and business manager, I have to laugh at spending over $1000 to enjoy a $60 game.  (laughs at myself)  However, I am definitely enjoying my gaming experience more now though.  Older player with more income to spend in order to provide a better competitive advantage so I can beat teens amped on red bull with better reaction times and eye sight.  LOL

As a executive and business manager, I have to laugh at spending over $1000 to enjoy a $60 game.  (laughs at myself)  However, I am definitely enjoying my gaming experience more now though.  Older player with more income to spend in order to provide a better competitive advantage so I can beat teens amped on red bull with better reaction times and eye sight.  LOL

Dude.  Get out of my head.....LMAO.  It's like we are twins from other mothers.... :D

Benq xl2420z/t or benq xl2430t without a doubt the best monitors! I've tried many any now have the xl2420z and its by far the best

They are indeed great monitors, but the 2460HT is a very cost effective monitor for 60fps console gaming.

Another update.  So I was able to play more this weekend and get used to my new RL2460HT monitor, which I am using Od1n and A7's settings.  Most of my friends were playing other games (mostly Destiny), so I was playing solo and able to use the geo filter.  I can say that I had some of my best games using the Netduma, Benq monitor and scuf.  

I was absolutely pulling off moves that I have never been able to do before.  As an example, I was playing Riot Domination and was playing around the B flag.  I was able to hold off the entire team coming from C flag for almost the entire game.  I did not realize it, but at one point I went on a 20 streak around the B flag.  Of course, the other team were getting pissed and accusing me of cheating, lag switching, etc.  

For me, the true sign that you are doing really well in COD is when you start getting lots of hate messages. LOL

Archived