Recommendations for a good gaming monitor?

lukasz

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you have money then the BenQ XL2420Z, XL2411Z or its 27'' versions are the best buy you can do for a 30 to 60 fps machine with no g-sync as it has by far the best picture enhancement options without introducing additional inputlag

it doesnt matter if your monitor has 5ms or 15ms inputlag, however what really matters is the picture

if you can detect an opponent half a second earlier than you would do with a normal monitor then this is worth more than saving 2-3ms of inputlag

the benq has 11ms average delay i think

asus is also doing good monitors but their picture enhancement sucks, its the budget buy in my oppinion

also if you want to research proper input lag values then dont use display-database, their measurement is not that accurate

for instance the Asus above has an value of up to 12,6ms with a latency of 6,2ms

(the benq above has an overall 11,0ms so a bit faster)

check prad.de if you want to know the true values, either use their english page version or google translate incase you dont speak german

here you have an example i did a while ago of the picture enhancement, in this case the black equalizer

upper picture = regular monitor feed (offscreen pic)

lower picture = benq monitor feed (offscreen pic)

pay attention to the small house in the middle-left with the two AC blocks on top

in the regular picture you almost can see nothing on the rooftop, its just black

with the benq its perfectly visible, advantage is that in BF4 there usually are at least 1-2 snipers up there waiting for you

thats just one scenario

eRbtq4E.jpg

021m98l.jpg

a9O99QG.jpg

1XihRGl.jpg

general difference from the companies homepage

black-equalizer.jpg

the trick with the black equalizer is that it only boosts the black and dark areas while not brightening the other regions

regular monitors cannot do this, they brighten up the whole picture making it look extremly washed out and grey

the last picture showcases this pretty well, the upper left is a bright part and therefore not boosted unlike the lower right part with the car

same for the first two when looking at the stones

(my pictures are very dark in general)

ou yeah bro, I know what you mean with it, but for me it didnt worked somehow... i had the banQ here and for me it was to much more ghosting there.

However i do my settings with brightness and contrast etc. by my self so i dont realy need the B.EQ

BUT thanks for the tip bro, i will check it out again, maybe BanQ is getting better this year :)

since you re from germany jeycee i recommend you to use display-database as a first benchmark to judge on monitors but then research them on prad.de

their measurement and analysis is much more advanced and helpfull + its in german

eg display-database is measuring input-lag via optical delay to a CRT (or optical delay to the HDMI signal source)

prad.de however is doing the oszilloscope measurement that is much better, youll see that display-database values do vary from prad.de values quite a bit (the trend is the same though)

i mean people that already buy a netduma to get the most out of their connection surely also want to get the most out of their other gear right? ;)

therefore id look into prad.de, the best monitor test site i found so far :)

just a tip aside from that lukasz is looking for

Od1n would you be so kind as to share your settings please?

i use the extreme maximum to get the most out of spotting opponents as good as possible, i recommend using something in between

picture mode:

profile Gamer1 (this means you create a custom profile)

picture display:

full

menu:

picture brightness 20

picture contrast 100

picture black equalizer 20

picture blur reduction on

picture color temperature: whatever you prefer

picture reset color no

picture ama high

picture instant mode on

sharpness 10

anything else should be greyed out as already optimized for gaming (gaming profile)

its needed to adjust the RGB colors too as the benq ships with faulty color settings

here is what you need to set it to to have natural colors:

Red= 96

Green= 97

Blue= 100

as i said i use the extreme maximum to see opponents better, i recommend to use less sharpness

the first two pictures do showcase the crazy shaprness i use pretty good, its not for everybody but greatly helps to see your opponents even on huge distances :)

for CoD probably not usefull, most encounters are not longer than 20m as the maps are so tight and small

in BF4 you have 100-150m encounters quite often therefore worth to at least give it a try

i know prad of course bro, all i say i have tested monitors at my home and my choice was at this time asus. because you get great picture with all digital settings OFF which increase lag + the monitor looks as good as my imac :)

if you use any EQs or some blur reduction or what ever it will increase you lag thats fact and thats what prad.de told me.

its important to see it by your self more then any tests. its personal choice for everyone.

I'm glad you guys did this post because I was just thinking if everyone who has a Benq would share their settings. WONDERFUL. I have a kinda older one. I have the xl2420t.

Thanks Od1n.

Yes I am a PC gamer, and was thinking of getting a 144Hz monitor.  Not sure why monitors do not have Display Ports these days as well.

This is the one I currently have as it came as a bundle with my Video Card!  Yup free....

http://www.amazon.com/PB287Q-28-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KJGY3TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423675181&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+PB287Q

But I wondered if a 144Hz monitor would be more beneficial to me in gaming.

@ lukasz i know it sounds simple but buy the monitor with the features you want but can also afford.Both the BenQ and ASUS are great monitors.I personally have the BenQ RL2455 HM and it works fine for me.I got it for 125 dollars because it's last years model,but not a big deal for me.Look for some of last years model's and you'll find some really good deals.

Also be aware that some monitors don't have speakers in them so if you don't play with a head set you'll have to get some computer speakers.

Just my opinion but i would stick with the BenQ or ASUS just decide if you want to spend 200 dollars or 500 dollars on it   :)

@ lukasz i know it sounds simple but buy the monitor with the features you want but can also afford.Both the BenQ and ASUS are great monitors.I personally have the BenQ RL2455 HM and it works fine for me.I got it for 125 dollars because it's last years model,but not a big deal for me.Look for some of last years model's and you'll find some really good deals.

Also be aware that some monitors don't have speakers in them so if you don't play with a head set you'll have to get some computer speakers.

Just my opinion but i would stick with the BenQ or ASUS just decide if you want to spend 200 dollars or 500 dollars on it   :)

well thats the thing i would love to spen 500 bot becouse of months now i have to spend around 300 pounds each month on dentis with few more to come i my max is 150 pound witch is about 200 bucks

Well there ya go,if you know your budget that's half the battle.Now just go find the monitor with the features you like.with the price tag you like and your all set.

That Benq RL2455HM should be perfect for you. It's refresh rate is 75hz, so it's great for use with consoles. The more expensive 144 hz models would be overkill with the consoles so unless you're planning on using it for PC gaming too, I'd go with that one.

Archived