Thoughts on why Titanfall died?

major masingil

I have to say I freaking love Titanfall.  The movement within the game really changed the FPS scene.  Not having a ton of different weapons and other glitter never really bothered me.  I still play a lot. I wish you could wall run on every FPS. Just wondering what the Dumians think.  Why did it fizzle so badly? It has so much to offer if you just want to get online and wreck.  Why do you guys think when you're playing pubs no one communicates or understands how working together helps win the games?

major masingil - if anyone wants to link up

XBONE

New York State

I loved Titanfall when i still had the xbox one.  The only complaints i read about it were from the mlg crowd that complain about everything in a game anyways.  Maybe people were expecting it to be like MW2 since it was from those guys.   I know I'm looking forward to the next one when it comes to PS4! :)

The game was very good and very fun but lacked the depth necessary to keep it going for long. There were limited game modes, limited maps, limited customisations, limited

loadouts that worked. I should also mention that updates are very very slow to be released. 

These overall were the primary reasons why I think the game did not have longevity:

1) Guns and unlocks
This is by far the biggest complaint we have for Titanfall and the most common one we read about. 1 sniper rifle and 1 shotgun is unacceptable in this day and age when games like Call of Duty and Battlefield have 5+ to select from for each class. That feeling of “gotta reach level 40 to unlock that new sniper rifle” or “1 more kill for that new camo” are gone. Why should I keep grinding?

2) No Traditional Campaign
Titanfall’s MP campaign was a huge gamble that unfortunately didn’t pay off. Gone are the “Oh shit” moments, instead you can beat the campaign by camping and just waiting for the match to end. Respawn even admitted in “Final Hours of Titanfall” that the MP Campaign design was chosen so they wouldn’t delay the game.

3) AI Bots
We know they were added with inexperienced players in mind, in addition to the maps needing to be large enough for Titans so you would need more things to shoot at, but I think we can all agree that the AI minions in Titanfall might as well be paper targets. Im not even sure how anyone could market them as “AI” seeing as how stupid they are. Theres no fun (and honor) in shooting something that doesn’t know how to shoot back at you.

4) Auto-Titan enabled because Titans are no fun
The game, marketing, and story all revolve around Titans… yet no one wants to play as a Titan which is evident when every Titan in a match is set to auto-Titan. They looked cool and fun in the trailer but all they do is manage to prevent you from your next wall run (which is the coolest part of the game).

Again these are just opinions.

Now that a indepth opinion my friend. Good job Buck. Always wanted to play that game i was so hyped when i first heared about that game just to realsie i am on ps4 .

For me it was basically all the things buck said plus a few more. Lack of HC is a game breaker for me. The titans were overkill and I like to use guns that are actually real (no offense AW, but the "lazer" guns annoy me as well). The gameplay is very fluid and great, but I'm more of a here and now type guy.

for me it was many things.

what i loved was the character capabilities. the BETA was awesome! 

BUT the titans werent a legit killstreak thing. the AI was annoying. the maps were made for ititans and not FPS. the callcards were lame. the lack of weapons lost my interest quickly. the poor class loadouts were limited and boring. the only mode i liked [pilot skirmish] never had enough people to ever play it.

Titanfall is great but BUCK is 100% right , there are only so many times you can get excited when the big fella drops . Personally it took me a couple of weeks to realise about the Bots and I realised I was not as good as I thought ! That put me off a little

Well, it would appear Buck wandered in and closed the thread down with what a lot of us were thinking....  *looks at the dropped mic rolling towards the edge of the stage and shrugs*

Titanfall was a good "first effort".  I know it wasn't a new concept or team, or done by complete aliens to the FPS platform, but it was a new title going against heavy competition and I felt they did what they needed to do to get a repeat performance.  

No different from that time you got to take the hot chick home and knew you had out kicked your coverage.  Don't mess this up, play like you have been here before, and act like you want that repeat performance.  Right?

The same is true for the Titanfall peeps.  They got enough hype, sales (I think) and interest to go back to the drawing board and address where they fell flat.

I don't think they failed.  I think they stumbled, but far less than some expected.

I am actually looking forward to seeing what they rebound with for this next evolution.  But a great place to start would be that "Commandments-Like list" that Buck put together.  ;)

Yeah there were some major limitations as far as load outs.  There weren't very many weapon options that were functional across all the maps except the RC101.  Like I said that stuff never really bothered me. I used all the weapons except the smart pistol and nuclear eject.  They both were too cheese for me to feel they were fair.  I appreciate the perspectives though. I think you guys pretty much summed it up as far as what caused the decline in popularity.  However you should know, the players who are left playing on a regular basis make for some really good matches.  It's common to have several lead changes and games which are decided by just a couple points.

BL4CK OPS V3TRN  that's too much! haha I was the same way about the AI, i kept expecting them to drop me if I stopped moving for a second.  Yet somehow I always prevailed against them.  Nothing worse than being 1 shot in heath from a showdown with a real player only to run around the corner and get dropped by a Specter.

I guess i was out of the loop on so many people not liking it, or just losing interest quickly.  I understand all of those reasons though; they never bothered me but are completely true.  

To me it was just good fun to use my titan and blow as many titans up with the nuke eject as i could.  Just having little objectives like that was fun for me. :)  I'm looking forward to the next coming out on PS4 and hope it does well.

I guess i was out of the loop on so many people not liking it, or just losing interest quickly.  I understand all of those reasons though; they never bothered me but are completely true.  

To me it was just good fun to use my titan and blow as many titans up with the nuke eject as i could.  Just having little objectives like that was fun for me. :)  I'm looking forward to the next coming out on PS4 and hope it does well.

I still think this game is great.  I definitely agree with some of the criticisms made, but I agree with you;  those things never bothered me.  I was wondering why it was so hard to get a game in anything other than Attrition. ( even though Attrition is pretty awesome by itself)  Once you learn how to really move as a Pilot it's easy to get across the map in no time. I still feel like the Nuclear Eject as an offensive tactic instead of as a result of a titan becoming doomed is a little cheesy, but it's part of the game so I just grin a bear it.  

Archived