Netduma R2 Connection Benchmark App Issue | Significant Reduction of Speed

Sameer

Hi Guys,

I've got Virgin media Gig1 (1000/50 min speed) service.

While my PC is directly connected to the Virginmedia Hub 4, I get the roughly +900Down and +50Up. (Ref: samKnows_test_01.png)
Also, My PC and Xbox are all hard wired to the R2 (Firmware Version: R2 3.2.453).

However, when I do the speed test using Netduma R2 Connection Benchmark tool (with No Congestion Control), its never stable and always fluctuate between ~300 - 500Down and ~45 - 50Up
Therotically, I should be getting almost same speed as I get while directly connected to Hub 4 (i.e. about +900Down and +50Up.) without the Congestion Control ON.
However, the results are always inconsistance and never get the expected speed with the R2 Connection Benchmark speed test tool. (Ref: duma_test_01.png, duma_test_02.png)

Issue with such inconsistance speed with R2, is not allowing me to identify what speed should I set to the R2 so that I can set appropriate % of Congestion Control.
However, I tried to set 790Down and 50Up with 90% flood control. 
Results, poor and inconsistance results (i.e., B or D) for both Speed and Ping Under Load with Congestion Control ON. (Ref: duma_test_cong_control_01.png, duma_test_cong_control_02.png)

I suspect, this is the reason why I keep getting Packet Burst, High-Latency etc during COD gameplay.

I have tried to Reboot R2 as well as Hub 4 several times before conducting Speed Test, with no improvements further.

I would like to know if anyone else is having such issue.
Also a query to the Admins, if this is a known issue or not?
What shall I do?

Fig 1: samKnows_test_01.png

samKnows_test_01.PNG

Fig 2: duma_test_01.png

duma_test_01.PNG

Fig 3: duma_test_02.png

duma_test_02.PNG

Fig 4: duma_test_cong_control_01.png

duma_test_cong_control_01.PNG

Fig 5: duma_test_cong_control_02.png

duma_test_cong_control_02.PNG

• Administrators

Speeds on benchmark can be different as they use different servers, what speeds do you actually get on the device connected to the PC? Also have you put the R2 in the V Hub DMZ or is the V hub in modem mode? You'll need to do one or the other to ensure best performance overall. 

Either way in Bandwidth Settings you should input the speeds you expect to achieve, so in this case ~900 down, ~50 up. Then once you've done that you'll want to select Always for Congestion Control and experiment with percentages until you can get the Ping Under Load graph on Benchmark to look like the Ping Test graph as much as possible.

Hi Fraser,

Thanks for prompt reply!

Just to provide futher info, I got the Gig1 connection just about 2 months now.
Previously, I had 500Down/30Up and I never had these issues.

When my PC is directly connected to VM Hub 4 (with Router Mode), I get +900Down and +50Up consistently. (Please Ref:  Fig 1: samKnows_test_01.png).

Also, I've tried putting R2 in VM Hub 4 in both, Router mode and Modem mode.
My results are, with VM Hub in Modem mode, the speeds are always very fluctuating and inconsistance.

And with VM Hub in Router mode, and R2 put on DMZ, I do get abit better connection most of the time (compared to in VM Hub in Router mode).

I believe you have experienced similar and its a known issue with VM hubs (I do read your posts and replys on forum 😉). I've been Netduma owner for a long time as well as Virginmedia customer and putting R2 in VM Hub DMZ is the best way to go.

I have tried playing with the Congestion Control but if I have to set speed all the way down to 300Down (which means 280Down if congestion control on with ~10% lets say), its pointless for me to use R2 at this point while I'm paying for a 1000Down speed. 

Just to sum it up again, 

Router Firmware: R2 3.2.453
R2 Setup: in VM Hub DMZ
Speed while Direct Connected to VM Hub (Router Mode): +900Down and +50Up
Speed while Connected to R2 (in Hub DMZ): fluctuate between ~300 - 500Down (No Congestion Control)

Could it be that the R2 hardware is not able to handle Gig1 speed as it was never an issue when I had 500Down speed previously?

Regards!

• Administrators

I can see what you're getting with benchmark but using speedtest.net through a PC connected to the R2 what speed do you get?

You should see speeds similar to your PC through the V Hub, it is capable of that. If you're finding a low value is eliminating that bufferbloat then set it to Auto-Enable so that it only enables when gaming. Games uses less than 1Mbps usually and just because there is more bandwidth doesn't mean it will be used so you wouldn't be missing out on the speeds when playing and when not playing you can enjoy your full speeds for downloads etc.

I've tested using speedtest.net and I'm getting way low speed with R2 and Hub 4 and here are my results:

With Netduma R2: ~540Down / ~50Up
With VM Hub 4: ~950Down / ~52Up

Netduma R2 Speed:
speed_test_03_r2.PNG

VM Hub 4 Speed:
speed_test_04_hub04.PNG

Yes, my PC is hardwired to the R2.

Here are the results after disabling QoS:

QoS: Disabled | Protection OFF
Test 1: 771/51
Test 2: 786/51

QoS: Disabled | Protection ON
Test 1: 715/52
Test 2: 736/51

Disable QoS completely did improve the speed.
Hoever, its still unacceptable to be fair.

qos_disabled.PNG

Test 1: 771/51

speed_test_06_protection_qos_off_1.PNG

Test 1: 786/51

speed_test_06_protection_qos_off_2.PNG

Test 1: 715/52

speed_test_06_protection_on_qos_off_1.PNG

Test 1: 736/52

speed_test_06_protection_on_qos_off_2.PNG

• Administrators

While doing the tests are ALL devices connected to the R2 or do you have some connected to the V Hub still? If so could you connect them to the R2 instead or disconnect from the V hub and re-test please?

2 hours ago, Sameer said:

Nope!

All my devices are connected to R2.

Only R2 is connected to the V Hub 4.

Just to double check, have you factory reset the R2 since getting the new line? If not, I'd suggest doing so if possible. It's always a good idea to set the R2 up fresh when it's on a new line.

Give that a try if you haven't already and check if that improves your results.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:04 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Just to double check, have you factory reset the R2 since getting the new line? If not, I'd suggest doing so if possible. It's always a good idea to set the R2 up fresh when it's on a new line.

Give that a try if you haven't already and check if that improves your results.

As you suggested, I've done just that. I factory reset the R2 and did speed test with QoS disabled as well as enabled.

QoS Disabled:
(Speedtest results improved, but no where near 900Down)

speed_test_07_factoryReset.PNG

R2's Connection Benchmark App still showing irregular results.

duma_test_QoS_disabled.PNG

9 hours ago, Sameer said:

As you suggested, I've done just that. I factory reset the R2 and did speed test with QoS disabled as well as enabled.

QoS Disabled:
(Speedtest results improved, but no where near 900Down)

R2's Connection Benchmark App still showing irregular results.

Thanks for this. How many devices do you have connected to the R2 approximately? Can you run another speedtest quickly and take a screenshot of System Information page so we can see the usage/utilisation?

12 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for this. How many devices do you have connected to the R2 approximately? Can you run another speedtest quickly and take a screenshot of System Information page so we can see the usage/utilisation?

I've got 10 - 12 devices, some of them smart devices.
I'm the sole user and I dont share my internet.

During day, I use 2 work laptop and in the evening I use my gaming PC and xbox.

Below are the screenshots as you requested:

Speed Test:

speed_test_08.PNG

R2 Sys Info:

duma_sys_Info.PNG

R2 Device Manager:

duma_devices.PNG

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you do a speed test and then download the log file from the log panel menu :menu once it's complete and post it here please? Then maybe we can see if there might be anything intefering.

Here's the log after running speed test.
I also rebooted the R2 before running speed test.

speed_test_09.PNG

log-1660514606512.txt

11 hours ago, Sameer said:

Here's the log after running speed test.
I also rebooted the R2 before running speed test.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anything in the logs that suggest a problem. The logs are particularly short because the R2 was rebooted beforehand. You could try leaving the R2 running a little longer, and maybe complete a few speed tests. However, if there aren't in problems in the logs from that, I think we may have found the max throughput your R2 can do with your connection.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:29 AM, Netduma Liam said:

You could try leaving the R2 running a little longer, and maybe complete a few speed tests. However, if there aren't in problems in the logs from that, I think we may have found the max throughput your R2 can do with your connection.

Just as you asked, I did speed test today on R2 and the results are same as before.

I've also attached logs and the router's been running since yesterday without reboot.

speed_test_10.PNG

log-1660672224094.txt

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that, could you disable IPv6 in WAN/LAN then re-test and if it's still slow, put your PC in the DMZ then do a speedtest and see if it is higher and then immediately disable the DMZ

like you asked, I disabled IPV6 on WAN & LAN both. I observed slight improvement on the speed.

Enabled DMZ and put my PC on it. No improvement on the speed.

R2: IPV6 - OFF (WAN/LAN)
dmz_off.PNG

Speed Test with IPV6 OFF (WAN/LAN):
speed_test_11_ipv6_off.PNG

Speed Test with IPV6 OFF (WAN/LAN) & PC on DMZ:
speed_test_12_dmz_off.PNG

9 hours ago, Sameer said:

like you asked, I disabled IPV6 on WAN & LAN both. I observed slight improvement on the speed.

Enabled DMZ and put my PC on it. No improvement on the speed.

R2: IPV6 - OFF (WAN/LAN)

Speed Test with IPV6 OFF (WAN/LAN):

Speed Test with IPV6 OFF (WAN/LAN) & PC on DMZ:

Thanks for this, leave the DMZ disabled now.

With IPv6 disabled, could you please now go and disable QoS completely again and check if that improves the speeds?

On 8/17/2022 at 10:16 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for this, leave the DMZ disabled now.

With IPv6 disabled, could you please now go and disable QoS completely again and check if that improves the speeds?

As suggested, I disabled both IPv6 (LAN & WAN) and QoS completely, slight improvement compared to previous.
But still not up to 900Down.

duma_test_ipv6_off.PNG

duma_test_QoS_disabled_2.PNG

speed_test_12_qos_ipv6_off.PNG