Netduma R2: connects and disconnects from internet loop

Chance

Starting last week, my Netduma R2 router started randomly dropping it's internet connection from my modem. I verified my modem was still receiving internet from my ISP when this problem occurred but since the downtime on the Netduma router was only a couple minutes and then started working normally again, I figured it wasn't a big deal. However, fast forward to a couple days ago, this issue happened again but this time my Netduma router never fully reconnected to the internet. What's strange is that the Netduma router connects to the internet for around 15 seconds, disconnects completely right after, and then proceeds to do an automatic restart in attempt to reestablish a connection in a constant loop. The internet and Wi-Fi lights on the Netduma router flash for a bit, the internet light goes out, followed by the Wi-Fi lights over and over. Additionally, since my Netduma router loses internet so quickly, I'm unable to access the dashboard in time to change any setting that may be somehow causing this problem.

To troubleshoot, I first did a standard restart on my Netduma router which did nothing. Next, I did both a standard and factory restart on my modem too but my Netduma router still disconnects from the internet. I then did a factory restart for my Netduma router which did allow me to access the initial setup process and does say the router is detecting an internet connection but once it finishes and brings me to the dashboard, it again disconnects from the internet in a constant loop. I also noticed the firmware version it's running on is v.3.0.205 instead of the newest v.3.2.453 but I can't upgrade the firmware since the internet disconnects and I lose access of the dashboard. Not sure if the outdated firmware is the cause but it's the only potential solution I haven't been able to try yet. Is there a way to update the firmware while offline?

To add further context of my setup, I have a modem supplied by my ISP which goes to a network switch. From my network switch, it splits off in two separate connections. One going to my office with my Netduma Router and the other going to my brother's setup with his own Netgear router. I don't believe having two routers on the same network is the problem since it hasn't been a problem prior but I figured it was worth bringing up just in case. The Netgear router in my brother's setup has been working perfectly fine during all this and connects to the internet no problem. I also tried completely turning off the Netgear router from the network while restarting everything else but that didn't change anything. I've even connected my PC directly to the modem which has up to date firmware and it connects to the internet just fine. I'm positive the problem is my Netduma router since everything else has been operational like usual.

I know this is a lot of information but I figured it was necessary in order to layout everything going on for context. I've tried everything I could possibly think of to resolve this, yet nothing has worked. Hopefully this can be resolved because I've been very pleased with the Netduma R2 router and all the great features it provides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Could you please try disconnecting the R2 from power for at least ten minutes. This allows plenty of time for residual power to drain.

After this, please reconnect it and see if it's able to boot properly.

If not, are you at any point able to access the interface long enough to go to Network Settings, enable remote access to tech support, then click Save?

If so please do try that, I may then be able to access the R2 remotely and get it out of the state it's in.

I am starting to experience the same thing.  My setup is cable modem - R2 (no wifi) - AP.   For me the disconnects only seem to happen while I am sleeping.   All of the network devices are connected to my battery backed UPS.   The first two times, I did not worry about it and rebooted everything by turning off the UPS for 5 minutes.  It just happened last night, I did a little bit of troubleshooting.  I could access the R2 interface, and rebooted R2.  This did not solve the issue.  I rebooted the AP, and this did not solve it.  I connected directly to the modem and had internet.   I reconnected and still did not have internet via R2.  I turned off the UPS for 5 minutes, and everything reconnected a few minutes after rebooting.   It seems that the modem and R2 both have to be rebooted in order to resync.  

• Administrators
1 hour ago, UK_Wildcats_Fans said:

I am starting to experience the same thing.  My setup is cable modem - R2 (no wifi) - AP.   For me the disconnects only seem to happen while I am sleeping.   All of the network devices are connected to my battery backed UPS.   The first two times, I did not worry about it and rebooted everything by turning off the UPS for 5 minutes.  It just happened last night, I did a little bit of troubleshooting.  I could access the R2 interface, and rebooted R2.  This did not solve the issue.  I rebooted the AP, and this did not solve it.  I connected directly to the modem and had internet.   I reconnected and still did not have internet via R2.  I turned off the UPS for 5 minutes, and everything reconnected a few minutes after rebooting.   It seems that the modem and R2 both have to be rebooted in order to resync.  

Is it a pure modem or a modem/router? It's possible you may need to assign a static/reserved IP on the modem for the R2 or give reserved IPs to devices on the R2.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, UK_Wildcats_Fans said:

Netgear CM600 pure modem

On the R2, in LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

21 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

On the R2, in LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

I did a factory reset after I upgraded  with the recent 3.2 firmware.  I am already using the DHCP range of 100-250 and assigned reserved IP (below 2-99) for the all critical devices except the modem.   Do I also need to a reserved IP for the modem now?  

• Administrators

Okay that's fine no worries, is it happening every night? If so before you go to bed could you check your public IP and make a note of it, when you wake up, check to see if you had a disconnection, if you did check the public IP again and make a note of it - has it changed?

9 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum!

Could you please try disconnecting the R2 from power for at least ten minutes. This allows plenty of time for residual power to drain.

After this, please reconnect it and see if it's able to boot properly.

If not, are you at any point able to access the interface long enough to go to Network Settings, enable remote access to tech support, then click Save?

If so please do try that, I may then be able to access the R2 remotely and get it out of the state it's in.

Hello Liam,

Really appreciate the response. I unplugged my Netduma R2 entirely all day yesterday and upon powering it back up today, it still connected and disconnected from the internet in a loop. However, I did do another factory restart for my Netduma R2 and by doing that, it gave me just enough time to go into the network settings, enable remote access, and hit save general. I can also confirm it did properly save once I regained a connection to the dashboard. After doing all this, I did disconnect the ethernet going from my PC to the Netduma R2 so I could access the internet. At the moment, nothing is connected to my Netduma R2 besides my modem. Do I need to reconnect my PC to my Netduma R2 for any further steps like accessing the dashboard again while you have remote access?

Let me know if there's anything else that I need to do on my end.

-Thanks

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Chance said:

Hello Liam,

Really appreciate the response. I unplugged my Netduma R2 entirely all day yesterday and upon powering it back up today, it still connected and disconnected from the internet in a loop. However, I did do another factory restart for my Netduma R2 and by doing that, it gave me just enough time to go into the network settings, enable remote access, and hit save general. I can also confirm it did properly save once I regained a connection to the dashboard. After doing all this, I did disconnect the ethernet going from my PC to the Netduma R2 so I could access the internet. At the moment, nothing is connected to my Netduma R2 besides my modem. Do I need to reconnect my PC to my Netduma R2 for any further steps like accessing the dashboard again while you have remote access?

Let me know if there's anything else that I need to do on my end.

-Thanks

That's great, no need to connect back now, could you PM Liam your public IP (search my ip in Google) please? 

Also if you haven't done so please put the IP the ISP router gives the R2 in the DMZ of the ISP router so we have a direct line of access.

40 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's great, no need to connect back now, could you PM Liam your public IP (search my ip in Google) please? 

Also if you haven't done so please put the IP the ISP router gives the R2 in the DMZ of the ISP router so we have a direct line of access.

Hello Fraser,

Thanks for the quick follow up. I went ahead and sent Liam a PM with both my IPv4 address and enabling DMZ while adding the dumaos as a hosted device within my modem. If there's anything else I need to do on my end for y'all to get access, let me know.

-Thanks

10 hours ago, Chance said:

Hello Fraser,

Thanks for the quick follow up. I went ahead and sent Liam a PM with both my IPv4 address and enabling DMZ while adding the dumaos as a hosted device within my modem. If there's anything else I need to do on my end for y'all to get access, let me know.

-Thanks

Thanks for doing that, I've managed to access the R2 and recover it. You'll notice you need to run through the setup wizard again, you'll also need to upgrade it back to the latest firmware again as it was downgraded in the recovery process. Let us know if you have any further issues.

9 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for doing that, I've managed to access the R2 and recover it. You'll notice you need to run through the setup wizard again, you'll also need to upgrade it back to the latest firmware again as it was downgraded in the recovery process. Let us know if you have any further issues.

Hello Liam,

Great news. My Netduma R2 is now connecting to the internet with no issues and I was able to upgrade it to the latest firmware update. Looks like it's back to being fully operational now. I truly appreciate the support y'all provide over at Netduma. Great products and even better people.

Thank you so much for helping me.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Chance said:

Hello Liam,

Great news. My Netduma R2 is now connecting to the internet with no issues and I was able to upgrade it to the latest firmware update. Looks like it's back to being fully operational now. I truly appreciate the support y'all provide over at Netduma. Great products and even better people.

Thank you so much for helping me.

That's brilliant to hear, thanks for the update!