Netduma R2 behind ASUS RT-AX88U

alan11234

Hello I just purchased the Duma R2 and I am trying to keep my ASUS RT-AX88U as my primary router because of the parental controls it has. I would like to setup my Netduma RT behind that so ti will be IPS/Modem-->>RT-AX88U-->>Netduma R2-->>Gaming PC. I followed a turtorial on how to setup two routers on the same network but it requires me to configure the Netduma routers gateway of to be my RT-AX88U IP address. I do not see where I can set that.

The way it is set not I can get to my RT-AX88U web interface but I cannot not get on to the internet. Is it even possible to set the Netduma R2 this way. The only thing I really want to use it the Geo-Filtering.

• Administrators

You do not need to do whatever it is that tutorial has told you to. Asus LAN port should be connected to the R2 WAN/Internet port. Then copy the WAN IP from the R2 System Information page and put that in the DMZ on the Asus, then you're good to go.

Thanks Fraser it is now working. I do have another question. Is there anyway to get connected to servers faster when setting a lower ping? So when I put my home location in the ocean for instance and put the ping to 60 it takes forever to connect to a game or it never does. If I bump it btween 80-100 it will connect.

So I guess my question is if games never load on lower pings is this router actually doing anything?

• Administrators

Great to hear that! We don't generally recommend that form of Geo-Filtering, use Ping Heatmap and identify where the lowest ping servers are, then use Polygon mode to draw areas around those locations and set Ping Assist to 0, that should force those servers - make sure you do this before you've booted the game.

Hey Fraser, So I set it up this way and tried to get into a game and let it sit for like 15 minutes. I never got into a game. So, one thing I noticed on my game is the NAT type Moderate. So I tried to figure out how to get it open. I have the WAN IP in the DMZ of my ASUS router already. So I just tried to disable UPnP then I was going to Re-enable it. However I re-boot the router and now the interface never loads. It just sits on a red screen with the circle spinning. 

I tried to hold the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds but it did nothing. I also held it down for 30 seconds un-pluged still holding down for 30 seconds plugged it back in still holding it down for 30 seconds but it still did not reset. I does still give me internet access but the Web UI never loads so I cannot turn UPnP back on. 

How can I get this reset and what are the steps to get Open NAT other than just having the WAN IP in my main router DMZ?

• Administrators

Don't do the 30-30-30 reset as that can damage the router, it's also very unlikely a moderate NAT is causing the issue. Clear the browser cache/cookies and see if that allows access. If it does please provide a screenshot of the Geo-Filter page.

• Administrators

Are you playing Warzone? If so can you try rebirth, do you get a game faster with those settings? Fast search should be unticked to keep the servers within your parameters. Could you show a screenshot of how the device has been added to the Geo-Filter?

Yes, I am playing warzone. I also play Rebirth I just tried to get into a game and let it try for 8 minutes it never found one. I deleted the PC from the Geo fileter and re-added it with the steps in the screen shots. Basically, I add my PC then when it says what game I choose Call of Duty.  

2.png

3.png

Settings.png

• Administrators

Try this:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager (if on PC)
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if it works.

• 5 months later...

I have a netduma r2 connected to the LAN port of an asus ax1100. I have the WAN ip put in the dmz of the asus router as instructed. Everything seems to be working as it should except I’m unable to access the asus router settings page from my pc, which is plugged into the r2 by Ethernet. By comparison my laptop CAN access the asus router page when connected to the asus router by Ethernet. I’m assuming I have missed a setting somewhere. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance. 

What was the solution? I was trying to connect my R2 to 2 different routers over the weekend so that I could use the geofilter with them but the geofilter never worked.

I don't think I could access the R2 login at all when I connected the Asus router LAN to R2 WAN. I had the R2's WAN IP (192.168.*.*) in the Asus's DMZ. On a few occasions it killed my internet connection

Which router needs to be connected to the PC? Is there a way to access both with 1 cable? I think I could access both after adding another ethernet from LAN to LAN port but yeah geo filter didn't work at all.

2 hours ago, johnnytran said:

What was the solution? I was trying to connect my R2 to 2 different routers over the weekend so that I could use the geofilter with them but the geofilter never worked.

I don't think I could access the R2 login at all when I connected the Asus router LAN to R2 WAN. I had the R2's WAN IP (192.168.*.*) in the Asus's DMZ. On a few occasions it killed my internet connection

Which router needs to be connected to the PC? Is there a way to access both with 1 cable? I think I could access both after adding another ethernet from LAN to LAN port but yeah geo filter didn't work at all.

When you say Geo-filter didn't work, were some servers appearing as whitelisted so you were getting connected to them despite them being outside your radius? Was it the same server(s) every time? Can you perhaps provide the IDs of the servers you kept getting connected to?

I suspect some servers are whitelisted by mistake for the new game, causing some problems in Geo-filter.

20 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

When you say Geo-filter didn't work, were some servers appearing as whitelisted so you were getting connected to them despite them being outside your radius? Was it the same server(s) every time? Can you perhaps provide the IDs of the servers you kept getting connected to?

I suspect some servers are whitelisted by mistake for the new game, causing some problems in Geo-filter.

The geo filter page loaded but it didn't list any servers, even when launching the game it didn't show any of the white icons. I could connect to matches but nothing popped up on the geo filter page. I'll try again over the weekend

I'm not sure whether this was router lan > r2's wan or router lan > r2's lan. I do recall internet dropped out completely a few times shortly after connecting router lan > r2's wan.

Wouldnt be better to have the R2 as the main router with the Asus connected and have the asus router  use its own networking capabilities for parental controls and wifi and have the gaming pc/console connected directly to the netduma and wifi disabled on the R2? that's how mine is configured. Everything is connected to the AX88U apart from my mac, my linux pc and my XBOX which go directly into the R2.

On 11/5/2022 at 12:30 AM, BIG__DOG said:

Wouldnt be better to have the R2 as the main router with the Asus connected and have the asus router  use its own networking capabilities for parental controls and wifi and have the gaming pc/console connected directly to the netduma and wifi disabled on the R2? that's how mine is configured. Everything is connected to the AX88U apart from my mac, my linux pc and my XBOX which go directly into the R2.

That's how I currently have it running but I wanted to fiddle around with the qos and settings on my other routers whilst using the geo filter

My setup is similar to that. Everything is connected to my asus router either through wifi or Ethernet except my pc. My pc is hardwired to the r2. The geofilter works perfectly for mw2 for example. The only issue I’ve experienced so far is Tuesday morning my r2 no longer had internet connection but the asus did. When I attempted to enter the duma os I got a message along the lines of “this site can’t be reached”. A factory reset solved the problem. Not quite sure what happened but with only one device connected it’s not too much trouble to just redo everything. If it happens again I may have to do a lil more research and find a more permanent solution.