Ping Spikes in Warzone with Congestion Control Setup

BrownStar

So I'll try to be short, sweet and concise here. I am getting ping spikes in Warzone which only started this past weekend and last week I spent a lot of time researching, testing and adjusting settings on my Netduma R2 (3.0.394). These spikes are causing me to literally stutter around rooms, off ledges and rooftops, etc you get the point.

Ping spikes show in Warzone settings menu (steady around 20ms and randomly ramps up to 180 even 250-300 ms for just a second then back down)
Under Network Monitor in my R2, even during a match its only showing my PC using 1mbps or less (Is that normal for anyones experience?)

My R2 settings...

Geofilter off
QoS Auto Setup recommended 50% both upload and download, and I ran the setup with Antispikes set to 0ms
No HybridVPN setup
IPv6 disabled in both LAN and WAN
DNS Override set to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
DHCP Enabled with my PC set to a static IP
UPnP enable (shows DemonwarePortMapping from Warezone)
No Port Forwarding Rules set (I've also tried setting my PC in DMZ to no avail) 

The list of things I've checked on my router, PC, even graphics settings in the game is endless but all signs seems to point to my settings in my R2. Benchmark tests come back with ridiculous ping under load numbers at basically any network speed settings and all variations of Congestion Control.

Literally any feedback or advice would be beneficial at this point.

Update: I have confirmed that it is indeed something in my Netduma R2. I took my ISP modem out of bridge mode, plugged my PC via Ethernet directly into my ISP Modem and the ping spikes went away completely. Played 3 full games without a stutter, lag, spike, nothing.

I thought i m the only one who have this issue.Except my router on 3.0.205 firmware.I have this issue in MW2019 and BO4 on ps4.Also i played Fortnite [xbos series s] a little bit and faced simmilar problems.I have tested LAN and WiFi connections and no difference, ping spikes on both. I thought its servers, now i suspect its R2. I will need to test this games with different router

11 hours ago, BrownStar said:

So I'll try to be short, sweet and concise here. I am getting ping spikes in Warzone which only started this past weekend and last week I spent a lot of time researching, testing and adjusting settings on my Netduma R2 (3.0.394). These spikes are causing me to literally stutter around rooms, off ledges and rooftops, etc you get the point.

Ping spikes show in Warzone settings menu (steady around 20ms and randomly ramps up to 180 even 250-300 ms for just a second then back down)
Under Network Monitor in my R2, even during a match its only showing my PC using 1mbps or less (Is that normal for anyones experience?)

My R2 settings...

Geofilter off
QoS Auto Setup recommended 50% both upload and download, and I ran the setup with Antispikes set to 0ms
No HybridVPN setup
IPv6 disabled in both LAN and WAN
DNS Override set to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
DHCP Enabled with my PC set to a static IP
UPnP enable (shows DemonwarePortMapping from Warezone)
No Port Forwarding Rules set (I've also tried setting my PC in DMZ to no avail) 

The list of things I've checked on my router, PC, even graphics settings in the game is endless but all signs seems to point to my settings in my R2. Benchmark tests come back with ridiculous ping under load numbers at basically any network speed settings and all variations of Congestion Control.

Literally any feedback or advice would be beneficial at this point.

Could you please set the two sliders in Congestion Control to 70% and then select 'Auto-enable'? Check that the DumaOS classified games rule is also enabled.

Could you also please share a screenshot of a completed Connection Benchmark? Temporarily set Congestion Control to 'Always' before running the test.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:14 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Could you please set the two sliders in Congestion Control to 70% and then select 'Auto-enable'? Check that the DumaOS classified games rule is also enabled.

Could you also please share a screenshot of a completed Connection Benchmark? Temporarily set Congestion Control to 'Always' before running the test.

I should also note a few things here just to try to provide as much info as possible. I never get that kind of speed with congestion control set to always, ever. It usually comes back between 30-40mbps. I also have the 1 gig package from my ISP, and before the NetDuma at any given time of day I would regularly and consistently clock 800+ mbps down and 35 up. Since the NetDuma, the highest down I've ever seen is where this test measured, low 600's but again that seems to be a fluke. 

-I have a static Public IP through my ISP

-My ISP does not support IPv6 or at least it's not available to me personally where I live. Hence, I have it disabled on both LAN and WAN 

• Administrators

You need to enter the speeds you expect in Bandwidth settings otherwise QoS will not be as effective, then you can set it to Always and experiment with percentages to see what brings Ping Under Load closer to the Ping Test. Is there any reason you're not using the Geo-Filter? It's a big feature to help you get the lowest ping possible. I would also revert the DNS back, altering DNS is unlikely to have any positive effect.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You need to enter the speeds you expect in Bandwidth settings otherwise QoS will not be as effective, then you can set it to Always and experiment with percentages to see what brings Ping Under Load closer to the Ping Test. Is there any reason you're not using the Geo-Filter? It's a big feature to help you get the lowest ping possible. I would also revert the DNS back, altering DNS is unlikely to have any positive effect.

I set them to my expected speeds but no change. Regardless of what comes back on the benchmark tests I still have the same ping spikes while I’m actually in game on Warzone. 

Ive had this router for about a month and I was using the GeoFilter up until last weekend when these ping spikes started happening so in my many attempts to figure this out, I turned it off. 

The ping spikes occur no matter what lobby I’m in or server I connect to, although the GeoFilter is affective in my server connection, it doesn’t even slow the spikes down so that’s what I’m trying to resolve. I also reverted my DNS to Use Upstream, no change. 

I’m frustrated, sure, but I’m more confused about what is causing these ping spikes and why it only happens when my internet is touted through my NetDuma. Imagine a flat line at 20ms of ping on the live in game ping graph, then it “waves” up to ridiculous ping numbers and comes right back down if that makes sense. 

This is not a picture of mine only because I’m not at home but trying to clarify. Imagine that sequence being around 19-21ms instead of the 45ms shown in this picture and then 5-7 of those bars raise and lower (21ms, 75, 150, 300, 150, 75, back to 21ms). Sometime it even shoots up in the 500-600ms range and it’s constant about every 4-5 seconds

A2737EE1-9041-4011-BC5E-5FE3D07F664B.webp

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

To identify where the issue may lie more, can you enable the Geo-Filter and ping the server there, then when you notice the ping spike in game look at the Geo-Filter, does the ping spike there as well?

I will do when I get home, although again it happens every game all game, I’ll try it. Anything to help you help me sir, thank you

On 2/26/2022 at 11:41 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

To identify where the issue may lie more, can you enable the Geo-Filter and ping the server there, then when you notice the ping spike in game look at the Geo-Filter, does the ping spike there as well?

Ok so I tried this with 2 different PC’s and two different games, obviously both connected to the R2. For both tests I did them before and after a full factory of my ISP’s modem (Vyve Broadband i.e. Northland Communication’s network) and factory reset of the NetDuma R2, put my ISP modem in Bridge Mode(Residential Gateway Disabled in the interface which is a Hitron Coda 4582) and disconnected all other devices off the network entirely.

With the GeoFilter active for Warzone via the “Call of Duty” menu option with my PC set as a PC in Device Manager, the spikes were still present in game but not in the GeoFilter.

My roommates PC with the GeoFilter active, his pc set to Game Console in Device Manager etc. it did ping the Rocket League servers, but the spikes were there and awful at that but Rocket League showed them more as Packet Loss spikes for the most part and did not show the spikes in the GeoFilter. 

Throughout these tests, which I spent essentially my entire Saturday night doing from 3:30pm after work until well after 8pm(thank god for my wonderful roommates patience), I adjusted the sliders in every combination I could come up with both sliders at 10%, 20%, 30% etc all the way to 90% and 100% as well changing each one individually because the major ping spikes seem to come from the Download side. I tried with Traffic Prioritization for Classified Games On/Off, added prioritization for “Games Console” On/Off as well as manually prioritizing specific ports that both Warzone, Rocket League and Epic Games use since that’s what he plays it through. Tried port forwarding as well. I also tried setting Congestion control to Never, Auto and Always with each test setting as well as several tests Disabled completely which made the issue infinitely worse. In fact Disabling Congestion Control completely had THE worst ping/packet loss out of any of the testing done. 

All this to say I wanted to test every single possible combination I could because I am an extremely thorough individual with a background in Computer Science and some Networking, although that is probably irrelevant to you, I’m trying to do everything earthly possible to get this resolved because by the end of the night I ended up unplugging the NetDuma and putting my entire home network back on my ISP’s piece of scrap modem/router combo Hitron and we have not had a single issue since. 

However, I’m not ready to give up just yet, I am going to leave my Hitron as it is and plug the NetDuma into the 4th LAN port after a fresh firmware install and factory reset, set it in DMZ mode and do some testing on my own until I hear back from you. Thanks!

• Administrators

Thank you for the detailed information, usually if the spikes aren't shown on the Geo-Filter but they are in game then it indicates something server side but as you're not getting it direct to the modem it would suggest otherwise. Do let us know the results of your new tests, in the meantime I've sent you a PM so please try that as well. 

• 9 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 12:17 AM, BrownStar said:

Ok so I tried this with 2 different PC’s and two different games, obviously both connected to the R2. For both tests I did them before and after a full factory of my ISP’s modem (Vyve Broadband i.e. Northland Communication’s network) and factory reset of the NetDuma R2, put my ISP modem in Bridge Mode(Residential Gateway Disabled in the interface which is a Hitron Coda 4582) and disconnected all other devices off the network entirely.

With the GeoFilter active for Warzone via the “Call of Duty” menu option with my PC set as a PC in Device Manager, the spikes were still present in game but not in the GeoFilter.

My roommates PC with the GeoFilter active, his pc set to Game Console in Device Manager etc. it did ping the Rocket League servers, but the spikes were there and awful at that but Rocket League showed them more as Packet Loss spikes for the most part and did not show the spikes in the GeoFilter. 

Throughout these tests, which I spent essentially my entire Saturday night doing from 3:30pm after work until well after 8pm(thank god for my wonderful roommates patience), I adjusted the sliders in every combination I could come up with both sliders at 10%, 20%, 30% etc all the way to 90% and 100% as well changing each one individually because the major ping spikes seem to come from the Download side. I tried with Traffic Prioritization for Classified Games On/Off, added prioritization for “Games Console” On/Off as well as manually prioritizing specific ports that both Warzone, Rocket League and Epic Games use since that’s what he plays it through. Tried port forwarding as well. I also tried setting Congestion control to Never, Auto and Always with each test setting as well as several tests Disabled completely which made the issue infinitely worse. In fact Disabling Congestion Control completely had THE worst ping/packet loss out of any of the testing done. 

All this to say I wanted to test every single possible combination I could because I am an extremely thorough individual with a background in Computer Science and some Networking, although that is probably irrelevant to you, I’m trying to do everything earthly possible to get this resolved because by the end of the night I ended up unplugging the NetDuma and putting my entire home network back on my ISP’s piece of scrap modem/router combo Hitron and we have not had a single issue since. 

However, I’m not ready to give up just yet, I am going to leave my Hitron as it is and plug the NetDuma into the 4th LAN port after a fresh firmware install and factory reset, set it in DMZ mode and do some testing on my own until I hear back from you. Thanks!

Did you find any solution because i have the same problem.

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What firmware version are you on currently? Resync the cloud from the Device Manager menu, we did a DPI update which should improve things for you.

Version 3.2.453, after cloud update i need a restart or no?

EDIT: i have some questions. i have my r2 connect to my ISP modem with lan 1 to r2 wan with pppoe, but i have one more router in the kitchen to boost the wifi. i dont know if i connect the kitchen router connect, kitchen router have: (router mode, repeater mode, WISP mode, Client mode, AP mode) what is the correct to connect?

Is better to put r2 wan ip to my ISP modem DMZ?

sorry for bad english

40 minutes ago, Cobrinio said:

Version 3.2.453, after cloud update i need a restart or no?

EDIT: i have some questions. i have my r2 connect to my ISP modem with lan 1 to r2 wan with pppoe, but i have one more router in the kitchen to boost the wifi. i dont know if i connect the kitchen router connect, kitchen router have: (router mode, repeater mode, WISP mode, Client mode, AP mode) what is the correct to connect?

Is better to put r2 wan ip to my ISP modem DMZ?

sorry for bad english

No, you don't need to restart after the cloud update.

I would suggest connecting the kitchen router to the R2, then put the kitchen router into AP mode.

If you have any problems with NAT, it may be a good idea to put the R2 in the DMZ of your ISP modem, but if you're not having any problems you don't need to worry about this.

7 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

No, you don't need to restart after the cloud update.

I would suggest connecting the kitchen router to the R2, then put the kitchen router into AP mode.

If you have any problems with NAT, it may be a good idea to put the R2 in the DMZ of your ISP modem, but if you're not having any problems you don't need to worry about this.

if disable QoS and set bandwidth speeds> network speed> auto detect download/upload is less than speedtest.net , if make connection benchmark from r2 again is different from speedtest.net so what i have to put on set bandwidth speed? btw i pay 80/10 and from speedtest.net i have 78/10

EDIT: from r2 i have 60-69 max download & 10 upload(upload is correct) 

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would suggest setting it to what you pay for or if you only ever get 78 as your maximum speed then set it to that instead. Your max DL on the R2 is that via ethernet or WiFi?

Everything with ethernet speedtest & gaming

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What firmware version are you on currently? Resync the cloud from the Device Manager menu, we did a DPI update which should improve things for you.

Firmware 3.2.453

I did just re-sync, I've gotta switch back from my ISP modem/router to my Motorola MB8600 + R2. Will update shortly.

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is this with QoS active or set to Never for Congestion Control?

When i make set bandwidth speeds>network speed>auto detect from QoS or Connection Benchmark i have QoS never with disable and 100%/100% sliders but i have less result from speedtest.net

EDIT: I have Traffic Prioritization DumaOS Classified Games ON, i have playstation 5, is this ok or you prefer add device>playstation 5>game console? but i dont know what traffic type to put i dont know if my ISP accept apply to WAN or no. btw i am with ethernet on ps5.

On DumaOS Classified Games i have more Upload Packets from Download Packets is this ok?

is normal(default) mean ethernet & gaming/voice mean wifi?

sorry for all this question but i am new and so excited to fix everything.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Cobrinio said:

When i make set bandwidth speeds>network speed>auto detect from QoS or Connection Benchmark i have QoS never with disable and 100%/100% sliders but i have less result from speedtest.net

EDIT: I have Traffic Prioritization DumaOS Classified Games ON, i have playstation 5, is this ok or you prefer add device>playstation 5>game console? but i dont know what traffic type to put i dont know if my ISP accept apply to WAN or no. btw i am with ethernet on ps5.

On DumaOS Classified Games i have more Upload Packets from Download Packets is this ok?

is normal(default) mean ethernet & gaming/voice mean wifi?

sorry for all this question but i am new and so excited to fix everything.

What is the modem/router model the R2 is connected to? Are ALL devices connected to the R2?

Classified Games is fine, use Normal as you're using ethernet (yes gaming/voice is to be used if the device is connected via WiFi), you can enable apply to WAN, if your ISP doesn't support it then it won't give a negative impact. Resync the cloud on the Device Manager then reboot the console, the download/upload packets should close align and you should have a better experience. 

No worries at all, happy to help!