R2 hangs up

Guest Deng

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, Deng said:

Hello @Netduma Adrian,

It is working fine (until it hangs up, now it's ok, takes a few days to hang it up, weeks sometimes).

I will try to do it, sometimes I will need to power-cycle it fast because we need to work :)

When the unit hangs up I lose all internet connection, no matter if wired or wireless and I cannot reach the router, I'll try to ping it next time to see if that works.

I am not using Hybrid VPN so far, using Adblock (but not for the iPhone, wife doesn't like it) and Geofilter.

Okay, if you are losing internet connection completely and can't connect with the unit, wired or wireless, then don't worry and feel free to power cycle when the issue happens.

I'll try to enable some remote logging, so even if you cannot connect to the unit we can try to get the information we need. Please let us know next time the issue happens :)

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, Deng said:

@Netduma Adrian

It died again today at night.

Couldn't ping it , couldn't load the webpage and there was no internet.

Wifi was working (but no internet) so I launched the mobile app, it said something about ubus error 4, log from mobile app is attached.

dumaos_log_210903081150.log 5.13 kB · 0 downloads

Hi @Deng, apologies for the error and thanks for the log, I'm going to double check the info we've got on it.

• Netduma Staff

Hi @Deng, there is something we would like to double check in the logs, so we'll need to replicate the issue one more time.

Could you please reboot your unit, and then let us know the next time the issue happens? We have enabled some more debug options to grab more information about the issue.

Many thanks for your patience.

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, Deng said:

It restarted today by itself (most likely when my provider restarted my modem but I have no way to confirm this) but it's still working.

Hi @Deng, many thanks for letting me know. I'm having a look at the logs your router has generated, to try to see the error, but so far I haven't found anything wrong.
Is it possible that, as you said, this time the reboot was related to your provider and had nothing to do with the r2 hanging up?
Also, do you know roughly at about which time this reboot happened?

@Netduma Adrian

Hey, do not worry about it, just mentioned it because it happened but it's not a problem for me (and tbh could be even cause by the very short power outage - again no way to confirm it but since the modem also restarted it's always a possibility). I'll let you know when R2 hangs up again like in the earlier cases which are far more important for me to solve :)

• Administrators

So the dev has taken a look and we're unable to diagnose the issue remotely, we'd like to get your router back so we can investigate and provide you with a replacement that should hopefully resolve your problem. If you could email [email protected] with a link to this topic and your order number then we can get that sorted for you. 

Hello @Netduma Adrian @Netduma Fraser

I do not really think that the hardware is at fault here but of course we can try the exchange.

Before we start the replacement path - fortunately today it crashed again at night but this time it's different - I am able to connect to the router from the web interface, I gathered some logs for you (truncated so I do not have the exact moment problems started), maybe you have more logs from that night.

I did not powercycle it yet waiting for you, maybe you will have some insight this time.

This time it's strange and different:

- my pc which is connected via LAN doesn't have internet access but is able to connect to the interface just fine

- my phone cannot connect to wifi

- my wife's phone can connect to wifi but no internet

- my laptop can connect to 5g wifi but has no internet, it cannot connect to 2.4g at all

- my pc can connect to wifi and has internet access

- my tv (LAN) could access the internet yesterday evening but there were severe problems with thoroughput/lost packets

Let me know when I can powercycle it or if you want me to test something (like connecting various equipment to lan/wifi) to see what happens in logs.

log-1631596853346.txt

I've said earlier that I guess the problem is somehow connected to the iPhone and the way this router handles it.

Just by looking at the logs it's no longer the guess

Tue Sep 14 07:53:10 2021 daemon.err dnsmasq[2894]: failed to send packet: Resource temporarily unavailable

The problem still persisted^

Tue Sep 14 07:53:13 2021 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan0: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED 
Tue Sep 14 07:53:13 2021 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA IEEE 802.11: disassociated

It worked fine again^

This was the moment my wife left the building with her iPhone.

Now she's back but of course it all works now (until next time I guess).

15 minutes ago, kumarabhinavv9 said:

Can I just get a "Factory reset" option from menu or do I have to press the reset button for 30 sec?

There is a factory reset option from the interface, it's in the three-line menu in the top right of the interface. The pin method is a little more granular though.

If you've got a specific problem, please create a new topic for this and we can help you there.

• Netduma Staff

HI @Deng, many thanks for all the information and logs provided, it is very detailed and helpful to us.

Sorry for having responded before, I'm going to have a look more now into the problem. Btw, good finding about the Iphone!

• Netduma Staff

Hi @Deng, we are still looking into the issue, but we have a couple of questions:

• Have you got IPv6 disabled on the LAN network? You can check this by going to Settings. If it is disabled, could you enable it and let us know if the issue stops happening?
  • Could you let us know which type device has the following MAC Address? "3c:a0:67:f4:b7:41" You might need to check this on Device Manager.

Many thanks in advance!

Hey @Netduma Adrian

- I've enabled IPv6 for LAN now (it was disabled by me previously), that made its own mess in the logs "daemon.err miniupnpd[2606]: try_sendto failed to send 12 packets" (attached) but so far I will keep it enabled (IPv6 that is)

- to try to mitigate the above miniupnpd problem I've changed the channel to 40 (from 36) and width to 40 (from 80) but it did not resolve it, so then I proceeded to disable upnp for now and that was the result:

Tue Sep 14 17:46:44 2021 daemon.err miniupnpd[2606]: Failed to broadcast good-bye notifications

Tue Sep 14 17:46:44 2021 daemon.err miniupnpd[2606]: sendto(udp_shutdown=6): No such device

Tue Sep 14 17:46:44 2021 daemon.notice miniupnpd[2606]: shutting down MiniUPnPd 

Tue Sep 14 17:46:19 2021 daemon.err miniupnpd[2606]: try_sendto failed to send 12 packets

That's most likely because UPnP tab says:

192.168.0.138 Deleted Device 192.168.0.138 9308 9308 UDP

So, the device is offline but miniupnpd did not remove the entry. Of course disabling the upnp solved the error in the logs, I can keep it disabled for now.

- that MAC address belongs to HT-ST5000 SONY soundbar  I've seen how it hammered down DHCP when the connection problem persisted and have some insight:

• maybe it's just a coincidence that it wanted to connect somewhere when there was a problem and SONY is not playing nice when it comes down to trying to refresh the IP lease, if you scroll the logs - after the iPhone disconnected from the network HTST5K started to playing nice
  • or it's not a coincidence at all and there's something inherently wrong in a way iPhone communicates with Chromecast/Spotify that are built-in into that soundbar making a mess in the network, my wife uses it sometimes to listen to the music from phone's Spotify and maybe iPhone tries to keep the connection up even if the soundbar is on standby and Spotify is not used (but not killed) on the iPhone

So far after your post I reserved the IP for the soundbar in the router's DHCP settings (I can also make it static in the soundbar settings if you want me to try it).

I also made the iPhone forget the 5g network and allowed it only to operate in 2.4g (another wild guess as it happens in the night lately when the iPhone is sitting in the bedroom with bad 5g coverage and maybe switching networks back and forth).

Maybe one of these changes will make an impact.

Let me know if you have some thoughts :)

log-1631633608376.txt

• Netduma Staff

Hey @Deng,

Many thanks for your response, its very helpful, let me go through a few points:

21 hours ago, Deng said:

- I've enabled IPv6 for LAN now (it was disabled by me previously), that made its own mess in the logs "daemon.err miniupnpd[2606]: try_sendto failed to send 12 packets" (attached) but so far I will keep it enabled (IPv6 that is)

We don't think this message is a problem, its a warning we are aware of, and it will be fixed in the next firmware release. But shouldn't affect you negatively, so feel free to enable miniupnpd again.

21 hours ago, Deng said:

or it's not a coincidence at all and there's something inherently wrong in a way iPhone communicates with Chromecast/Spotify that are built-in into that soundbar making a mess in the network, my wife uses it sometimes to listen to the music from phone's Spotify and maybe iPhone tries to keep the connection up even if the soundbar is on standby and Spotify is not used (but not killed) on the iPhone

We believe this could be the case. Does your issue happen every time the iphone and the HTST5K interact in some way? I mean, every time they connect, or disconnect, does the issue happen?

21 hours ago, Deng said:

I also made the iPhone forget the 5g network and allowed it only to operate in 2.4g (another wild guess as it happens in the night lately when the iPhone is sitting in the bedroom with bad 5g coverage and maybe switching networks back and forth).

We don't think this could cause the issue, so feel free to reconnect the iPhone to 5g.

So, just to be clear, the next steps we are going to take are:

• We will wait from you to know if the issue happens again. If it happens, does anything specific event trigger the error?
  • Meanwhile, we'll work on replicating that interaction between the iPhone and the soundbar, and we'll investigate if this could be causing any problems.

15 hours ago, Netduma Adrian said:

We believe this could be the case. Does your issue happen every time the iphone and the HTST5K interact in some way? I mean, every time they connect, or disconnect, does the issue happen?

Unfortunately it's more or less random, I cannot replicate the issue, it just happens.

Moreover the last two times it happened at night when we were sleeping.

7 hours ago, Deng said:

Unfortunately it's more or less random, I cannot replicate the issue, it just happens.

Moreover the last two times it happened at night when we were sleeping.

OK thank you, let us know the next time it happens and we can check the remote logs to see if we can get anymore information.

Hello,

it just restarted itself.

EDIT: It also crashed on Sunday but I've had no time to look at it.

After the powercycle on Sunday there was this line:

Sun Sep 19 17:29:52 2021 daemon.info procd: Instance ndhttpd::instance1 s in a crash loop 6 crashes, 0 seconds since last crash

Probably unrelated though.

It still looks like it happens around the time of a lease change, though that could be unrelated.

If you haven't already, could you go to Network Settings -> LAN -> DHCP and set the lease time to 168 hours then save? See if there's more time in-between disconnections after this.