R2 hangs up

Guest Deng

Hello @Netduma Adrian, @Netduma Fraser and @Netduma Liam

Good news (I guess?).

Today, out of the blue it almost died - internet was not available on any of the devices but R2 responded (slugishly but still).

So I logged in and it was very unresponsible but I managed to restart DHCP daemon (I reserved an IP addres for AppleTV 4K), after that there were myriad or kernel warnings and errors and it crashed so I couldn't even connect to the interface.

But after it crashed it restarted some things (including adblocker in the fourth log) and it's alive again, the whole router did not restart - only some processes were killed and started again.

Attached you will find four logs I managed to get, and I really think it will help you pinpoint the issue.

Best regards

Lukas

log-1634892596889.txt log-1634892821676.txt log-1634892729526.txt

log-1634893266760.txt

On 10/22/2021 at 12:41 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Hey @Deng, very interesting!

Thanks for this, I'll send a message to Adrian to make sure he sees this and can take a look!

Sure thing, let me know if there's a need to test something :)

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Deng said:

Just to let you know it hanged up again when trying to back up some movies in Google Photos on an iPhone.

Regards

Thanks Deng, I'll chase up the team and see if they can reproduce it yet. Otherwise we've got new firmwares coming for the R2 soon that patches a lot of small backend things, I suspect that will help with this.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so it hanged up again with the new firmware (3.0.394).

After powercycling it did not work - I couldn't reach the webpage.

I've had to powercycle it 3 times until it worked.

After it started to work there are some interesting entries in the log and QoS lost its settings.

Fri Dec 10 06:27:15 2021 user.debug com.netdumasoftware.qos: No settings file, restoring.
Fri Dec 10 06:27:15 2021 daemon.info procd: Instance ndhttpd::instance1 s in a crash loop 6 crashes, 0 seconds since last crash
Fri Dec 10 06:35:41 2021 kern.info kernel: [ 562.976854] ra = 77fc4460 in libc.so[77f42000+97000]
Fri Dec 10 06:35:41 2021 kern.info kernel: [ 562.966578] epc = 77fb8c20 in libc.so[77f42000+97000]
Fri Dec 10 06:35:41 2021 kern.info kernel: [ 562.950359] do_page_fault(): sending SIGSEGV to sh for invalid read access from 000311a4

Probably unrelated but still :)

Regards

log-1639114642628.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I've bought myself an iphone and can replicate this issue every time.

IOS 15.2

Google Photos is installed and set to back up the camera roll with the original file quality.

Camera is set to High Efficiency format without the ProRes/ProRAW.

Video is set to 4k60p with Dolby Vision

Capture a movie - 4k60p/HDR - 1 minute is pretty much enough.

The moment you open up the Google Photos app it starts to upload the movie to the Google cloud.
The moment it does - wifi network goes to the crawl most of the time hanging up the router after a dozen of seconds or so. Took me four reboots to upload such video completely.

Let me know if I can help you with testing the issue somehow.

Regards
Lukas

17 hours ago, Deng said:

Ok, so I've bought myself an iphone and can replicate this issue every time.

IOS 15.2

Google Photos is installed and set to back up the camera roll with the original file quality.

Camera is set to High Efficiency format without the ProRes/ProRAW.

Video is set to 4k60p with Dolby Vision

Capture a movie - 4k60p/HDR - 1 minute is pretty much enough.

The moment you open up the Google Photos app it starts to upload the movie to the Google cloud.
The moment it does - wifi network goes to the crawl most of the time hanging up the router after a dozen of seconds or so. Took me four reboots to upload such video completely.

Let me know if I can help you with testing the issue somehow.

Regards
Lukas

Thank you for these steps, I've passed these on to the team and we'll see if we can replicate this internally. Are there any log entries when you replicate this issue? If there are, go ahead and send them over as that may be helpful too!

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Deng said:

So, have you looked at it by any chance? :)

I already unplugged R2 some time ago but I can connect it again to test things if you want to.

Regards
Lukasz

It's hard to say whether it's fixed or not, but we've fixed a few issues pertaining to device recognition with our beta testers. All going well, we can build these fixes into a firmware and the next R2 firmware should resolve your issues.