XR500 slow WIRED speeds

Hello

I bought an XR500 router and after setup everything ran beautifully. About a week later, my internet speeds were cut in half. I pay for 300 down 20 up, I'm lucky to get 150 down and 5 up. I have tried just about everything. Turning off QoS, setting Anti Bufferbloat to never, setting bandwidth allocations. None of it works. When I connect directly to my modem, I get my full speeds. I never had this issue with my previous router, Nighthawk R6 (R8000)

Notes: Ping via PingPlotter shows a heavily congested line. WiFi speeds work great.

Any help or insight would be appreciated, else I'm going to have to return it and try a different model/brand.

Welcome to the forum!

So wireless devices are getting full speeds? 

How did you disable QoS? I'd suggest doing this from the three-line menu in Congestion Control.

Have you tried using a different ethernet cable for the wired device suffering from slow speeds?

On 6/14/2021 at 6:24 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum!

So wireless devices are getting full speeds? 

How did you disable QoS? I'd suggest doing this from the three-line menu in Congestion Control.

Have you tried using a different ethernet cable for the wired device suffering from slow speeds?

Wireless devices are getting full speeds, yes. I switched to WiFi on my desktop and all my connection issues disappeared. Yes I've tried several Ethernet cables, all Cat7. As for QoS, I disabled it from the Anti-Bufferbloat menu on the QoS menu page.

**As a side note, when re-applying QoS it stays on the "Applying settings..." screen infinitely. I have to refresh the page to continue changing settings.

• Administrators

Very odd WiFi is fine and ethernet isn't. Have you tried all the ethernet ports to see if it is the same? Can you go to the Device Manager, click the :menu icon and select table view, then take a screenshot and post it here please

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Very odd WiFi is fine and ethernet isn't. Have you tried all the ethernet ports to see if it is the same? Can you go to the Device Manager, click the :menu icon and select table view, then take a screenshot and post it here please

Yes, I've tried all 4 ports. Same issue.

Screenshot_10.png

On 6/16/2021 at 6:18 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Everything seems fine there. When you first noticed the issue had you made any changes on/with the router or the devices themselves?

No, it just happened randomly. When I first set it up, everything ran PERFECT.

• Administrators

Good idea above, go with a reset, don't change any settings after the reset and see if the speeds are what you would expect. Then start making your normal changes and see if the speeds change at any point.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Good idea above, go with a reset, don't change any settings after the reset and see if the speeds are what you would expect. Then start making your normal changes and see if the speeds change at any point.

I have a 400mbps download 25 upload but always get more then that what would be best settings for it? Congestion control settings and qos and all should I disable qos since I have 400mbps dl and 25 ul?

On 6/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

But can get 500 or more depending on day but ul always stays around 22 to 25

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, ryekye said:

But can get 500 or more depending on day but ul always stays around 22 to 25

I would recommend setting your bandwidth as the average of what you normally get so if you normally get 450 but only sometimes get 500 then go with 450. You can still benefit from QoS, start with 70% download/upload and see how you go from there.

34 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would recommend setting your bandwidth as the average of what you normally get so if you normally get 450 but only sometimes get 500 then go with 450. You can still benefit from QoS, start with 70% download/upload and see how you go from there.

Ok ill give that a shot and auto or always on on the mode?

41 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

And can u somehow let me know when another beta comes out for the xr500 I'm on current beta so far

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Plus I have about 15 to 20 devices on at a time so figuring out the best settings for their streaming and mobile games and my pc and Xbox to be evened out

• Administrators
8 hours ago, ryekye said:

Plus I have about 15 to 20 devices on at a time so figuring out the best settings for their streaming and mobile games and my pc and Xbox to be evened out

I'd go Always for testing, once you find what works best you can switch to Auto-enable if preferred. 70% is a very good starting point, see if any devices lag/buffer when all being used at the same time, if they don't then you've got a good value. We don't give out any ETAs on updates but we're working on it!

What I usually do on a overprovisioned line is simply put in what you usually get. Then set your ABB sliders below your contract speed. That way you can benefit off it when you're not gaming and run QoS when you are gaming.

5 hours ago, Bert said:

What I usually do on a overprovisioned line is simply put in what you usually get. Then set your ABB sliders below your contract speed. That way you can benefit off it when you're not gaming and run QoS when you are gaming.

I'll try both

5 hours ago, Bert said:

Thanks for that ill try it

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd go Always for testing, once you find what works best you can switch to Auto-enable if preferred. 70% is a very good starting point, see if any devices lag/buffer when all being used at the same time, if they don't then you've got a good value. We don't give out any ETAs on updates but we're working on it!

Ok sounds good thank u

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Also my isp does have ipv6 should I have it on or off for now?

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, ryekye said:

Also my isp does have ipv6 should I have it on or off for now?

It doesn't matter too much but supposedly if you have an Xbox it can improve the connection so up to you really.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It doesn't matter too much but supposedly if you have an Xbox it can improve the connection so up to you really.

I guess for now ill disable it and see if there's any difference running tests on both enabled and not thank you ill try the Always on for bufferbloat too thanks

• 1 year later...

I'm back!! Ended up putting the router away for a while and kept using my old one. I pulled it back out, and I have the same issues. I recently upgraded my internet to 1Gbps down, 40Mbps up. My old router can't handle gig speeds, so I'm using the XR500 now. When connected directly to the modem, I get my advertised speeds. When the router is plugged in, I top out at 500-600Mbps with QoS turned off. With QoS turned on, I get 300-400Mbps. Wifi devices are affected as well. All Ethernet cables are Cat 5e or 6. I called my ISP and they sent a tech, and confirmed I'm getting the correct speeds, so the issue lies with the router. It has been updated, and performed several factory restores to try to solve the issue. Any ideas??

How was the update performed and did you use the rear pin or the reset in the UI?

did you by any chance use a saved profile config or did you set up as new insuring you added the expected speeds?