Verizon FIOS Gigabyte Internet & QOS

Wayne

Would COD run better with or without QOS enabled with speeds of 940/880, do speeds those high get congested? Or am I better off running QOS which lowers both my download and upload dramatically

• Administrators

It's entirely up to you really. With speeds that high it is harder to get congested, however, if you ever do a download it will always try and max out the connection, whatever the speeds you have and so that will cause congestion. Try both and see which you prefer

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's entirely up to you really. With speeds that high it is harder to get congested, however, if you ever do a download it will always try and max out the connection, whatever the speeds you have and so that will cause congestion. Try both and see which you prefer

i know the duma os connection benchmark isnt accurate and all the way up to standards yet, is there any eta on the connection benchmark tool?

using the tool i've found running qos disabled I have around 2 less ping and all of the numbers are very very very close to eachother, as where QOS on my average will be 12, download 13, upload 15, idle 12

is there a way to lower my jitter?

edit: ping plotter, qos off, saturated (3 twitch streams open, dslreports test and dumaos connection test simultaneously
@Netduma Fraser

edit 2: how would i traffic prioritize with qos off? i would like the same as picture 3

Screenshot_2021-05-09 Connection Benchmark - DumaOS.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_1.png

• Administrators

On the R2 it is pretty good actually, almost there I would say, other than speeds sometimes not reporting correctly as you can see there. What QoS settings was that using? We usually recommend people try a percentage, do a test, rinse repeat until they find the best results, perhaps for you it isn't using it given your speeds.

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

On the R2 it is pretty good actually, almost there I would say, other than speeds sometimes not reporting correctly as you can see there. What QoS settings was that using? We usually recommend people try a percentage, do a test, rinse repeat until they find the best results, perhaps for you it isn't using it given your speeds.

That was QOS Disabled.

When I have QOS Enabled the best I found for me was 34% Download 9% Upload on QOS but in the connection I was getting above 13 ping + on everything (download idle upload avaerage)

Is there a way I can lower my jitter?

Also, now that my QOS is disabled, is there a way I can traffic prioritize?

i have the same internet provider and package, i have my qos on. you need to decide what gets priority, the only thing i have connected to my internet is my computer and my xbox so my settings are the best for gaming, but if i had other people connected to it and multiple wifi devices then the connection will not be good for them. i have a 2nd internet provider (Spectrum 400mb package) for the rest of the house and family members to connect to

i have my congestion control set to always and 70/70

traffic prioritization - i have duma os classified games disable, work at home disabled and i added my xbox series x with only port 3074 tcp/udp

11 hours ago, Wayne said:

That was QOS Disabled.

When I have QOS Enabled the best I found for me was 34% Download 9% Upload on QOS but in the connection I was getting above 13 ping + on everything (download idle upload avaerage)

Is there a way I can lower my jitter?

Also, now that my QOS is disabled, is there a way I can traffic prioritize?

Your jitter is very low according to your Connection Benchmark results so I don't think it'd be possible to get it much lower than that, but if it does creep up then this usually suggests local congestion, so using QoS would be the solution to this.

You won't be able to use Traffic Prioritisation with QoS fully disabled unfortunately.

On 5/9/2021 at 7:30 PM, TODDzillaInLA said:

i have the same internet provider and package, i have my qos on. you need to decide what gets priority, the only thing i have connected to my internet is my computer and my xbox so my settings are the best for gaming, but if i had other people connected to it and multiple wifi devices then the connection will not be good for them. i have a 2nd internet provider (Spectrum 400mb package) for the rest of the house and family members to connect to

i have my congestion control set to always and 70/70

traffic prioritization - i have duma os classified games disable, work at home disabled and i added my xbox series x with only port 3074 tcp/udp

Share excess enabled or disabled?

If you have symmetrical gigabit connections you might as well turn QoS off as it will do almost nothing for you if you have just a PC and an Xbox connected.

Also because FTTH fiber connections are generally not so sensitive to bufferbloat. If anything, turn ABB off, turn on traffic priority que and leave share excess enabled. I would actually try turning off QoS entirely and see how that plays.

Unless your ISP has capacity problems and you struggle with it's bandwidth. But you're basicly connected at LAN speed.

13 hours ago, Bert said:

If you have symmetrical gigabit connections you might as well turn QoS off as it will do almost nothing for you if you have just a PC and an Xbox connected.

Also because FTTH fiber connections are generally not so sensitive to bufferbloat. If anything, turn ABB off, turn on traffic priority que and leave share excess enabled. I would actually try turning off QoS entirely and see how that plays.

Unless your ISP has capacity problems and you struggle with it's bandwidth. But you're basicly connected at LAN speed.

I got Verizon. Pretty sure it’s hybrid fiber.

cus I got tv and internet