Network Optimization (R2)

Wayne

I have preordered the Netduma R2, while waiting for the pre-order I have also upgraded my interenet speed from 100mbs download/100mbs upload to 1000mbs download/1000mbs upload. (Verizon Fios)

I see "KIRNEILL" offers "network optimization" for "duma os" products only.
"- INTERNET OPTIMIZATION- 200$ - Increase Reliability and Performance of your Network. This can be for Gaming, WIFI, Remote Work (Work From Home) as Internet Optimizations are tuned to your personal preferences.

**NOTE**-
- WE RECOMMEND ADVANCED ROUTERS THAT IS *NOT* THE DEFAULT ISP ROUTER
- PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU NEED TO KNOW WHICH ROUTER WILL PROVIDE THE BEST VALUE IN YOUR BUDGET!
a NETDUMA R2 (150$), XR500 (250$), or XR1000(350$) before you obtain an optimization. We do NOT do Internet Optimizations on DEFAULT ROUTERS* "

Is this something that is reccommended / worth paying for, or is it something I can do myself and invest the $200 dollars elsewhere?

• Administrators

We are in contact with KIRNEILL and think he is a great guy! I know he has done optimizations for a lot of pros so he obviously comes highly recommended from them. Of course you do not need to use his services and you can do this yourself with testing and trial & error to see what works best you.

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We are in contact with KIRNEILL and think he is a great guy! I know he has done optimizations for a lot of pros so he obviously comes highly recommended from them. Of course you do not need to use his services and you can do this yourself with testing and trial & error to see what works best you.

KIRNEILL is nothing less than amazing, i'm very fimiliar with him and his company Sense of Quality, he has done optimizations for every single warzone player that has won a tournament besides 1 (not including majority of cdl league players) that alone says something!

I guess the question is how important is network optimization if you are not playing on a 'tournament' level but more 'competitive' level? Is it something that is noticeable? Is it that much of an advantage?

also why your here are pre-orders still expected to be deleivered the last week of feb?

• Administrators

That's very subjective and will differ for each person. If you are competitive then I think you would still want the best connection regardless of whether you're playing for money or not, especially if you're playing for rank or KD. You can achieve it on your own, it just may take more time to fine tune.

Basically over Xmas and New Year we had a massive spike in orders causing us to sell out. More stock was already on the way (by boat) but by the time that it arrived to the UK a combination of Brexit and COVID was causing chaos at the border/ports. The ship therefore decided to continue their deliveries to other countries and come back to the UK after when things have hopefully settled down. This caused a delay of around 20 days, making the new estimate for arrival in the UK at the end of February. Once they arrive we will then send out routers on a first ordered first served basis.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The question here for me is - WHY can a ThirdParty-Person achieve so amazing optimization of YOUR products, when you are the developers!?!?!?

To buy a HighEnd-"Gaming-Router" for 200+ Dollars and invest another 200 Dollars to get the "Product" working "as it should" - is in my opinion - very sad cuz it is unnecessary moneymaking....

I stick to my Netduma and i like it (Geo-Filter) but i think the 200 Dollars was not for a Gaming-Router - it was for a "You-Must-Test-And-Tweak-New-Every-Day"-Router...

So plz (@Developers) implement Kirneill-Settings in Firmware OR make a Guide to achieve Kirneill-Settings (How-to effective Try and Error every NECESSARY Setting) - The Persons who are Kirneill-Tweaked already - dont have to change the settings every day.. They setup the settings  ONCE and are good to go... plz make a Guide!!!

19 minutes ago, shiddy said:

The question here for me is - WHY can a ThirdParty-Person achieve so amazing optimization of YOUR products, when you are the developers!?!?!?

To buy a HighEnd-"Gaming-Router" for 200+ Dollars and invest another 200 Dollars to get the "Product" working "as it should" - is in my opinion - very sad cuz it is unnecessary moneymaking....

I stick to my Netduma and i like it (Geo-Filter) but i think the 200 Dollars was not for a Gaming-Router - it was for a "You-Must-Test-And-Tweak-New-Every-Day"-Router...

So plz (@Developers) implement Kirneill-Settings in Firmware OR make a Guide to achieve Kirneill-Settings (How-to effective Try and Error every NECESSARY Setting) - The Persons who are Kirneill-Tweaked already - dont have to change the settings every day.. They setup the settings  ONCE and are good to go... plz make a Guide!!!

I think that Kirneill can achieve such amazing optimization of the product is because of the tools the product offers, network optimization is different for every person, what works for you may not necessarily work for the next person, and I think that's why it's not as easy as just making a one setting works for all guide, as nice as it sounds.

Kirneill has 1000's and 1000's of hours into his craft, your basically paying for his knowledge.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, shiddy said:

You don't need to purchase his services at all and it certainly isn't required. Most people find the settings they like and then leave it as is from then on out. Settings will not be the same for every person, if that was the case there would be no customization at all. The reason he charges that amount is because I imagine he is very hands on and does the trial and error for you.

Would never pay somebody to setup your networking. Learn your preferences, adjust accordingly and make micro adjustments as needed. Gaming specifically has a few points of which is different amongst players, server ping based on players home location, isp setup both in and outside of your control, your lan setup and qos.

There's so much more than this aswell as these are some of the main points. If you choose to learn yourself, its so valuable that any device you use for networking you can apply that knowledge. 

13 hours ago, shiddy said:

But yor have MORE knowledge - you develope the firmware etc...

So plz explain how to find best settings... Tryed to fine tune more than 2 Months - every two weeks i start from scratch... 

Why are you starting from scratch ever so often, is there a problem with your connection?

6 hours ago, Newfie said:

Why are you starting from scratch ever so often, is there a problem with your connection?

The Problem is that the Netduma R2 is not consitent... Even the Settings are the same - every 2 weeks icneet a factory reset to get it work "better" than before - even if settings where the same...

Sometimes after clean reset - NAT open work if i put PS4 in Netduma DMZ - sometimes i have to manually add 3074 to port forwarding

14 hours ago, digz_au said:

Would never pay somebody to setup your networking. Learn your preferences, adjust accordingly and make micro adjustments as needed. Gaming specifically has a few points of which is different amongst players, server ping based on players home location, isp setup both in and outside of your control, your lan setup and qos.

There's so much more than this aswell as these are some of the main points. If you choose to learn yourself, its so valuable that any device you use for networking you can apply that knowledge. 

Yep but for me (Mainly Warzone and Cold War) - a week or 2 i got good hit detection and then suddenly it becam bad - after resetting and apply same settings - hit detections is good again - for next 2 weeks.

Also i restarting every time i game my Modem to get new DSL-Sync

• Administrators

Here are my suggestions: 

Congestion Control

1. Run a Connection Benchmark (CB) test
  2. Set Congestion Control (CC) to Always
  3. Change the percentages on CC
  4. Re-do the Connection Benchmark test
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you find the percentage that lowers the Ping Under Load results as much as possible on CB.

Geo-Filter

1. Ping the game you want to play on Ping Heatmap
  2. Find the lowest ping servers - regardless of where they are located
  3. On the Geo-Filter draw Polygons around these areas
  4. Ensure strict mode is enabled and Ping Assist is set to 0

By doing this you will ensure that a) Local congestion is not an issue & b) You're connecting to the best servers.

Do keep in mind that there are no 'perfect' settings that will allow you to stomp on people all day long. There are variables outside of your control so I would stick with these settings rather than changing them frequently.

3 hours ago, shiddy said:

Yep but for me (Mainly Warzone and Cold War) - a week or 2 i got good hit detection and then suddenly it becam bad - after resetting and apply same settings - hit detections is good again - for next 2 weeks.

Also i restarting every time i game my Modem to get new DSL-Sync

Are you U.K. based?

if so I would not turn off your modem as the Dslam will see constant disconnects as an issue and will adjust your line which can result in more latency as well as a drop in throughput. 

4 hours ago, Newfie said:

Are you U.K. based?

if so I would not turn off your modem as the Dslam will see constant disconnects as an issue and will adjust your line which can result in more latency as well as a drop in throughput. 

Germany, fresh dsl sync is placebo here, but i hope that it will be better than worser. Cant compare/measure/bench correctly...

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Here are my suggestions: 

Congestion Control

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you find the percentage that lowers the Ping Under Load results as much as possible on CB.

Geo-Filter

By doing this you will ensure that a) Local congestion is not an issue & b) You're connecting to the best servers.

Do keep in mind that there are no 'perfect' settings that will allow you to stomp on people all day long. There are variables outside of your control so I would stick with these settings rather than changing them frequently.

My ping under load is already on point of the other 2 strings (nearly 3 perfect lines, with 0,18ms jitter)

Geofiltering for CoD is not as good...

Sometimes with same "perfect" settings, my hit detection is good as hell and then it will be like i am behind (1st shoot 1st die)

Noticed it not only on CoD, also on QC, CSGO, CS1.6 - few games godlike - few games really dogshit...

• Administrators

What do you mean regarding the Geo-Filter? That's where the other variables come in so I wouldn't change your settings so frequently as it sounds like they're dialed in for QoS. If you have a particularly bad game then use the Geo-Filter to force a different server.

1 hour ago, shiddy said:

Germany, fresh dsl sync is placebo here, but i hope that it will be better than worser. Cant compare/measure/bench correctly...

Not sure if Germany dsl uses DLM profiles like the UK. For cod you want servers with an average ping of 25 to 40ms as it's the sweet spot. 

On 2/18/2021 at 12:43 AM, digz_au said:

Not sure if Germany dsl uses DLM profiles like the UK. For cod you want servers with an average ping of 25 to 40ms as it's the sweet spot. 

VDSL uses this profiles in Germany too. Unfortunately the internet is dog shit in most areas.

@shiddyYou don't need to restart your modem. Just restart your router and you get a fresh connection.

• 3 weeks later...

@shiddy have you been on qos? I found it inconsistent with qos and decided to turn it off. Been months with no problem. Everything has been consistent as ever. For coldwar specifically, having qos is very inconsistent. Have been like thise since black ops game. 

On 2/17/2021 at 12:19 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Here are my suggestions: 

Congestion Control

Geo-Filter

This is great info!  This info should be front an center, I recommend there be a document listing more detail steps in optimizing your network using this router.  It will sell more routers.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, zaria said:

This is great info!  This info should be front an center, I recommend there be a document listing more detail steps in optimizing your network using this router.  It will sell more routers.

Thanks for the feedback! We will be updating our knowledge base for 3.0 so there will be useful information like this there.