Xbox Lowering my Ping/Latency....

11 hours ago, greengrow said:

well it I mean when the elgato app is open it's only flucating by about 3 or 4ms.  when it's normal and I'm playing a game not streaming it seems like it's at 1ms ping or so.  everything else sky rockets when I stream.  the elgato app had maybe a little to do with it but I don't think it was the main problem.

Could you please provide a screenshot/description of your QoS configuration? I'm hoping we can make some adjustments to stop the livestream having such an effect on your gameplay.

10 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Could you please provide a screenshot/description of your QoS configuration? I'm hoping we can make some adjustments to stop the livestream having such an effect on your gameplay.

absolutely, and I really appreciate all the really great support and insights. 

here they are:

Qos5.png

QoS4.png

QoS 3.png

QoS 2.png

QoS 1.png

Whatever "Performance Mode" in streamlabs is seems to help.  It disables the video preview of your stream unfortunately tho.  noticeably flatter but still some major spikes in there when streamining or the app is open. 

In the end it could be my old HP envy.  I've got a decent CPU, but a horrible GPU right now. 

• Administrators

Well the first thing I've noticed which I think will have a significant impact is your upload Congestion Control percentage, it is far too high for it to efficiently eliminate lag and considering streaming uses upload this should be lower. I'd recommend lowering to 70% to start with and see how you get on

31 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Well the first thing I've noticed which I think will have a significant impact is your upload Congestion Control percentage, it is far too high for it to efficiently eliminate lag and considering streaming uses upload this should be lower. I'd recommend lowering to 70% to start with and see how you get on

PingPlotter after changing upload to 70%

xbox.PNG

• Administrators
14 hours ago, greengrow said:

PingPlotter after changing upload to 70%

Okay I think you'll need to experiment with the percentages and see what lowers it the most, also do a test pinging an internet address like Google and see if it has the same effect

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay I think you'll need to experiment with the percentages and see what lowers it the most, also do a test pinging an internet address like Google and see if it has the same effect

here's google:

google.png

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So it is better there, either you've found better percentages or the local test results are not affecting it as much. Do you have armor enabled?

armor is not enabled.  Should it be?

That was without streaming.

Now I'm definitely not positive but I think that what's causing the spikes is either my webcam or the webcam software I use Xsplit Vcam.   It removes the background without needing a green screen.  They seem like really high CPU/GPU processes.   when I use just the webcam without vcam the spikes go away a bit.  I'll post some examples shortly.

• Administrators

Interesting, do you have an Nvidia graphics card? If so the Nvidia broadcasting app might be less intensive for you and it can remove the background, some other cool features as well actually https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/broadcasting/broadcast-app/ keep us posted!

18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Interesting, do you have an Nvidia graphics card? If so the Nvidia broadcasting app might be less intensive for you and it can remove the background, some other cool features as well actually https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/broadcasting/broadcast-app/ keep us posted!

No I do not, not yet.  Soon.  I currently have a horrible GPU. 

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, greengrow said:

No I do not, not yet.  Soon.  I currently have a horrible GPU. 

Perhaps that's part of the issue as well, if you're relying on mainly the CPU to do everything at once

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really at a loss.  Even if I leave everything alone my xbox will stop recognizing my IPv6.  Lately it's been saying moderate when the IPv6 stops being recognized.  I restarted my xbox and it fixed it but it's still confusing as to why this continually happens.  I hate having to restart my router every single day.

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, greengrow said:

I'm really at a loss.  Even if I leave everything alone my xbox will stop recognizing my IPv6.  Lately it's been saying moderate when the IPv6 stops being recognized.  I restarted my xbox and it fixed it but it's still confusing as to why this continually happens.  I hate having to restart my router every single day.

Are other devices still using IPv6 when the Xbox isn't?

30 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are other devices still using IPv6 when the Xbox isn't?

I'm not sure.  The IPv6 is usually still listed under the IPv6 settings but sometimes it's not.  It's very random.

33 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Enable IPv6 in settings then reboot from the interface and see if that helps to preserve the settings and keep it enabled for the console

that's generally what I do.  I restarted my console and it fixed it once.  but sometimes I have to go into the settings > reboot section and reboot the entire internet connection.

On the pingplotter plots, you're pinging your xbox from the home network. There is no way that you should see a latency variation like that on 1Gbit local connections. This should be <1ms unless you have figured out a way to transfer 1Gbit / 120 MB/s through that link to the xbox.

Also, since you are plugged into a switch. This traffic should never reach the router so really QoS is not in play here. The ICMP ping arrives at the switch, reads the switch routing table and then goes straight to the xbox. Actually the bad quality stream should not affect gameplay either.

If you have issues when pinging your Xbox at 192.168.1.3 it's either on the end of your laptop or at the Xbox. But since you say it's only happening with these streaming programs running you are most likely simply needing a faster computer. File transfers, video encoding streaming etc all take CPU cycles, and I/O tasks and network transfers do so as well.

I would suggest starting your streaming app, press ctrl+alt+del, go to your task manager and look at system resources, ie if 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, greengrow said:

that's generally what I do.  I restarted my console and it fixed it once.  but sometimes I have to go into the settings > reboot section and reboot the entire internet connection.

How often would you say the IPv6 connection lasts before it goes off exactly?

14 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How often would you say the IPv6 connection lasts before it goes off exactly?

It turns off every time I turn on geo-filter pretty much.  Once Geo-filtering is on my xbox no longer says IPv4 & IPv6.  I restarted my xbox and it made the IPv6 show back up.  BUT this leads to a huge problem.  Since I'm using xbox party chat whenever I want to party up with a friend I have to turn off geo-filtering or it won't connect us.   Ever.   Even if they're allowed.  So, restarting wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't need to also be host and use party chat.  I have to host games because my friends net is horrible atm.  But that's just in the scenario of me playing with other people.  basically if I play with any other person I can't use geo-filtering which makes the feature useless.  I've struggled getting it to work right for months now and I think I'm probably just going to get a different router since this one blows.