Xbox Lowering my Ping/Latency....

Something happened where my router reset to the point of having all the tutorials pop back up and now the geo-filter is not working at all.  Not sure what to do. rebooted.  flushed the geo cloud and rebooted it.  rebooted console.  not sure what's going on.

testtest.png

Does it matter if your QoS Upload and Download speed are different percentages or is it preferred to keep it at the default 70/70?  The Auto-Config wants to take my 470mbs download speed down to 51percent and leave my upload speed 27mbs (about) at 98percent.  Now the question is how do I use the connection benchmark tool properly to get the bets results since I'm still occasionally experiencing packet loss in-game.   Getting my ping down has been a struggle.  If I make the geo-filter around my state and the surrounding areas it's almost as if it's forcing me into a higher ping around 80ms. 

I have ping assist at 25.  here's a screen cap of the details:

here are three connection benchmark tests I ran back to back at the recommended auto-config setting of 52/86:

test3.PNG

test 2.PNG

test1.PNG

and then the final test will be 70/70:

7070 3.PNG

7070 2.PNG

7070.PNG

The results vary so much that I'm not sure what to adjust.  The auto-config settings seem better but I'm not sure it's confusing.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, greengrow said:

Does it matter if your QoS Upload and Download speed are different percentages or is it preferred to keep it at the default 70/70?  The Auto-Config wants to take my 470mbs download speed down to 51percent and leave my upload speed 27mbs (about) at 98percent.  Now the question is how do I use the connection benchmark tool properly to get the bets results since I'm still occasionally experiencing packet loss in-game.   Getting my ping down has been a struggle.  If I make the geo-filter around my state and the surrounding areas it's almost as if it's forcing me into a higher ping around 80ms. 

I have ping assist at 25.  here's a screen cap of the details:

here are three connection benchmark tests I ran back to back at the recommended auto-config setting of 52/86:

and then the final test will be 70/70:

The results vary so much that I'm not sure what to adjust.  The auto-config settings seem better but I'm not sure it's confusing.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

No they don't need to be the same, it's whatever works best for your particular connection. I would actually suggest going with the auto config suggested percentage on this one, your results there are the best. I'd suggest putting Ping Assist on 0 and retrying the game. If it continues to put you on higher ping servers please take a screenshot of that happening on the Geo-Filter.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still running into consistency issues and geo-filtering issues.  Again, here I'm trying to filter and play the miami server ping assist is at zero.  I've restarted my console twice.  and yet, I'm in ohio.  I sorta think Geo-filtering is broken or something because my IPv6 will just magically stop working and I'll have to reset it up.  really does feel almost pointless without a vpn.  So why is it connecting to servers outside of the filter?  where's the server that I'm connected to if it's not the ohio server?

why.PNG

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have fast search enabled in the Geo-Filter Map options? 

No Sir.

Strict Mode is the only option selected in the side panel other than I changed it from kilometers to miles.

12 hours ago, greengrow said:

No Sir.

Strict Mode is the only option selected in the side panel other than I changed it from kilometers to miles.

Have you manually allowed any servers? You can check this in the Allow and Deny panel beneath the Geo-filter map.

12 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Have you manually allowed any servers? You can check this in the Allow and Deny panel beneath the Geo-filter map.

I've tried but it seems like the server address/ID changes after every time I connect to the server so doing it every time I want to play is sort of a pain.  But if that's what the solution is I'll do it.  Currently the only peers allowed are my friends that I've added. 

12 hours ago, greengrow said:

I've tried but it seems like the server address/ID changes after every time I connect to the server so doing it every time I want to play is sort of a pain.  But if that's what the solution is I'll do it.  Currently the only peers allowed are my friends that I've added. 

I believe that's why you're connecting to servers outside of your search radius, if you haven't manually allowed anything important (i.e servers for party chat or discord), I'd suggest clearing out your allow/deny list and re-searching.

7 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

I believe that's why you're connecting to servers outside of your search radius, if you haven't manually allowed anything important (i.e servers for party chat or discord), I'd suggest clearing out your allow/deny list and re-searching.

I cleared out everything from the allowed list and it's still doing it.  I'm not sure what's the problem when it worked yesterday and then just stopped working. Is it when I change the location of the geofilter? Is it not made to be moved around often?  I like trying the different servers out to see how difficult the players are and how good the connection is but that becomes impossible when this thing is connecting outside of the radius.  And on top of that when I use the ping heat map it will show there's at least two servers in Florida for example but it doesn't connect me to either of them generally.

tried it.png

pingmap.png

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you move it or disable Ping Assist while the game/console was already on? If so that is why - would suggest closing the game completely then waiting 2 minutes before you try again 

so the console has to be off before you select a location?

The problem with that is when my friends join the xbox party, even if allowed, it will not connect unless I turn filter mode off.  I then have to turn it back on while the console is on and I'm in a party for it to connect to them or the xbox service itself (is there a server I should allow for that?).   So how can my friends connect to my party with filtering mode on?  It doesn't seem to allow them even when they're on the allow list.  And if I can't use filter mode unless the console is fully powered down and restarted how do work around this party chat issue.  Because that's the made reason I have to turn filtering off in the first place it never connects to xbox party.  I would like to host.  If I don't host I don't have the issues because filtering mode is then turned off but my friend has a horrible connection thus I'm forced to host.

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, greengrow said:

on further investigation it's me that can't connect to party chat.  If I create a party it times itself out or whatever and says there's a party error.  Quite a hassle.

There is likely a server blocked on the Geo-Filter when that happens, allow it and then it should work

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There is likely a server blocked on the Geo-Filter when that happens, allow it and then it should work

But I did what you said and removed ALL approved and denied servers and players. 

23 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I tried that.  And when I allow one another pops up that's blocked in the same spot.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, greengrow said:

I tried that.  And when I allow one another pops up that's blocked in the same spot.

There are many servers clustered together so that's likely the one spot you need to keep allowing until they're all allowed and see if it works

On 2/27/2021 at 4:27 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Currently cross platform friends do not appear on the Geo-Filter - they must be doing this via a different port that isn't covered or by going through an existing server - that's something we'll look at - usually though it doesn't filter them so they can join anyway. If you're not hosting the lobby then I would recommend you disable the filter anyway - even if they could join they may join a server that you block and so you could get booted out. 

Make sure you are fully zoomed out on the map and try the party chat - you may see a server that is blocked that you can allow. Not possible to whitelist a specific IP at this time.

My IPv6 isn't working properly.  It will work on my xbox and it'll say IPv4 & IPv6 and whatever but then IPv6 will stop being recognized on xbox and it will go back to saying it's only IPv4.  If I reboot the router it fixes it but it happens almost daily.   It seems like it has to do with when I adjust the geofilter location or something.  Either way it's become a huge pain having to reboot the router everyday.  Is there any other ways to fix this IPv6 issue?

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, greengrow said:

My IPv6 isn't working properly.  It will work on my xbox and it'll say IPv4 & IPv6 and whatever but then IPv6 will stop being recognized on xbox and it will go back to saying it's only IPv4.  If I reboot the router it fixes it but it happens almost daily.   It seems like it has to do with when I adjust the geofilter location or something.  Either way it's become a huge pain having to reboot the router everyday.  Is there any other ways to fix this IPv6 issue?

How long does IPv6 stay active? This could be related to another issue on the R1 so would be interesting to hear. If you're not sure if you could roughly time it that would be really helpful.

On 4/14/2021 at 7:20 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

How long does IPv6 stay active? This could be related to another issue on the R1 so would be interesting to hear. If you're not sure if you could roughly time it that would be really helpful.

it stayed active since about my last post.  but I'm not positive.  I have to reboot the router and then restart my entire console for it to register the IPv6.

The bad part is there is no real warning or sign that it's broken itself until people start having connection issues.  All I know that changed was I turned filtering mode off on the geo-filter because I wasn't hosting.  I checked the network settings this evening and had to reboot > restart.  Am I missing something to get this to work properly?

5 hours ago, greengrow said:

it stayed active since about my last post.  but I'm not positive.  I have to reboot the router and then restart my entire console for it to register the IPv6.

The bad part is there is no real warning or sign that it's broken itself until people start having connection issues.  All I know that changed was I turned filtering mode off on the geo-filter because I wasn't hosting.  I checked the network settings this evening and had to reboot > restart.  Am I missing something to get this to work properly?

OK thank you, see if you can reproduce the issue by making some changes to Geo-filter and then monitoring your connection. If you do know roughly when it drops, could you check the logs and see if there's any entries that appear to pertain to this?