Xbox Lowering my Ping/Latency....

On 4/19/2021 at 8:22 AM, Netduma Liam said:

OK thank you, see if you can reproduce the issue by making some changes to Geo-filter and then monitoring your connection. If you do know roughly when it drops, could you check the logs and see if there's any entries that appear to pertain to this?

I'll look into it it seems to be doing it randomly or when I mess with QoS/Geo-filter settings not sure which.

Which leads to probably the finally part of this journey.  what's the ultimate way to get ping and latency down on xbox? It seems like I'm getting random ping spikes but it could be normal behavior.  I"m using ping plotter and it sure isn't a flat line.  My ping target is never less than 16ms.  no matter what.  I'm not sure if it's my ISP or what.  but I rarely get ping but better than 50-60ms.  and I've gotta assume I dont have these settings maximized the results seem extremely inconsistent tho.  Using the Connection Benchmark tool could say one thing one minute and be totally different the next test.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  It SEEMS like its better when the upload is at like 98percent but then it cuts my DL to like 50percent if it actually got ping down in warzone I'd sacrifice the speed easily.

• Administrators

Oh wow that's interesting, wonder what they are doing differently that causes that. I know people would suggest OBS instead as it's less bloated. Well done for figuring it out and thanks for letting us know, is it playing better now then?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Oh wow that's interesting, wonder what they are doing differently that causes that. I know people would suggest OBS instead as it's less bloated. Well done for figuring it out and thanks for letting us know, is it playing better now then?

It weirdly started giving me ping spikes but nowhere near as bad as streamlabs. streamlabs was instantly where obs seemed like it took time to affect my connection.  Not sure tho.  speculating.

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, greengrow said:

It weirdly started giving me ping spikes but nowhere near as bad as streamlabs. streamlabs was instantly where obs seemed like it took time to affect my connection.  Not sure tho.  speculating.

I imagine this could be happening if you're using Traffic Prio for anything as it will want a steady connection - it can suffer if it is in the network queue

36 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I imagine this could be happening if you're using Traffic Prio for anything as it will want a steady connection - it can suffer if it is in the network queue

I'm not using Traffic Prioritization at all other than the default setting.  I did not add any other devices to it.  Here is a screenshot of pingplotter and my xbox connection and the difference when I simply open each application.  I'm not even streaming in these instances, is this normal?

streamlabs closed again.png

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How is the Xbox connected to the router, via WiFi or ethernet and if WiFi are you using 2.4 or 5GHz?

ethernet cable.  I have it hooked up from the router to a tp-link switch which goes to my xbox and then my laptop as well.

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is it a managed or unmanaged switch? Is it possible to try directly connected to the router?

I'm not sure what managed vs. unmanaged is. 

I'll try directly connecting.

this is the switch I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A128S24

There doesn't seem to be any difference directly connected vs. connected to the switch.

My Xbox latency is at over 60ms tho and that's weirding me out. 

I tried running my stream from a vpn while directly connected to the router and this is what ping plotter says about my xbox connection.  you can see pretty obviously when I start streaming.

vpn.PNG

18 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have another ethernet cable that you're able to switch out with it and see if it responds any better?

I've already done that. I have a brand new cat7 cable.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What settings are you streaming with, i.e. resolution, fps etc?

Nothing crazy have my elgato HD60 S+ at the resolution 1080p60 right now.

60fps, 6000 video bitrate.

output 1280x720

I'm running xsplit vcam also which seems pretty heavy on my computer in general.  but I've got all the basics taken care, I am getting a new PC soon but it won't be for a month or two.  It's just strange the programs are ping spiking my xbox without even being live.  I just open the program and the spikes start happening.  Maybe it's an issue with my computer itself I'm not sure, it could be too much for it to handle but even so would this really be something this router couldn't fix?  

I've got download speeds of 470mbps and like 24mpbs upload with a 9ping on speedtest.net

have the QoS sliders at download 50% and the upload at 99% after using the auto-setup since it seemed to give me much better results than the 70/70 percentages.

9 hours ago, greengrow said:

I've got download speeds of 470mbps and like 24mpbs upload with a 9ping on speedtest.net

have the QoS sliders at download 50% and the upload at 99% after using the auto-setup since it seemed to give me much better results than the 70/70 percentages.

Is the DumaOS classified games rule showing a red light for upload and download when you're playing?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Interesting, does it spike if you actually go use the Elgato software instead of OBS?

Yes, it does.  Streamlabs has most spikes, then OBS, then lastly the Elgato Software itself.

• Administrators

As in it drops down to nothing when stream link beta is disabled? On the one hand it makes sense, you're recording/streaming using Elgato hardware, makes sense the software they provided would be optimal but very confusing it has that kind of network effect literally doing nothing online

well it I mean when the elgato app is open it's only flucating by about 3 or 4ms.  when it's normal and I'm playing a game not streaming it seems like it's at 1ms ping or so.  everything else sky rockets when I stream.  the elgato app had maybe a little to do with it but I don't think it was the main problem.