Traffic Prioritization "Wireless Type"

I have a XR1000 with firmware version 1.0.0.50_1.0.36

During the process of creating a prioritization rule, the wizard will ask you to select a "Wireless Type"

Normal (default)
Video
Gaming/Voice

It will also ask if you would like to Apply the rule to WAN (off by default)

I have been unable to find details to help explain what impact these options will have to the rule being created.  Can someone please help explain what these options will effect?  Thank you

The goal I am achieving:

The default DumaOS classified games rule has been working very well at identifying game traffic on the network.  I would also like to create a prioritization rule to prioritize all VoIP software for all devices on the network as well.  Such as Discord, teamspeak, xbox app party chat, etc.

Thank you guys for your help and support. 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

There's some info on Traffic prioritisation at the bottom of this article:

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

One thing that you can do is select 'advanced' and research the ports that game or service needs, and then prioritise data on those ports.

Thanks for the quick feedback Liam

I will do my research for each VoIP application so that I can prioritize those destination ports in the rules.  I was curious to know if DPI(Deep Packet inspection) would be able to detect all voip traffic regardless of port or application and prioritize those packets in that manner with some type of rule.  Wasn't sure if DPI technology was quite that advanced yet or not.

As to my other questions I would like to focus on:

1. "Wireless Type" (Normal, Video, Gaming/Voice) selection during the traffic prioritization rule creation.  What do these selections do exactly?

2. "Apply rule to WAN" check mark box.  what does that do? (this option is at the very end of the rule creation wizard)

3. I noticed that I can select an individual device when creating a traffic rule, but i can't select "All Devices" like how the DumaOS Classified games rule was created.  Is there a way I can say "All devices" and then specify a destination port? That would be nice.

Thanks guys

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Wallynova said:

Thanks for the quick feedback Liam

I will do my research for each VoIP application so that I can prioritize those destination ports in the rules.  I was curious to know if DPI(Deep Packet inspection) would be able to detect all voip traffic regardless of port or application and prioritize those packets in that manner with some type of rule.  Wasn't sure if DPI technology was quite that advanced yet or not.

As to my other questions I would like to focus on:

1. "Wireless Type" (Normal, Video, Gaming/Voice) selection during the traffic prioritization rule creation.  What do these selections do exactly?

2. "Apply rule to WAN" check mark box.  what does that do? (this option is at the very end of the rule creation wizard)

3. I noticed that I can select an individual device when creating a traffic rule, but i can't select "All Devices" like how the DumaOS Classified games rule was created.  Is there a way I can say "All devices" and then specify a destination port? That would be nice.

Thanks guys

DPI requires us to classify traffic in order for it to be able to detect it so if it's something we haven't classified then it wouldn't be prioritized automatically without using ports etc.

I believe Wireless Type is actually a misprint and it's just Traffic Type so you can select any of those options depending on what you're prioritizing specifically. Apply to WAN should be chosen if the device is wireless.

You can't select all devices no reason being it's for prioritizing those select few devices you want the best experience on, if you do that to all devices then they will supersede Congestion Control and potentially cause lag.

Thank you Fraser for the quick response

You have answered all of my questions for me.  Do you mind going into a little more detail as to why you would pick "Apply to WAN" when prioritizing traffic for a wireless device?

I could understand if it said "Apply to WLAN" instead of "Apply to WAN."  I have a Entry-Level network admin background so I can take it. Hit me with all the details.

Thanks Fraser

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Wallynova said:

You have answered all of my questions for me.  Do you mind going into a little more detail as to why you would pick "Apply to WAN" when prioritizing traffic for a wireless device?

I could understand if it said "Apply to WLAN" instead of "Apply to WAN."  I have a Entry-Level network admin background so I can take it. Hit me with all the details.

Thanks Fraser

I could but I will need to ask a developer first as it's a pretty new feature so I don't have too much backend knowledge on how it works/why it was named that way. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

AH HA! Newfie is exactly right! 

When you are selecting "Wireless Type" on the list you are selecting from the 3 different WMM Multimedia traffic types! Voice/gaming, Video, or best-effect(normal/default).  of course this would only apply if your device was a wireless device that supports WMM.  in my case my device is a hard-wired PC. I feel like the wording should be updated in that section of DUMA to focus more on letting your know it is for WMM QoS.

There is only ONE question that remains! :

What the heck is that "Apply to WAN" check box doing? 

Thank you guys for finding all of this stuff out for me.  I hope you guys have a happy Holidays :) 

Hey guys,

I got to thinking about the "Apply to WAN" check box and I think I might of just found the answer to my question.  Maybe you guys can help me verified this.  Perhaps it is talking about applying the WMM QoS rule to BOTH your regular WiFi network AND your guest WiFi network? hmmmm.  that would make logical since. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Wallynova said:

Hey guys,

I got to thinking about the "Apply to WAN" check box and I think I might of just found the answer to my question.  Maybe you guys can help me verified this.  Perhaps it is talking about applying the WMM QoS rule to BOTH your regular WiFi network AND your guest WiFi network? hmmmm.  that would make logical since. 

It's certainly possible but I'm waiting for a dev to confirm before I get back to you, it may take some time due to the holidays.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, Wallynova said:

Thanks Fraser

Apply to WAN is the way to go for hardwired devices. 

Devices and access points on a WLAN must be certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance to take advantage of WMM's QoS features. Source applications must also support WMM.

WMM has nothing to do with hard wired devices. To be honest having options under the WMM is just confusing for the end user. 

• Administrators

I've got some information on this now:

The Wireless Type refers to our wireless QoS, there are three lanes, Normal, Video and Voice (Gaming). You can separate traffic into lanes depending on their importance to you.The system will ask you which wireless type you want, even for ethernet connected devices. This is something we'll be changing in a future update. Apply to WAN is an experimental feature which we haven't done a lot of testing on. In future we may decide to enable it by default if we can prove that it works and that it has no compatibility issues. Essentially it applies the same priority information tags to packets going out to the ISP. The ISP may just ignore these tags, but you may see a performance improvement through using these tags.

Fraser you are awesome!

Thank you so much for all of that information.  That makes perfect since to me now.  From what I have gathered I think most ISPs ignore QoS tags on WAN traffic coming from residential customers.  They do however obey it on leased business lines.  That could of changed over the years though.  I have Comcast Xfinity service and was going to ask a live agent but they are busy today.  Maybe I will get a hold of them and some point and update this thread with that info.  Would be interesting to know.  

This has been great for getting me back up to speed in the world of networking and seeing what is new and has changed.  Thanks for your support Fraser.  You have a good one  

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Wallynova said:

Fraser you are awesome!

Thank you so much for all of that information.  That makes perfect since to me now.  From what I have gathered I think most ISPs ignore QoS tags on WAN traffic coming from residential customers.  They do however obey it on leased business lines.  That could of changed over the years though.  I have Comcast Xfinity service and was going to ask a live agent but they are busy today.  Maybe I will get a hold of them and some point and update this thread with that info.  Would be interesting to know.  

This has been great for getting me back up to speed in the world of networking and seeing what is new and has changed.  Thanks for your support Fraser.  You have a good one  

You're very welcome! If you could see what they say about that then that would be great. Maybe then we could accumulate a list of ISPs that will know it will definitely work with and then be able to advise people whether to use it or not depending on the ISP. We'll of course do more testing on that feature as well.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The Wireless Type refers to our wireless QoS, there are three lanes, Normal, Video and Voice (Gaming). You can separate traffic into lanes depending on their importance to you.The system will ask you which wireless type you want, even for ethernet connected devices. This is something we'll be changing in a future update. Apply to WAN is an experimental feature which we haven't done a lot of testing on. In future we may decide to enable it by default if we can prove that it works and that it has no compatibility issues. Essentially it applies the same priority information tags to packets going out to the ISP. The ISP may just ignore these tags, but you may see a performance improvement through using these tags.

Great news Fraser. I wish there was a way to just choose APPLY TO WAN and not have to include the Wireless traffic types. So for now you recommend Normal and apply to wan for Ethernet ps5?

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, fiefo said:

Great news Fraser. I wish there was a way to just choose APPLY TO WAN and not have to include the Wireless traffic types. So for now you recommend Normal and apply to wan for Ethernet ps5?

Yes that is exactly what I would recommend, it would behave like normal prio plus the potential benefit of Apply to WAN - as it's still early days, if it doesn't provide much of a benefit you can disable it.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:21 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Is this WMM or have you just renamed this, if not where is WMM?

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, Jakerod12 said:

So, which do i pick if im playing PS4 call of duty?
Normal or gaming?and apply to WAN

If playing on WiFi choose gaming, if playing via ethernet then choose normal. Apply to WAN is up to you, see if you notice more of a benefit with it enabled or disabled.