Getting sick and tired...

Dyson350

Every time I need to unplug the router to organize something it ALWAYS causes an issue. It's either, settings will change, have to reconfigure DMZ, or everything will work except one device. I had to unplug it earlier today and everything on wifi was working fine. But for some reason the PS5 wouldn't connect to the internet via LAN until I restarted the router. I should have to worry about the next thing I am going to have to troubleshoot simply from turning power off to a router. Never had this issue with any other router/modem.

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, Dyson350 said:

Every time I need to unplug the router to organize something it ALWAYS causes an issue. It's either, settings will change, have to reconfigure DMZ, or everything will work except one device. I had to unplug it earlier today and everything on wifi was working fine. But for some reason the PS5 wouldn't connect to the internet via LAN until I restarted the router. I should have to worry about the next thing I am going to have to troubleshoot simply from turning power off to a router. Never had this issue with any other router/modem.

Why are you unplugging the router to 'organise' things so much? Routers are kinda designed to be plugged in and left on, and since there is no power switch on the R2 I hope you are not pulling the connector out the back and back in with the power adaptor still on as that can fry a router as it can arc when you push the connector back in. A router should be mounted high up for better Wi-Fi, not hidden behind furniture and electronic equipment that can cause issues by blocking Wi-Fi and inducing RFI and sometimes EMI also its better for the router to have as much ventilation as possible. Mine is on a shelf way up out the way so it does what it needs to do and very rarely gets unplugged. :) Unplugging it and plugging it in will eventually shorten any electronic devices life as booting up from a zero power state is one of  the most stressful times for any device, also with NVRAM there is the potential to cause corruption if its done to often.

• Administrators

I would agree with @Killhippie it's not meant to be unplugged so frequently. When you unplug the router that's not performing a proper reboot so it makes sense you would need to do software reboot after connecting back in. The same is seen on a laptop for example, if you let the power drain then it will sometimes say the computer did not shutdown correctly and then you need to restart it/wait for it to boot up properly.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would agree with @Killhippie it's not meant to be unplugged so frequently. When you unplug the router that's not performing a proper reboot so it makes sense you would need to do software reboot after connecting back in. The same is seen on a laptop for example, if you let the power drain then it will sometimes say the computer did not shutdown correctly and then you need to restart it/wait for it to boot up properly.

We shouldn't have to power cycle the r2 every 24 to 48 hours to get the wifi to work either 

This is complete BS. I had to turn of the power to switch TV's and now the router won't connect to the modem. You're telling me there is no safe way to power down the router? That is a complete joke....now I can't get the router to show up on the modem so instead of messing with my new TV I have to troubleshoot this junk router.

18 minutes ago, Dyson350 said:

This is complete BS. I had to turn of the power to switch TV's and now the router won't connect to the modem. You're telling me there is no safe way to power down the router? That is a complete joke....now I can't get the router to show up on the modem so instead of messing with my new TV I have to troubleshoot this junk router.

The way you worded your post it indicated you turn off your router more than what would be classed as normal. 

are you saying the R2 has not recognised your Internet connection? 

• Administrators

As above, it's fine if you need to do that, would just make sure you reboot afterwards properly from the interface. If you reboot it it should just re-establish the connection if you don't need to enter any PPPoE details etc.