Best ethernet cable to buy??

Jettman

• 4 months later...

Well, cable differences are for bandwidth purposes primarily. For example if you're running a gigabit network you'll want or your cable will bottleneck you.

Good read if you want to get into specifics. My suggestion for home network is shielded Cat 6 you won't utilize anything larger.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/different-types-of-ethernet-cables-explained/

• 2 months later...

The only thing you would need for 1Gbit connections is cat 5E.

Cat 6 for 10Gbit connections up to 55 meter. 5E will also do this for shorter distances but it’s not really supported. The pairs have a higher twist rate in cat 6 compared to 5E that’s the only significant difference. 

My advice is use cat 6 or higher for cables that are fixed ie in walls. That way you can future proof it a bit but really you should be good for 10Gbe.

For loose patch cables just use 5E as they are the easiest to work with, nice and flexible. They are super cheap. I order them to the length I need. Like 0,5m cat 5E is 1 euro, Cat 7 is 4 euro. When you go from 1Gbit to higher just throw the 5E in the bin and replace it with a 6/6A/7.

I have Cat 7 in wall. (You can use 6A or 7 doesn’t really matter as Cat 7 is not true Cat 7 without GG45 connectors, so you might say that the ready made 7 is really 6A spec) and then 5E for 1Gbit connections and 7 for 10Gbit connections. Even the thinner cat 7 S/FTP 26AWG cables are so stiff that a 0,5m cable can almost stand up straight like a cobra. 5E is far more pleasant in that respect.

Also note that if you want to make cables yourself, 5E and 6 are easy to crimp. Connectors for 6A and higher use different crimping tools. Cat 7 I use is punched down on LSA connectors. But I used these toolless connectors before that, you can get angled versions as well since 6A and higher can be a pain to bend in tight radius.

Shielded cables, don’t bother with them for cat 5E and 6 for home use. There is not enough EMI interference around to make a significant difference.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:19 AM, Fuzy said:

I have a cat 6 of 15 meters because I have dl speeds higher than 1 Gbit. And it does the job !

image.png.a76cbd73e90782214834ec6f16b2f76c.png

I agrree most people dont even have the bandwith to where it matters, So cat5 and 6 will suffice just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Next time people go out and buy the latest Cat 8 cables for high performance, look at this picture.

This shitshow actually runs 5 Gbit Ethernet LOL. And that's the max of the ethernet card.

5 Gbit card -> 6A patchcable -> 6A keystone -> cat 7 cable -> temp fix with cat 6 keystone and 5E patchcable. 

I'm waiting for my patch panel to arrive and made a temporary fix LOL.

IMG_0937.jpg