Just got my XR1000 holly cow is the interface slow

• Administrators

I'm advising a factory reset on this version specifically because I don't believe it has been tested thoroughly and so to ensure the least amount of possible issues doing a reset afterwards would be recommend and as it looks like in your case you are getting some issues there so I would suggest doing that. A factory reset is generally recommended after an upgrade to prevent any legacy issues carrying over but it isn't a requirement.

1 hour ago, oroechimaru said:

IT WOULD BE AWESOME if future firmware updates do not require firmware resets to function optimally. With all the QOS and custom settings, a reset is going to be a major pain. 

All routers even enterprise router like Cisco may require a reset and Cisco advise that if needed. Domestic routers tend to need them more as low level code is held in the NVram so a reset clears that code out. It’s also best not to load a saved profile which can contain code that’s not matched up with the new firmware.

You will find those that Beta test routers with NG for example do resets as standard practise, Merlin did an article on Smallnetbuilders where he explains the need for a reset and he codes for Asus. 
NG support will normally ask you to do one too as it’s fairly standard practise and gives you a level playing field to Start fault finding.

so a security update may not require a reset but drivers and other packets of code may need one and I always reset my router after updates which is why I prefer the more standard type router. 

unfortunately with gaming routers they tend to be more complex in their software so more options and settings which I fully understand can be a pain to set up where as I simply have a few options to take care of so a reset takes around 15min. The important part is to make sure you have notes on your settings so you can set up again in a timely and organised fashion.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, oroechimaru said:

The interface is much more responsive after the update + reset. The timeouts I had from update only have disapeared.

I did find that EDGE was a bit better than Chrome after the reset in terms of responding.

Great to hear that, thank you for the feedback!

• 1 month later...

I'm currently seeing the same issue on a new XR1000 - firmware 1.0.0.50_1.0.36. Really slow web UI loading 10+ seconds per page, tried multiple browsers with no extensions enabled and cache cleared. Router has been rebooted and factory reset multiple times but issue persists. With only my PC connected and no internet traffic I can see in the cpu utilization on the router is strangely high with 2 cores always floating between 20-50% usage. Can I get the updated firmware to try? Thanks

firefox_Z8ExcYhoya.png

11 hours ago, oroechimaru said:

Although I was bummed, I did a hard reset @Cabern after the firmware upgrade and that fixed it for me... it was a little painful to reconfigure everything again but it solved a ton of my bufferbloat and slow website issues. 

Thanks for the info, glad to hear it!

• 1 month later...

my xr1000 is on the latest firmware firmware 1.0.0.50_1.0.36 and like all the others mentioned above its extremely slow compared to the R2, is there something I can do to fix this?

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, TxFrog33 said:

my xr1000 is on the latest firmware firmware 1.0.0.50_1.0.36 and like all the others mentioned above its extremely slow compared to the R2, is there something I can do to fix this?

The latest firmware is .52 please upgrade then do a factory reset and see if you get the same thing https://kb.netgear.com/000062702/XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-52

I'd like to chime in here. I feel like the interface on the XR1000 is incredibly slow. I made a short video about my experience rather than explain how to replicate the problem. 

Video of the XR1000 taking minutes to load the web interface: 

I did a full factory reset a week ago when I was troubleshooting the DHCP bugs the XR1000 has. It's a very fresh config of the XR1000 and most likely represents the optimal conditions of the XR1000's web interface's performance. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, MotFPS said:

I'd like to chime in here. I feel like the interface on the XR1000 is incredibly slow. I made a short video about my experience rather than explain how to replicate the problem. 

Video of the XR1000 taking minutes to load the web interface: 
I did a full factory reset a week ago when I was troubleshooting the DHCP bugs the XR1000 has. It's a very fresh config of the XR1000 and most likely represents the optimal conditions of the XR1000's web interface's performance. 

Thanks for the video, does clearing the web browser cache/cpokies speed up loading of the interface at all?

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the video, does clearing the web browser cache/cpokies speed up loading of the interface at all?

My video was based on FF, a browser that I only use to view my cameras. I used incognito mode too just in case it wanted to save cookies, etc. Essentially, it's a fresh install of Firefox I never use. 

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Darren_dobson said:

I am suffering with this poor performance and incredibly slow load times, thats if the rapps even load at all

What is the fix for this 

currently running

XR1000 1.0.0.52_1.0.38

Is there another version to try and then a factory reset?

There isn't a fix currently or another firmware I can suggest, I've let the team know so they'll get this sorted.

30/30/30 reset fixes it.

I was having the same issue with mine right out of the box after going through setup that forced me to update to 52 during setup. Anyway resetting though the firmware interface did nothing. This issue was not a browser issue I tried it on chrome and IE from 3 diffrent computers and a phone. It was so bad sometime it would fail to load at all or even let me log in at times. 

Pushing in the reset button for 30 seconds then pulling the power plug and keep holding for another 30 seconds plug back in hold for another 30 sec. "30/30/30 reset" fixed it for me.

30/30/30 resets should not have to be a thing, its ridiculous, but it did work for me.

23 minutes ago, Darren_dobson said:

wimpy 

Does this 30/30/30 do a full factory reset?

Thanks

That stands a chance of causing more issues, that method was used for old style routers. A reset using the rear pin is how it should be done or else you could corrupt the router.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, WIMMPYIII said:

30/30/30 reset fixes it.

I was having the same issue with mine right out of the box after going through setup that forced me to update to 52 during setup. Anyway resetting though the firmware interface did nothing. This issue was not a browser issue I tried it on chrome and IE from 3 diffrent computers and a phone. It was so bad sometime it would fail to load at all or even let me log in at times. 

Pushing in the reset button for 30 seconds then pulling the power plug and keep holding for another 30 seconds plug back in hold for another 30 sec. "30/30/30 reset" fixed it for me.

30/30/30 resets should not have to be a thing, its ridiculous, but it did work for me.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Glad you managed to fix it but as above wouldn't suggest using that method again. We are looking into it currently, we have found its slow on Firefox but haven't been able to reproduce it on other browsers so far.

On 2/2/2021 at 8:45 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Glad you managed to fix it but as above wouldn't suggest using that method again. We are looking into it currently, we have found its slow on Firefox but haven't been able to reproduce it on other browsers so far.

So your suggestion is to wait for at best months for a firmware fix on a brand new router that cost over $300? I think not. I and everyone else should do whatever possible short of physical damage to get it working while they at least have 30 days to return it. As I got it out of the box it was completely useless and nothing short of a 30/30/30 reset did anything. Non of your stated recommendations or netgears did anything but waste massive amounts of peoples time.