Hardware locking up

Ste G

Hi

Noticed a slight issue, hardware seems to be locking up, done it twice day.

Locks up, internet stops, nothing works, no interface etc.

Hard reset is needed to fix.

Had similar issues with the R1.

Any ideas on how to stop this?

• Administrators

Sorry to hear you're having this issue Ste. Does it seem to be at the same time each day? It could be the DHCP lease so in Settings change the hours to 168 and then apply please. Then let us know if you continue to experience the issue.

Just had this happen as well.

The 5ghz light on the router is solid. No longer blinking and all wired devices work.

Not sure what is going on but I may switch back to my XR 500.

It has only been running about 8 hours today and I have had a few issues.  Any else having this?  Where the wifi just quits and the lights go solid?

Guest Killhippie
9 hours ago, Stephen A Vaught said:

The 5ghz light on the router is solid. No longer blinking and all wired devices work.

It has only been running about 8 hours today and I have had a few issues.  Any else having this?  Where the wifi just quits and the lights go solid?

You could start by reinstalling the Firmware. Secondly It could be the heat, if you are in the UK the heat could be to much for most routers in the wrong position like direct sunlight. Have you tried resetting the router at all? Starting from scratch with your setup may help, and maybe giving the router a bit more room to cool underneath if its very warm where you are may also stop lock ups, I have several routers and one has a inbuilt fan which is coming on quite a lot, so try making sure its not in direct sun or in a space without good airflow and see if a reset helps as the final nuclear option.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Stephen A Vaught said:

Hi Stephen - sorry to hear this. How many devices do you have connected to your R2? 

We will get a firmware upgrade out to you and @Ste G this week which will help us find out the cause of this so we can fix asap 

• Administrators

A few more questions on this @Ste G and @Stephen A Vaught:

1. Are you connected using PPPoE?

2. Who is your ISP?

3. Do you have an IPv6 WAN address?

4. How many devices (approximately) do you have connected e.g 10, 20, 50 etc.?

5. Have you kept the interface open for hours at a time?

6. Do you lose wired connection as well as wireless? 

Answers to all of those will be extremely helpful. If you could also export the log from system information whenever this next happens that’d be ideal  

We should have a firmware ready for you tomorrow that, best case, will fix your problem, worst case, should help us find the cause

Good morning Everyone.

From earlier Post to answer that question:  I have 31-40 devices attached.

Let me know when you can send the firmware.  I switched back to my XR500 for the moment.

1.  No on PPPoE

2. Cox Communications - using an ARRIS SB8200 (non-PUMA thank goodness)  no errors or T3's in the event log

3. Yes I have an IPv6 Address 2600:xxxxxxxxxxx

4. 31-40 connected depending if the kiddos have their laptops and desktops on :)

5.  I kept it open for about an hour watching the multi-threaded CPU as I tried to stress the device

6.  Wired connection stayed solid.  2.4 was a little iffy.  5Ghz was dead.  Solid light (no activity).  This happened while I was stressing the 5Ghz connection using "Wi-Fi Sweet Spot" app on my iPhone. It ran for about 20 seconds then just locked up the 5GHz.  I also noticed the 5GHz performance is no where near what I get on the XR500.  Around 90-100 on R2 versus 400-500 on the XR500.

As for the log file, I have it disconnected at the moment but I can try to get that to you.  Let me know if you need the Serial number from the R2 as well.

Thank you for your help.

• Administrators

Thanks a lot for that information that's really helpful. Yes it you could connect back and wait for it to happen again if possible and provide the log that would be great. We can then get you a firmware on Monday hopefully. For the WiFi speed change your DNS to Google or Cloudflare, does that speed it up at all?

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Stephen A Vaught said:

OK, I will hook it back today and test.

As for the log file, can that be exported to a file or do i need to copy paste to text file and attach it?

Thank you! Go to System Information and on the log panel click the 3 line icon in the top left of the panel and you can download it as a text file there.

• Administrators
On 8/8/2020 at 3:58 PM, Ste G said:

Hi

Noticed a slight issue, hardware seems to be locking up, done it twice day.

Locks up, internet stops, nothing works, no interface etc.

Hard reset is needed to fix.

Had similar issues with the R1.

Any ideas on how to stop this?

Hi Ste, thanks for purcharsing the R2. Sorry about the issues you're having. We're here to help.

When it locks up are you able to any of the following:

• Access the GUI from wired connection?
  • ping google.com?
  • ping 8.8.8.8
On 8/9/2020 at 1:07 AM, Stephen A Vaught said:

Thanks Stephen for purchasing the r2 and sorry about the issues you're having.

Is this purely a Wi-Fi issue? When the issues happens are you able to do any of the following:

• Access the GUI from wired connection?
  • ping google.com?
  • ping 8.8.8.8?

If the answer is yes to all of them and wired is therefore working. Can you try grab the log file as soon as Wi-Fi stops happening. I checked out your log file and didn't notice anything odd in it.

Yes purely a wifi issue.  Wired devices were still functioning at full capacity.

I am running on my XR500 at the moment while I telework.  I will hook it up later and test again.  By chance do you have any new firmware I can test.

Thank You

• Administrators

You can use the new firmware, however, it doesn't contain any Wi-Fi fixes in it. @Netduma Alex Could you post new firmware for @Stephen A Vaught to try please.

We will have a firmware out, probably tomorrow that will increase the number of channels available for the regions. I'm not sure that will help with problem you mention though. 

@Stephen A Vaught Here's the firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vklzjkftpdcd01t/DumaOS-R2-RC5-Production-3.0.129-100820.sig?dl=0

To update: Download the file above, open DumaOS, click the three dots in the top right corner, choose update, upload the file you just downloaded, and wait a few minutes while the R2 restarts.

Let us know if this hotfix works for you!

On 8/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear you're having this issue Ste. Does it seem to be at the same time each day? It could be the DHCP lease so in Settings change the hours to 168 and then apply please. Then let us know if you continue to experience the issue.

Sorry, only just  remember to check this thread still got the issue, happened again today.

• R2 locked up again today.
  • DNS issues, really slow interface,
  • Lan grounds to a halt but wifi will still work?
  • Daughters xbox constantly having DNS issues, can't connect to DNS server, please reboot router, set up a static ip which seems to have fix it.

1. Are you connected using PPPoE? - YES

2. Who is your ISP? - PLUSNET

3. Do you have an IPv6 WAN address? - IP6 Is on I believe, not 100% sure where i find the WAN setting on this version of Duma 3.0?

4. How many devices (approximately) do you have connected e.g 10, 20, 50 etc.? - 11 Devices Currently connected. 18 off line.

5. Have you kept the interface open for hours at a time? - No

6. Do you lose wired connection as well as wireless?  - no just LAN.

• Access the GUI from wired connection? - Yes but REALLY slowly.
  • ping google.com? - yes currently 
  • ping 8.8.8.8 - yes currently 

@Netduma Iain