Random hotfix patch made my xr500 reboot by itself??

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No updates from our side were pushed as far as I am aware. Has it happened again since then?

Nah hasn't happened since, it just randomly did a reboot in the middle of a warzone game 😕 

23 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hopefully it was a fluke but let us know if it happens again.

Happened again tonight haha :/ Just did a factory reset and now I'm waiting to see if it happens again. 

Hasn't happened since so fingers crossed it's all good. I had heaps of servers dotted into my geo filter, can too many filtered servers cause the router to crash and reboot? Now that I think about it I had a similar issue with my old R1 where it would reboot randomly, I'm kinda wondering if it's a software issue and not hardware related. I can't remember whether the R1 had DumaOS or R1 software at the time though. 

Hey Fraiser, whilst I have your attention I'm hoping you can help me with another issue? When I have my XR500 CC set to "When High Priority Traffic Detected" it activates whenever Steam is running. Is it possible to leave it on that setting but not have it auto activate whenever Steam is just running and I'm not playing anything? 

10 minutes ago, SwiftCookie said:

Hey Fraiser, whilst I have your attention I'm hoping you can help me with another issue? When I have my XR500 CC set to "When High Priority Traffic Detected" it activates whenever Steam is running. Is it possible to leave it on that setting but not have it auto activate whenever Steam is just running and I'm not playing anything? 

It will activate when rules in the Traffic Prioritization panel are triggered.

So I guess Steam is being recognised by the DumaOS Classified Games profile.

If you want to stop this happening, you'll have to disable this profile, and then manually add a device/game to the list.

@Netduma Fraser @Netduma Alex Hey lads!

Unfortunately It has rebooted another two times since we last spoke 😕 It's not overheating or anything and it seems to be completely random. So far I've done the factory reset and changed power points to no avail so I'm not sure what's going on....Just to be clear it's not just dropping connection, it's completely rebooting itself randomly. I really hope it's not dying on me already :(

Guest Killhippie
2 hours ago, SwiftCookie said:

@Netduma Fraser @Netduma Alex Hey lads!

Unfortunately It has rebooted another two times since we last spoke 😕 It's not overheating or anything and it seems to be completely random. So far I've done the factory reset and changed power points to no avail so I'm not sure what's going on....Just to be clear it's not just dropping connection, it's completely rebooting itself randomly. I really hope it's not dying on me already :(

Power supplies go soft over time, try a new power supply, you can by them online. If its under warranty RMA it. It does sound like a power issue.

@Netduma Fraser is it possible for me to send my router to y'all and to have you guys check to see if you experience the same rebooting issue that seems to be appearing more and more with the XR500? I'd be more than happy to pay for any shipping cost if necessary, but there's seem to be more post regarding this issue and I have mine collecting dust at the moment.

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Spdsk8race said:

@Netduma Fraser is it possible for me to send my router to y'all and to have you guys check to see if you experience the same rebooting issue that seems to be appearing more and more with the XR500? I'd be more than happy to pay for any shipping cost if necessary, but there's seem to be more post regarding this issue and I have mine collecting dust at the moment.

This is unlikely, especially given we're not at the office at the moment and so won't want to be giving out our private addresses. Best idea is to either get a replacement if possible or when this pandemic is over, to take it to a friends house and try it there.

I have already purchased a replacement, got it for a great price, and still have the old sitting in the box. I would be happy to mail it to the office address and let y'all tinker with it whenever, there isn't a huge rush. Figured it would be better to have it be used for research at some point, then to sit on my shelf or get thrown awau

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Spdsk8race said:

I have already purchased a replacement, got it for a great price, and still have the old sitting in the box. I would be happy to mail it to the office address and let y'all tinker with it whenever, there isn't a huge rush. Figured it would be better to have it be used for research at some point, then to sit on my shelf or get thrown awau

Email us [email protected] as they would be the ones to deal with it and they'll let you know whether that would be something we could do/be interested in. If the new one is fine though then it's likely the old one was just faulty.

Since yesterday, my brand new XR500 connected to the wall outlet, with brand new power cable, connected to u-verse dumb switch method, has rebooted twice on its own. Internet/wifi die out, then after about 2-3 minutes the router reboots itself. Using static wan, lease time is set to one hour. Should I go ahead and exchange this one? 

• Administrators

It's very strange that it is happening with the replacement. What is your exact physical setup? What devices are you using? It shouldn't make a difference but if your setup is abstract it might explain it.

3 hours ago, Spdsk8race said:

Since yesterday, my brand new XR500 connected to the wall outlet, with brand new power cable, connected to u-verse dumb switch method, has rebooted twice on its own. Internet/wifi die out, then after about 2-3 minutes the router reboots itself. Using static wan, lease time is set to one hour. Should I go ahead and exchange this one? 

I must admit I've seen more people post about random reboots recently so I'm wondering if it's software related. Mine just had another issue where it bugged out and couldn't sync with the NTP servers causing internet connection failure.  

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, SwiftCookie said:

I must admit I've seen more people post about random reboots recently so I'm wondering if it's software related. Mine just had another issue where it bugged out and couldn't sync with the NTP servers causing internet connection failure.  

If it is software related then hopefully 3.0 will resolve this permanently. I haven't seen that before, have you manually setup NTP in Settings?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If it is software related then hopefully 3.0 will resolve this permanently. I haven't seen that before, have you manually setup NTP in Settings?

Using a tp-link switch (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N99BBC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share)

I first boot up with the ONT connected to the att gateway through the switch, using only brand new cat 8 cables (Monoprice Cat 8 2GHz, 40G, 24AWG, S/FTP), wait for it to establish connection, I then unplug the gateway and plug the same Cat 8 cable to the XR500.

On the XR500 the settings I adjusted:

Changed the Mac address to match the disconnected att gateway to complete the dumb switch bypass

Changed NAT from secure to open and disabled SIP ALG

Added the Xbox to the geo filter

Disabled all QOS and disabled good throughput 

Set Xbox to a static IP

Changed DNS from automatic to Google DNS

Confirmed disabled ipv6

Plugging XR500 directly to wall outlet

From there, I have another cat 8 cable running the the Xbox, along with indoor micro cell site.

There are 18 wireless devices connected, mostly on 2.4 GHz, only 5 GHz items are 2 smart TVs. No other settings have been adjusted

Once it starts crashing I can't access the router so I can't see any logs or errors and the logs don't save after it reboots unfortunately. The one time I've seen the log right before it completely crashed was a bunch of ip marked logs. I can make a backup of my current configuration and attach it to confirm if needed. But it doesn't lose power when it begins the crash and reboot. It takes about 3 minutes with no internet access or available connection Before it reboots itself. I know for a fact it is nothing with the switch, due to the factor that if the switch loses power at any time, I have to repeat the process of connecting the att gateway prior to any internet access. 

I am certain at this point, this is directly related to something with the router, as I have replaced every piece, router cables, power supply/cable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 7:50 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

In that case I would suggest replacing that router, there doesn't seem to be anything there that I could think of that would trigger that behaviour.

After trying two other power supplies the router is still rebooting itself every now and then :( I've only owned it for just over a year, I really expected more reliability from a $450AUD router aye..... :(

• Administrators
7 hours ago, SwiftCookie said:

After trying two other power supplies the router is still rebooting itself every now and then :( I've only owned it for just over a year, I really expected more reliability from a $450AUD router aye..... :(

Could you get in touch with the retailer you purchased it from asap (or NETGEAR directly if that is not an option).