5ghz vs cat5 (xr500

AzeRuS94

Hello I have a 500/500 connection and for the moment I run out of ethernet cables and the only one is a cat5 that I found today. A cat5 is supposed to only achieve 100mbps, so if use the 5ghz of the xr500 I will have a better connection on my xbox one s as the xbox is very close to the xr500 right? What do I do? Use the 5ghz or the cat5? Thanks in advanced.

23 minutes ago, UK_Wildcats_Fans said:

For your console, the quality of the connection is usually way more important than the bandwidth. Many games don't really use much bandwidth. I would recommend using the cat 5 cable. 

ok thanks, but if I have to download a game do you recommend me switch to the 5ghz wifi?

Why not just try both?

I have 500/500 connection as well and I can easily achieve that on my devices in the same room, 300ish on the other end of the house.

I have used the XR500 wifi for gaming as well, cable is preferred but it worked fine for me on wifi with PS4.

If you plan to get another cable tomorrow or something, just use wifi for a day. Otherwise just install the CAT5 cable. You can easily swap to wifi from the menu.

• Administrators

You've got some good advice here. I would always recommend using ethernet cables for gaming so either use the one you have or upgrade it to cat 6 so you can get your full speeds as well for when you download games/updates. Otherwise if you don't want to get a new cable then you could use 5GHz for downloading and it'll likely be faster.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You've got some good advice here. I would always recommend using ethernet cables for gaming so either use the one you have or upgrade it to cat 6 so you can get your full speeds as well for when you download games/updates. Otherwise if you don't want to get a new cable then you could use 5GHz for downloading and it'll likely be faster.

Perfect, thanks a lot. I have another question, I have an iphone 8 plus and whenever I use wifi 2.4ghz or 5ghz it randomly disconnects and the wifi drops. What can be the problem? 

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, AzeRuS94 said:

Perfect, thanks a lot. I have another question, I have an iphone 8 plus and whenever I use wifi 2.4ghz or 5ghz it randomly disconnects and the wifi drops. What can be the problem? 

Do you experience this with any other wireless devices or just this one?

6 hours ago, AzeRuS94 said:

Hello I have a 500/500 connection and for the moment I run out of ethernet cables and the only one is a cat5 that I found today. A cat5 is supposed to only achieve 100mbps, so if use the 5ghz of the xr500 I will have a better connection on my xbox one s as the xbox is very close to the xr500 right? What do I do? Use the 5ghz or the cat5? Thanks in advanced.

By the way you can achieve 10/100/1000 speeds on a Cat 5 cable but it has to be Cat5e.

https://lifehacker.com/whats-the-difference-between-these-ethernet-cables-and-5994163

Just look on the cable and you should be able to read the cable type. If not try to pick up a Cat 6 cable if you want to be sure.

1 hour ago, Nuyorrican said:

By the way you can achieve 10/100/1000 speeds on a Cat 5 cable but it has to be Cat5e.

https://lifehacker.com/whats-the-difference-between-these-ethernet-cables-and-5994163

Just look on the cable and you should be able to read the cable type. If not try to pick up a Cat 6 cable if you want to be sure.

Nah, is a cat 5

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you changed any settings in Advanced WiFi Settings? Are you using Smart Connect for WiFi?

I'm not using smart connect and my advanced settings page look like this as I dont remember if I changed something in the past but I remember changing the channel of both 2.4ghz and 5ghz to the best one.

advanced settings.PNG

• Administrators

That all looks fine. On that page could you disable both 2.4 & 5GHz radios please then apply, then reboot. Then enable them both, apply and reboot the router again and see if that fixes the issue please.

On 3/31/2020 at 9:36 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That all looks fine. On that page could you disable both 2.4 & 5GHz radios please then apply, then reboot. Then enable them both, apply and reboot the router again and see if that fixes the issue please.

It has been several days since I did what you recommended but the wifi continues to disconnect on both frequencies. What can I do? 

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is the iPhone on the latest iOS update? Go to Settings on your iPhone > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings and then see if it works when you reconnect to the WiFi.

I'm going to update it now and reset network settings and will see if it works. Thanks  EDIT: I updated the iphone and reset all network settings but nothing.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:07 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Is the iPhone on the latest iOS update? Go to Settings on your iPhone > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings and then see if it works when you reconnect to the WiFi.

I have another problem too, when I join a cod mw match or any game I play, when I try to ping it, the ping graph on the geo-filter page says that I have 2ms but it's impossible because I live in Spain and the server I am always been connected to is London which give me 40ms. What can I do to solve this issue?

58 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you provide a screenshot of the server you're connecting to that is showing this ping as well as let me know what the ID is and I can look into it.

This is the server that I'm connected most of the times, is located in Italy, Rome and his id is 895fe0abfc28888d

Rome cod mw.PNG

On 4/14/2020 at 11:08 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

It's definitely located in Italy, you literally must be right on top of the server. If you zoom out do you see any servers as there is nothing in your radius.

Hello, I have another problem, since the past week I've been experiencing random wifi disconnects where I don't have internet connection with both frequencies 2,4ghz and 5ghz and have to restart the xr500 or wait like 10 minutes to have internet back, meanwhile the isp router have normal internet access. What can I do?

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In Settings > Advanced > Advanced WiFi Settings disable both the 2.4 & 5GHz radios, apply then reboot. Enable them, apply then reboot again, does the issue continue?

Yes, just happened right now.