Best settings for xr500

Hello, it's been a while since I bought the xr500 and I still don't have find any good settings to optimize my experience. I mainly play fifa 20 on ps4 and fps games on pc such as apex, cod mw or fortnite. I have a 500/500Mb connection. Thanks in advanced for any suggestion.

• Netduma Staff
On 12/21/2019 at 11:03 AM, AzeRuS94 said:

Hello, it's been a while since I bought the xr500 and I still don't have find any good settings to optimize my experience. I mainly play fifa 20 on ps4 and fps games on pc such as apex, cod mw or fortnite. I have a 500/500Mb connection. Thanks in advanced for any suggestion.

Hi AzeRu - let's sort out some settings for you. First off, with those speeds you shouldn't encounter congestion often if at all, so I'd recommend setting Anti-Bufferbloat to 100/100 to maximise throughput.

Each of those games will use somewhat different Geo-Filter settings. CoD MW is the easiest in this case; whenever you play MW, have a Geo-Filter radius of around 1000 - 1500km around your home. I'd set Ping Assist to 30ms as well, though if you live in the middle of nowhere or in a badly supported country, you should use 60ms Ping Assist.

In Fifa, Apex and Fortnite it's less simple. If you play Seasons in Fifa, it's standard matchmaking, so your CoD MW settings will work fine. If you play FUT though, you should look for the closest EA servers while you're playing and set your Geo-Filter radius around that area with Strict Mode on. Same goes for Apex and Fortnite - your objective in those games is to stop the game from connecting you to servers that are really far away, but there's way less to choose from compared to CoD. (Since they're using Dedicated Servers only, rather than P2P).

I hope this makes sense, give it a shot!

4 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi AzeRu - let's sort out some settings for you. First off, with those speeds you shouldn't encounter congestion often if at all, so I'd recommend setting Anti-Bufferbloat to 100/100 to maximise throughput.

Each of those games will use somewhat different Geo-Filter settings. CoD MW is the easiest in this case; whenever you play MW, have a Geo-Filter radius of around 1000 - 1500km around your home. I'd set Ping Assist to 30ms as well, though if you live in the middle of nowhere or in a badly supported country, you should use 60ms Ping Assist.

In Fifa, Apex and Fortnite it's less simple. If you play Seasons in Fifa, it's standard matchmaking, so your CoD MW settings will work fine. If you play FUT though, you should look for the closest EA servers while you're playing and set your Geo-Filter radius around that area with Strict Mode on. Same goes for Apex and Fortnite - your objective in those games is to stop the game from connecting you to servers that are really far away, but there's way less to choose from compared to CoD. (Since they're using Dedicated Servers only, rather than P2P).

In what situations do you need to disable Strict mode?

7 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

So while I play cod mw I set 1000km and 30ms ping assist with strict mode on or off? I live in Spain so I guess I should use 30ms on ping assist. Also the ping that gives mw while in a match is higher than what the xr500 shows me, being 29ms on the ping graph and 45ms in the cod menu. Thanks for your help.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Ownsin said:

In what situations do you need to disable Strict mode?

We introduced Strict Mode due to Destinys' matchmaking so I would only suggest disabling it if you play Destiny.

18 hours ago, AzeRuS94 said:

So while I play cod mw I set 1000km and 30ms ping assist with strict mode on or off? I live in Spain so I guess I should use 30ms on ping assist. Also the ping that gives mw while in a match is higher than what the xr500 shows me, being 29ms on the ping graph and 45ms in the cod menu. Thanks for your help.

Use Strict Mode on. That's normal, the game includes things like processing delay in their calculation of ping. Every game has it but not all choose to show it and there is nothing you can do to change this. The router shows the ping direct to the server which is what you can control so that is the ping you should focus on.

23 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We introduced Strict Mode due to Destinys' matchmaking so I would only suggest disabling it if you play Destiny.

Use Strict Mode on. That's normal, the game includes things like processing delay in their calculation of ping. Every game has it but not all choose to show it and there is nothing you can do to change this. The router shows the ping direct to the server which is what you can control so that is the ping you should focus on.

Okay thanks a lot, but how can I open my nat because while playing on pc the nat is always moderate on cod. My setup is isp router---xr5000----pc   I'm not able to set my isp router as bridge mode because I tried a lot of possible settings but but I end up without having internet connection. I use upnp and all the ports on the xr500 seems to be open but I never have a open nat on pc or ps4 or xbox.

17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you can't use bridge mode or DMZ on the ISP router then port forward on the ISP hub ports 1-65535 TCP/UDP to the XR500 and that should get you an open NAT.

I'm also using dmz but it doesn't work,  so I port forward that ports on the isp router or on the xr500? Do I have to leave upnp enabled on both routers?  I just tried to port forward and the only available option is port triggering and it gives this error:

NAT.PNG

55 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That won't work, you're better off with DMZ. If you're talking about CoD then it's likely just the Geo-Filter causing a misreading, if you disable it then it should open. Then you can just enable it and forget about it.

Even if I have the geo-filter disabled I still having a moderate nat. How can it be a misreading if on the xbox settings it shows as double nat detected and nat moderate and on pc too but on the ps4 setting is type but on every cod is always moderate.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When you use the DMZ, what IP address to you put their? It should be the WAN IP shown in System Information on the router, if you put any other IP such as the IP to access the router it won't work.

Yeah, I always used the wan ip of the xr500 and also set a static ip to avoid any changes.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Put the Xbox in the DMZ of the XR500, does that open the NAT at all? Are you using port forwarding on the XR?

I put it on the dmz of the xr500 but nothing, it stills moderate. I'm using upnp on the xr500 and also on the isp router.

• Administrators

Moderate in the console network settings or on the game itself? If it's open on the console then it does usually indicate a misreading on the game though you may be able to get the reading to say open with port forwarding. I would suggest you disable UPnP on the ISP router as well.

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Moderate in the console network settings or on the game itself? If it's open on the console then it does usually indicate a misreading on the game though you may be able to get the reading to say open with port forwarding. I would suggest you disable UPnP on the ISP router as well.

On both is moderate, so I disable upnp on both routers and I only use port forwarding on the xr500?

• Administrators

Just disable UPnP on the ISP router for now, then check if you have an open NAT on the console network settings. If you don't you can try port forwarding but I think there is something on the ISP router preventing you from getting an open NAT could you provide us a screenshot of your DMZ settings on the hub and a screenshot of System Information please?

I have to port forward UDP 3074 on my XR500 to have open NAT in CoD, even though I have uPNP on.

So on your ISP router, either put the XR500 in DMZ or just forward all ports.

On XR500, port forward UDP 3074.

If you play Modern Warfare I would not worry too much about open NAT since they changed the way the matchmaking works, and because of that it's not so relevant anymore.

3 hours ago, Bert said:

I have to port forward UDP 3074 on my XR500 to have open NAT in CoD, even though I have uPNP on.

So on your ISP router, either put the XR500 in DMZ or just forward all ports.

On XR500, port forward UDP 3074.

If you play Modern Warfare I would not worry too much about open NAT since they changed the way the matchmaking works, and because of that it's not so relevant anymore.

But do I have to disable upnp on the have xr500?? Also if I use port forwarding do I have to manually set all the ports for the ps4, xbox and all the pc games I play? Aren't that a lot of ports? And what if a port is repited for another console?

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just disable UPnP on the ISP router for now, then check if you have an open NAT on the console network settings. If you don't you can try port forwarding but I think there is something on the ISP router preventing you from getting an open NAT could you provide us a screenshot of your DMZ settings on the hub and a screenshot of System Information please?

NAT 2222.PNG

Capturasastsrjtdtyhrg.PNG

• Administrators

That looks fine, the only thing I could think of that might possibly affect it is the static Internet Settings you've made but unlikely, could you try switching it to dynamic and see if anything changes? Is there definitely nothing else in your setup? Is there anything ahead of the hub such as an ONT?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That looks fine, the only thing I could think of that might possibly affect it is the static Internet Settings you've made but unlikely, could you try switching it to dynamic and see if anything changes? Is there definitely nothing else in your setup? Is there anything ahead of the hub such as an ONT?

In the past I've also opened another thread about trying to put the isp router in bridge mode and you mentioned to set a static ip on the hub (isp router) for the xr500 to prevent any changes of the wan ip of the xr500 for dmz and now I don't know how to put it back to dynamic😂.  The setup is fiber optic socket---------huawei isp router-----------xr500---------all devices.

EDIT: This were the settings we changed in the past:

setting 1.PNG

setting 2.PNG

18 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you do the static IP through the XR interface as well?

Yeah

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

From that screenshot could you DHCP relay and option 125 please and apply. Then reboot the XR router please and see if it works properly then.

So I disable both right? 

Captura.PNG