Best settings for xr500

8 minutes ago, AzeRuS94 said:

I wouldn't do a factory reset because there is a big sticker telling to not touch the factory reset button at the back of the router.πŸ˜…

Hmm is there a settings backup option on the ISP router? If the sticker says not to do it, i'd be pretty nervous about doing it to be honest.

2 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Hmm is there a settings backup option on the ISP router? If the sticker says not to do it, i'd be pretty nervous about doing it to be honest.

Yes there is one andΒ I downloaded the backup. Do I proceed with the reset?

• Administrators

Do you require PPPoE for an internet connection? If so the safer option is to just put the information into the console network settings, it should allow you to do this. Also factory resetting hardware is standard practice, they've likely got a sticker on it because if you factory reset and then can't get it working again they'll be annoyed that they need to support you so it's really up to you in this instance. We won't know what settings are required for a connection though not much should be needed anyway and with a back up file it should be easy to get back up and running if needed.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you require PPPoE for an internet connection? If so the safer option is to just put the information into the console network settings, it should allow you to do this. Also factory resetting hardware is standard practice, they've likely got a sticker on it because if you factory reset and then can't get it working again they'll be annoyed that they need to support you so it's really up to you in this instance. We won't know what settings are required for a connection though not much should be needed anyway and with a back up file it should be easy to get back up and running if needed.

I don't use or require PPPoE and I don't want to mess up something with the isp router as I'm not an expert. What can I do?

• Administrators

In that case there should be no reason at all that you can't plug a device directly into the modem and receive a connection. Nothing about your setup should be this difficult to get up and running optimally so it may be best to factory reset both the ISP hub and the router itself and start from scratch. There is a sticker on the router itself but I'm sure if you access the interface it doesn't give you that kind of warning so perhaps do it from the interface instead.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In that case there should be no reason at all that you can't plug a device directly into the modem and receive a connection. Nothing about your setup should be this difficult to get up and running optimally so it may be best to factory reset both the ISP hub and the router itself and start from scratchο»Ώ. There is a sticker on the router itself but I'm sure if you access the interface it doesn't give you that kind of warning so perhaps do it from the interface instead.

So I download the backup file, reset from the isp router interface and then use the backup file to restore everything right? Wouldn't that be the same setup as right now?

On 1/3/2020 at 10:04 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Don't use the backup file immediately, only use it if you can't get a connection either directly connected to it or with the router connected to it?

I resetΒ the isp router and now I'm without internet connection and the backup file doesn't work because the interface give me an error while trying to upload it. I'm waiting for the technicias to come Monday

• Administrators

I don't know why that would be, there must be some specific settings that it requires that you're not aware of. See if they are able to explain it while they're fixing it and then that will help us help you. Depends on the technician but see if they'll sort out the NAT issue for you with the router connected also.

On 1/4/2020 at 8:07 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

See if they are able to explain it while they're fixing it and then that will help us help you.

They have come this morning and used their own laptop and they didn't want to tell me what they were doing, they only said to me to not reset anymore the router.

Β 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:07 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Depends on the technician but see if they'll sort out the NAT issue for you with the router connected also.

I asked if they could explain me how to achieve an open nat but they told me I'm not allowed to enter to the router interfaceπŸ˜•