Only tries to connect to one server (Texas)

Chf Wiggum

I have this problem with every game. No matter what I do it gives me one option in Texas and boots me. It is impossible to use the geo-filter. Is this a setting, is the router broken? Super frustrating. When I go to flush cloud I get an error. Is this the reason it does not work? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

That first IP wasn't accurate so not sure what that was. Is that second one definitely a server that appears when playing? If so you may need to whitelist it in order to filter properly. There should hopefully be a cloud update before the weekend so that may improve your experience.

Have to say after 10 year of owning a NetDuma, I don't understand this router at all. Is there a geo-filter manual on how the internals are trying to connect. The first server always appears as a solid square with a border around it and is one, sometimes two in Texas. This is when I am in the lobby. What is this if not a server because I can ping it and it has an IP? When I click to join a game (In Spectator mode), One server will appear in Texas next to it or Nothing, Zero servers show on the map! matter fact all servers disappear. Every once in a while one will pop up usually in Texas. So I have no idea what server it is connected to and even if I did would not matter because I have zero control to connect to another closer. Any time I put restrictions on the location it will time out, kick me out and wont even let me back into a lobby until I remove all restrictions.

So the cloud update is today? (Friday)  What does the cloud even do? When I flush cloud I get an error, I refresh the page and the same thing happens every time. I am also confused on white listing the server. If it is not on the blacklist would it not automatically be able to connect to this server and there for be white listed? 

One other question is on playing with 2 other peers. Is there any way to force connect the Geo-Filter to a server near me in Chicago. Any time I put restrictions on the location it will time out, kick me out and wont even let me back into a lobby until I remove all restrictions. Making the Geo-Filter pretty much not usable if all it does is kick you out of the room. 

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, Chf Wiggum said:

Have to say after 10 year of owning a NetDuma, I don't understand this router at all. Is there a geo-filter manual on how the internals are trying to connect. The first server always appears as a solid square with a border around it and is one, sometimes two in Texas. This is when I am in the lobby. What is this if not a server because I can ping it and it has an IP? When I click to join a game (In Spectator mode), One server will appear in Texas next to it or Nothing, Zero servers show on the map! matter fact all servers disappear. Every once in a while one will pop up usually in Texas. So I have no idea what server it is connected to and even if I did would not matter because I have zero control to connect to another closer. Any time I put restrictions on the location it will time out, kick me out and wont even let me back into a lobby until I remove all restrictions.

So the cloud update is today? (Friday)  What does the cloud even do? When I flush cloud I get an error, I refresh the page and the same thing happens every time. I am also confused on white listing the server. If it is not on the blacklist would it not automatically be able to connect to this server and there for be white listed? 

One other question is on playing with 2 other peers. Is there any way to force connect the Geo-Filter to a server near me in Chicago. Any time I put restrictions on the location it will time out, kick me out and wont even let me back into a lobby until I remove all restrictions. Making the Geo-Filter pretty much not usable if all it does is kick you out of the room. 

We'll be writing guides and blogs again this year - development has really taken on everyone in the team at the moment! So those servers appearing when you're on the lobby are called Matchmaking Servers, or maybe NAT / Authentication servers. Those kinds of things are often whitelisted by us, since without them the game wouldn't work online.

I'm not sure why no servers are appearing for you... The Geo-Filter works differently depending on the game being played. Apex is a game where you can select a server on the game menu, so usually the Geo-Filter is a bit more restricted. The game doesn't have as many server locations as, say, Call of Duty, so it's best to try and find the closest one to you and set the radius around that.

The cloud update is coming out soon - the error you're getting is likely because there isn't a new version to upgrade to. Whitelisting a server means even if it's outside the radius, it'll never get blocked. (Since in Filtering Mode, everything outside the circle is blocked unless it's whitelisted). That's the functionality there :)

In short, the Geo-Filter works better in some games than others depending on how the Game Developers have set up their game. If they've made the game very restrictive you might find it hard to force a server.

Yup on Apex Legends for XBOX this router is pretty useless. It connects to a Texas peer server 29 out of 30 times. If I legit want an Iowa server I have to re connect 30 times to get a match. Also I blacklisted close to 200 servers in Texas and they still have new IP's and servers. How is this possible? 

1 hour ago, Chf Wiggum said:

Is there a way to block entire blocks of servers? All the Texas servers start with 204.74.____.____. Is there any way to block the entire range of IP addresses? Thanks

Upon research, it looks like it's a little over four thousand servers for Texas. 2020-01-15_19-21-03.png.6d52fff8aa7b73c888263b8a3c98236e.png

XR500? What is the point of the allow/deny button if you have to block 4000 servers? I see a ton of threads on Apex have your team found any solutions for this game on server select or is it pretty bad? I ask because this is pretty much the only game I play at the moment. 

• Administrators

Copying and pasting my response to your other topic as it's relevant.

No that's not currently possible (to add a range) but I have added it to our ideas list. I don't think that would work though as if you're using the Geo-Filter to block that range entirely anyway then blocking them using the deny list would have the same affect. I've asked the team for an update on Apex and hopefully this can be resolved with a simple cloud update. It might be the case that you just have to select the server in game and then monitor the game using the Geo-Filter in Spectating Mode instead.

I guess it is an Respawn/Apex problem. When the game starts up it pings all the servers on the list. IOWA is the lowest ping and so I have the Iowa server selected. With IOWA selected it almost always tries to put me in a Dallas server which is terrible. 1 out of 20 tries I will get a St. Louis server which is what I want like 13ms, lighting fast, but NEVER do I get connected to a server in IOWA although it pings it when the game starts. The Dallas servers are terrible for me running at about 60ms feels like I die instantly and cant get a shot off. If it were not for the NETDUMA I would think I was connected to an Iowa server. I have switched to the New York servers which run around 40ms, but are still a hell of a lot better than Dallas and give me a New York server 95% of the time. If you can think of any solutions to this let me know. If I have an extra 30 minutes I will wait for St. Louis  but sucks I cant get it to connect to these servers all the time. Is there a way to stay in the game matchmaking until one opens up?