Problems are not ending with XR500

Hello again guys... 

I don't know if its my luck or it's just me... So new problems am facing now... 

1. After i manage to get full speeds with QoS enable.. Now i face this strange issue.. 

Am able to get full speeds for 5-10 mins and after my Internet speed drops again and i need to unplug and plug again my ethernet cable in order to get again the correct speeds .. 

For example :

if i speed test now from my providers modem i will get from 125-130 mbps download

From my XR500 i will get the same 125-130 download 

AFTER 10-15 mins if i speed test again i will get from my XR500 80-90 mbps download... 

Why??? 

2. Secondly and most annoying, trying to fix the above problem i reboot the XR500, and suddenly no Internet... 

I tried reboot the xr500 4-5 times more but still nothing i only got an Amber light at Internet port and no Internet.. 

In order to get internet again i had to reset both routers... And this is really annoying.. 

So that time i face that 2 serious problems.. Any solutions about that?? 

I have those same issues as yourself. And honestly I think we will have to wait and see what the next new firmware does. That's my only thought. Ive tried several things to find a work around but nothing seemed to work. You can see what Netduma says but in my eyes it seems like a firmware issue.. Did you have issues like this with the R1?

Good luck!

Zippy.

Yes Im loosing speeds too. Basically right now as I write this ive lost 68M. Who knows where it went to or why I lost it. Ive triple checked everything and its the router loosing the speed. If I connect directly to my modem Im back to normal. If I do a hard reset to the router my speeds are back. But will loose my speeds again.. Sometimes they stay fairly normal for hours on end to days. Then all of a sudden they drop again. Even with buffer bloat on Never my speeds do this. My router which is the XR500 eats bandwidth..

Also when I do a reboot sometimes it works and then sometimes it doesn't. The other night I noticed my Traffic Prioritization wasn't working. So I did a basic reboot to see if it would fix that. But when I did a reboot my router wouldn't reconnect. So then I had to proceed to a full factory reset. After a few of those I finally got it to connect again. And my Traffic Prioritization was working again. But my speeds still would drop randomly.  

For some reason when my speeds drop my receiving packets are either getting dropped or being filtered. It acts almost like the firewall on the router is doing this. Whats strange about this is it will randomly seem to do this. Is it the firewall. It could be. But when I say it acts like it doesn't mean it is a firewall issue.. There are other things that can give this effect. But the through put of this router is vastly hindered when my speeds drop. So in return I take a performance hit from this. 

Hope this helps explain a bit better of what is happening to me. We do have similar issues no doubt. 

Zippy.

What FW version are you using? 

Try reverting fw back to v32 or maybe even first version of FW and see if the problem is seen there? Factory reset and setup from scratch if you do this.

What Mfr and model# ISP modem do you have? 

Any other WiFi neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:38 AM, gkontos10 said:

Hello again guys... 

I don't know if its my luck or it's just me... So new problems am facing now... 

1. After i manage to get full speeds with QoS enable.. Now i face this strange issue.. 

Am able to get full speeds for 5-10 mins and after my Internet speed drops again and i need to unplug and plug again my ethernet cable in order to get again the correct speeds .. 

For example :

if i speed test now from my providers modem i will get from 125-130 mbps download

From my XR500 i will get the same 125-130 download 

AFTER 10-15 mins if i speed test again i will get from my XR500 80-90 mbps download... 

Why??? 

2. Secondly and most annoying, trying to fix the above problem i reboot the XR500, and suddenly no Internet... 

I tried reboot the xr500 4-5 times more but still nothing i only got an Amber light at Internet port and no Internet.. 

In order to get internet again i had to reset both routers... And this is really annoying.. 

So that time i face that 2 serious problems.. Any solutions about that?? 

16 hours ago, Zippy said:

Yes Im loosing speeds too. Basically right now as I write this ive lost 68M. Who knows where it went to or why I lost it. Ive triple checked everything and its the router loosing the speed. If I connect directly to my modem Im back to normal. If I do a hard reset to the router my speeds are back. But will loose my speeds again.. Sometimes they stay fairly normal for hours on end to days. Then all of a sudden they drop again. Even with buffer bloat on Never my speeds do this. My router which is the XR500 eats bandwidth..

Also when I do a reboot sometimes it works and then sometimes it doesn't. The other night I noticed my Traffic Prioritization wasn't working. So I did a basic reboot to see if it would fix that. But when I did a reboot my router wouldn't reconnect. So then I had to proceed to a full factory reset. After a few of those I finally got it to connect again. And my Traffic Prioritization was working again. But my speeds still would drop randomly.  

For some reason when my speeds drop my receiving packets are either getting dropped or being filtered. It acts almost like the firewall on the router is doing this. Whats strange about this is it will randomly seem to do this. Is it the firewall. It could be. But when I say it acts like it doesn't mean it is a firewall issue.. There are other things that can give this effect. But the through put of this router is vastly hindered when my speeds drop. So in return I take a performance hit from this. 

Hope this helps explain a bit better of what is happening to me. We do have similar issues no doubt. 

Zippy.

Zippy that exact is my issue.. 

Couldn't describe it better 

Guest Killhippie
4 hours ago, Mikzxr said:

I have just given up and put the xr500 into AP mode and set up a ubiquiti edgerouterx. All good now!

Find a R7800 second hand, they have much better Wi-Fi than the XR500. No idea why but something Netgear did antenna wise on the XR500 reduced throughput especially over 5Ghz and also coverage wise compared to the R7800 yet they are technically the same router. Also the R7800 can use high gain antenna if needed, as it has standard mounts unlike the XR500's. :)

• Administrators

Are you using anything to connect the modem and the router together such as a powerline adapter or switch or anything like that or are they literally next to each other connected via ethernet? The router can be temperamental when it comes to power and it doesn't get enough of it, do you have it connected via an extension lead? If it's plugged directly to the wall can you see if both issues are still present?

Guest Killhippie
On 10/29/2019 at 7:10 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you using anything to connect the modem and the router together such as a powerline adapter or switch or anything like that or are they literally next to each other connected via ethernet? The router can be temperamental when it comes to power and it doesn't get enough of it, do you have it connected via an extension lead? If it's plugged directly to the wall can you see if both issues are still present?

I did a bit of research into this considering a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) can run servers and have their own built in brownout, surge and AVR  (Automatic Voltage Regulation) especially on pure sine wave models. Power strips with surge protection are a good idea for the safety to the connected device too. Basically all plugs will get the same access to power. Your main outlets themselves are technically power strips too. In general several wall sockets or outlets share a run of wire back to the power source, the external power strip/surge protector or UPS is no different, it just provides more connection points to the same electrical circuit. However, the total circuit capacity is neither increased nor decreased by a power strip/surge protector.

Devices draw current based on their needs, for example a motor generally draws more power when loaded than when spinning freely. If the total draw exceeds the circuit capacity, a protective device will trip. The protective device is usually a 32A MCB or in a residential ring main with 2.5mm wiring, in the UK. Other countries wiring codes may vary. A ring main is like a scaled up power strip/surge protector basically. Extra connections or total extension cord length can have a minor effect, this effect is usually negligible. A word of warning is always use the right power strip for the job as a long thin cord with a heavy load can heat up, using up some of the electricity in transmission, the wire becomes an electric resistance heater which you don't want so never exceed the power strips total load which in the UK is generally 13amp. :)

If you have a gaming rig, or a console that cost good money get a UPS of the right size by a reputable company like APC or others, yes they cost a few hundred pounds but the electricity is clean, no drops in power (brownouts ) surge protection and AVR so smooth power is always provided and if the power goes off will keep going long enough for you to turn things off, before damage occurs or data loss, and attached to a computer it will turn off automatically (my iMac has the feature to recognise a UPS) and you can set how long you want it to stay on until a percentage or time on the UPS power is reached. I think windows does the same, or you can load up whatever software comes with the UPS. My 27" iMac, modem and router and printer and speaker system are also connected to one or three I have so if the power goes down I can use the net happily until it comes back up (as long as its not over 4 hours)