Anti bufferbloat sucks!!!

Alright I just recently spend almost $300 on the xr500 for my gaming experience. I play on Xbox one mainly shooter and the only games I play are cod, Apex legends, destiny2. I am frustrated I did everything optimally suggested from the dumaos yet I have a horrible experience when gaming. Example! If I see my target first and I shot first and I did everything right on my part I shouldnt be the 1st one to die instantly. So I knew something was off because it was like this for the other games so I went and tested my bufferbloat on dslreport.com even though you guys are telling me use pingplotter etc I'm not wasting my time downloading a free trial of bs when I clearly feel the difference in my gaming and dslreport is accurately confirming it... I seriously need some help if not I'm just going to return this product. Like $300 of false advertisement? Wow!

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry that your initial impressions of DumaOS have been so negative. DumaOS gives you the tools to improve your connection, but it's not a one click solution. We'll need to figure out the best settings for your connection.

--

Okay so firstly QoS. Using Anti-Bufferbloat we can balance the bandwidth usage of devices on your network. This means that we can make sure that your gaming traffic always has enough room to get through unimpeded. For most people's connections, we have found that setting both sliders to 70% works best. The ideal situation would be to test using PingPlotter but as a starting point, 70% is best.

The reason we suggest using PingPlotter is because it allows you to diagnose when and why ping spikes are happening.

Our bufferbloat solution is quite unique (not based on the standard methods) so often DSLreports doesn't detect it properly.

Next, you should make sure that your console gets prioritized in Traffic Prioritization. DumaOS Classified Games should catch most gaming traffic, but if it doesn't, you can manually add your device. This will make sure that traffic for your console is always processed first, and will also trigger Anti-BB if you've got it set to Auto.

--

The Geo-Filter can be used to block servers that don't meet your criteria. It can't give you a low ping game if no low ping game exists, but it can filter out bad servers.

You should set a radius around your house that you consider reasonable. This really is a personal choice, but for example since I live in the UK I have my filter covering western europe.

You can then set Ping Assist to a level you think is reasonable. Ping Assist will allow any game outside of your radius, providing it meets the ping requirements you've set. This feature is handy because it will add in a tolerance for mislocated servers.

--

If you're still experiencing bad gameplay, we might need to look at your network layout. For example, what is the XR500 connected to upstream? Is it connected straight to a modem, or is it connected to another router? Also, are you getting a Strict NAT type? We might need to fix that if so.

I'm connected to the modem and my nat is open. Everything is ok except sometimes I can't connect to certain party chat due to the Geo filter I believe. The Geo filter is probably the most useful kit in this xr500 but man it's so frustrating even if my Geo is set to around my area I'm supposed to be good with no lag and I get it we can't control all the lag but man everytime I shoot at someone I'm dead accurate I'm usually a 3.0kd in any if not most shooters, to feel that I did everything right on my part but I'm still getting punish. I don't have access to pingplotter sorry I don't own a PC or laptop to download. I'm currently running 70/70% and my Xbox is priority as game console, my total bandwidth for up and down are 200 down/35up max. Geo filter is set to my area and it's set to 2000km radius, strict mode, auto ping host, 25 ms for ping assist. Sometimes I even have difficulties logging in to Apex legends I waste literally 30-45min just to get in just so it could happen again I'm fed up I increased the radius etc still hit or miss. As for destiny I use the destiny profile and same issues sometime when I go against another person. You guys need to implement sqm/ cake or something because that was way better for me than this sorry. If you can attempt in helping please... If I see a difference I'll cancel the return process. Because I'm not having fun and so as many user out there even content creators.

I'm a content creator on YouTube and have had no issues with the XR500.

The big * is that DumaOS takes time to nail down good settings for a gamer who plays lots of different things.

One setting might be great for Cod but not so much for Apex & so on.

Eventually you'll find a setup that works good for most games.

The few that give you trouble you'll eventually find settings for as well.

I started out with the R1 years ago and grabbed a XR500 when it was released.

The one thing I witch NetDuma would put in bold somewhere on the interface or somewhere obvious is that it takes time to find good settings for all games.

I've notice many comments on many of my DumaOS videos where people have the same kinds of issues.

I explain that it takes time however once you find a good spot your online gaming experience will get better.

Looking back at comments I feel as though people think DumaOS is plug in play with minimal user adjustments.

That's simply not the case as everyone has a different setup.

DumaOS requires you to take the time to adjust things & find your sweet spot.

I can be a bit difficult but it's worth it in the end.

Good Luck!

2 minutes ago, ScottsGameRoom said:

One feature we're going to add at some point is the ability to save and load custom profiles in Geo-Filter, so that you don't have to lose your settings for one game when you play another.

2 minutes ago, ScottsGameRoom said:

Looking back at comments I feel as though people think DumaOS is plug in play with minimal user adjustments.

It's true that currently DumaOS is more like a big toolbox than something plug and play. A lot of people seem to think that simply by connecting an XR500, they'll get less lag, but unfortunately there isn't really a one size fits all solution.

That said, in future versions we will be looking to automate as much as possible. I'd like to have an out of the box "easy mode" that sets things up for you. For now we're more focused on the power user demographic.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

One feature we're going to add at some point is the ability to save and load custom profiles in Geo-Filter, so that you don't have to lose your settings for one game when you play another.

It's true that currently DumaOS is more like a big toolbox than something plug and play. A lot of people seem to think that simply by connecting an XR500, they'll get less lag, but unfortunately there isn't really a one size fits all solution.

That said, in future versions we will be looking to automate as much as possible. I'd like to have an out of the box "easy mode" that sets things up for you. For now we're more focused on the power user demographic.

That sounds awesome!

The future of DumaOS looks bright.

My YouTube community is going to really enjoy the future of DumaOS.

Thanks for taking feedback & making the best product y'all can.

1 hour ago, ScottsGameRoom said:

I'm a content creator on YouTube and have had no issues with the XR500.

The big * is that DumaOS takes time to nail down good settings for a gamer who plays lots of different things.

Eventually you'll find a setup that works good for most games.

The few that give you trouble you'll eventually find settings for as well.

I started out with the R1 years ago and grabbed a XR500 when it was released.

The one thing I witch NetDuma would put in bold somewhere on the interface or somewhere obvious is that it takes time to find good settings for all games.

I've notice many comments on many of my DumaOS videos where people have the same kinds of issues.

I explain that it takes time however once you find a good spot your online gaming experience will get better.

That's simply not the case as everyone has a different setup.

DumaOS requires you to take the time to adjust things & find your sweet spot.

I can be a bit difficult but it's worth it in the end.

Good Luck!

I've seen your videos... I followed some of your advices but you never did a dslreport results or gameplay... Example like sims video. Idk I feel laggy and it's not butter smooth like what I used to have openwrt with cake script. Also perfect scores. I understand that what one admin is saying about dslreport not being accurate but I can feel it and see it on real time gameplay. 

• Administrators

If you're having issues with party chat, logging into the game etc then look at the Geo-Filter when this issue happens. If there is something being blocked then allow it and that should resolve the issue. The PingPlotter guide is to help you fine tune Anti-Bufferbloat to find the percentage that works for you - 70% is a starting point but usually works for most people. If you don't have access to a PC to do this then I would suggest decreasing your Anti-Bufferbloat by 10% and playing and seeing how it is. If it's not great then decrease it more. Then you could do increments of 5% once you get closer to what works. Then use 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' so you don't throttle yourself a lot when not gaming.

• 7 months later...

I 100 percent agree with Miguel. There is nothing you can do to get around lag compensation. The shit is built into the game by the game developers. The type of lag compensation it has is the kind that helps people with higher ping be able to compete against those with lower pings. That's how they tweaked their lag compensation since MW3. Before that game, the person with host or with low ping always had the advantage. There are countless educational videos on this topic on YT if you would like to take a look. Too bad of ping is bad and too good of ping is bad. These Netgear employees are telling you what they are paid to. They are simply doing their job and defending their product. You won't get any clear answers here. You either have to live down the street from a dedicated server or hack and not admit it like the rest of the big COD players on YouTube

6 hours ago, phyzyc said:

I 100 percent agree with Miguel. There is nothing you can do to get around lag compensation. The shit is built into the game by the game developers. The type of lag compensation it has is the kind that helps people with higher ping be able to compete against those with lower pings. That's how they tweaked their lag compensation since MW3. Before that game, the person with host or with low ping always had the advantage. There are countless educational videos on this topic on YT if you would like to take a look. Too bad of ping is bad and too good of ping is bad. These Netgear employees are telling you what they are paid to. They are simply doing their job and defending their product. You won't get any clear answers here. You either have to live down the street from a dedicated server or hack and not admit it like the rest of the big COD players on YouTube

This.

Games like call of duty which use dedicated servers balance out latency in the lobby. If you have low ping but there is some hotspot lagmaster in your lobby it will give you a disadvantage.

You can use the XR500 to tune the stability of your connection and use geofilter but it won't fix stuff like lag compensation etc.

The issue with these games is that everybody and their dog is fiddling with their connections, playing on hotspots on purpose, throttling, streaming while not having enough BW etc and it actually defeats the purpose.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

This.

Games like call of duty which use dedicated servers balance out latency in the lobby. If you have low ping but there is some hotspot lagmaster in your lobby it will give you a disadvantage.

You can use the XR500 to tune the stability of your connection and use geofilter but it won't fix stuff like lag compensation etc.

The issue with these games is that everybody and their dog is fiddling with their connections, playing on hotspots on purpose, throttling, streaming while not having enough BW etc and it actually defeats the purpose.

So: geolocation will allow you to find a server with a higher ping, in case the game uses lag compensation. The ABB will allow you to stabilize your connection, if you are several at home!
Depending on your initial ping, the best is to find a server between 30 and 50 ms. Lots of people are using their 4G connection now, behind dumaOS, I think it's a perfect combo!